PDA

View Full Version : I GOT IT RUNNING!!!!!! (Honda ATC90 1970)

re-lapse
03-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Wooooooooooo finally got it running, I'll get riding pictures and videos up eventually, possibly tomorrow...I'm so psyched! Has no power whatsoever, because I'm a huge guy, 6' 265lbs, on a 90cc? But it's hella fun! :)

Thanks guys!!!!!! For all the help!!!

IT was the timing, and adjusting the points :)

--Bret

350xBomb
03-06-2007, 04:31 AM
Hell yea dude...one of the greatest feelings right there...:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

re-lapse
03-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Hell yea dude...one of the greatest feelings right there...:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Yeah man it starts on 1 pull easily, like to compression chugs and it's started.. only thing is now is to tune it a bit, cus everytime you shift down it pops it up but doesn't give you enough power to keep the wheelie going, unless of course you lean way back which I've already flipped it ^_^, but riding on 2 wheels is simple as hell , I've only jumped it a few times cus I don't have a big jump out here, but I have a ditch that I hit, it has 5 gears and I can't get it going fast enough to get past the 3rd gear.. I dunno it just doesn't gain much speed, fine by me, but I love speed ya know?

If you have any suggestions, hit me up. I know I need to adjust the throttle because it sticks sometimes, but it's an old bike and I didn't even expect it to hardly get me moving, as big as I am. But I have a blast on the ol thing, I remember when I was like 12 and I owned a piecer like that, it was a yamaha though, and man was it fun, I use to be able to ride on 2 wheels forever, and ride wheelies and what have ye, but I gotta get all that back.. haha, this one just doesn't have enough power in it right now to do so.....so my question to you, is... Should it?

--Brett

Vealmonkey
03-06-2007, 04:02 PM
A 1970 atc 90 shouldn't have 5 gears in it. If it has 5 gears it is a different engine. You might try adjusting the clutch some to make sure it is not slipping. You also need to spray some wd40 or something down inside the cable cover and the throttle wire itself to help lube it up some.

re-lapse
03-06-2007, 04:39 PM
A 1970 atc 90 shouldn't have 5 gears in it. If it has 5 gears it is a different engine. You might try adjusting the clutch some to make sure it is not slipping. You also need to spray some wd40 or something down inside the cable cover and the throttle wire itself to help lube it up some.

I've only gotten into 4 gears, I took it out on the highway and it wouldn't go any further, so maybe it only has 4. My brother was convincing me it had five for some reason.

It's fairly hard to shift, like you have to literally kick it sometimes to get it to go, and to get it back into first it's a *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* normally you have to put your hand down there, and pull it up manually. Sucks when you're on a hill and you need a higher gear with more power, such as first.

I been riding a lot lately, almost out of gas. But, those are the really only two things I see wrong with it, it normally starts on one to two pulls, easily. It pops a wheelie EVERY time you kick it into first, and sometimes if you shift into second, same result. It's a pain in the ass to turn, cus the front wheel just kinda lifts up and doesn't turn, you have to lean forward quite a bit, is there something I can do so it turns easier? I don't mind it a whole lot, but for the ladies out here that ride it, they need it a bit easier to turn so they can make wide turns. with me, I just whip it 'round and throw my weight to turrn if it doesn't do it on it's own, which seems to work fairly well in any condition. But, those are a few things I need some assistance on.

WD40? Got it, I'll do that. I think the throttle cable is just a little sticky, and I'll do that later today when I have some help. Uhm, other then that, any recommendations on the issue's listed above? I'll post a link of me riding eventually, but the only ones I have now are me riding it, and holding my camera phone. Yeah, it's difficult. :)

--Brett

phreakboy
03-06-2007, 10:52 PM
For the turning, Just make sure that all of your tires only have 2 psi in them, adjust your clutch and also, Just wanted to make sure you have it in low range.

jason85atc250r
03-06-2007, 11:07 PM
run around with it it low range. they are really peppy little things if you do that. i have a 1970 atc 90 also

re-lapse
03-06-2007, 11:22 PM
For the turning, Just make sure that all of your tires only have 2 psi in them, adjust your clutch and also, Just wanted to make sure you have it in low range.

The front tire is not a balloon tire so it holds more air, but the other two back balloon tires have 2psi in them. I do have it in Low range when I ride.

--Brett

re-lapse
03-06-2007, 11:27 PM
run around with it it low range. they are really peppy little things if you do that. i have a 1970 atc 90 also

I do run around in low range. They do have pep, but it pops a wheelie every single time I pop it in first. It's not a big deal, but I always fear flippin' it, ya know?

I'm not to worried as it won't hurt, but I'm afraid for it to fall back down and keep going :lol:

I'm going to put some WD40 in the throttle so it doesn't rev so high and stick. Everything else is fine, except for tonight I ran out of gas and I put a full tank in and rode it for a bit, but the gear got stuck in neutral and was really lose, so I shut it off and tightened it and tried to start it, but it wouldn't start. I think it's either A. Overheated, B. Flooded, or C. Both.. so.. hopefully letting it sit over night will fix this issue, but we'll see. :)

Input is needed, thanks again!

--Brett