PDA

View Full Version : PJ1 paint gets my vote .

Huffa
03-05-2007, 08:15 PM
This is the best spray paint in a can I have ever used. It's well worth the few extra bucks.

The durability test, scratching it with my finger nail, did nothing to it, while other paints I could either scuff or scratch the paint right off with just a little effort.

On the last coat I went a bit closer (8" maybe) then they specify (12" or so) and it got a better gloss to it. Runs are no worry at all, the stuff covers real nice.

I know it's been talked about before, just wanted to give my 2 cents on it.

BigGreenMachine
03-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Looks very nice. What prep work did you do Huffa?

Chris Smith
03-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Definitely looks good. How many coats did you use and how long did you wait till doing the "scratch" test?

erectordale
03-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I agree Huffa this PJ-1 is the good stuff !!!! I use their exhaust paint and their motor paint and swear by it nothing coats this quick and holds up as well

Huffa
03-05-2007, 10:11 PM
The prep was nothing out of the ordinary, just used a wire wheel on drill, wire handle brushes, sand paper (220 or 320) to roughen the paint up a bit where it wasn't rusted, acetone to clean the parts good and blast away.

I waited a day for the finger nail test.

I used 2 coats of primer, 2 lite PJ'ers and one last heavier one for sheen reasons.

I'll never use any other spray paint in a can again, for metal parts that is.

Engine cases I prefer VHT Case paint which matches factory black quite well.

http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/vht_oils.htm

I don't like a flat coat painted engine, nor do I like it super glossy and that's why I like the case paint.

I had to order the PJ1 cans though, so far no one close in my area sells the black.

Huffa
03-05-2007, 10:16 PM
I agree Huffa this PJ-1 is the good stuff !!!! I use their exhaust paint and their motor paint and swear by it nothing coats this quick and holds up as well

I guess it's because it's epoxy paint, why it holds up so good?

You have a place near by that you can just P/U ?

I don't :cry:

Huffa
03-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Now time for the frame to be painted. It's all prepped and ready to blast.

Didn't take the front end off because that part of the frame is fine, see no need to do the extra work when it doesn't call for it and besides, it's easier to hang from ceiling this way.

chris200x
03-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Geez, your one little busy bee down there in Slatington are you? :confused: I'll be droping of the 185s for you to detail soon. :naughty:

In all seriousness though.. I'm kinda anxious to see how this holds up. I'm starting to wonder if it was worth the $200 to powdercoat my frame. :wondering

I'm not sure if you mentioned it or not but are you using their primer and/or clearcoat as well?

Huffa
03-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Your PC job I'm sure you will be thrilled with and certainly the PJ won't compare with the durability or the shine I bet but yea, I'm anxious to see how it holds up too but I'm a poor tester for it, meaning that the 125 won't get driven a heck of a lot for a true durability test.

I can just tell by how hard it is that it will easily out perform any other rattle job for sure. It's a porcelin epoxy, not sure if any other companies sell spray with those ingrediants in them?

Just using "regular primer" and no clear coat. Somewhere I read you don't usae a clear coat with this product, I would not use one anyway for touch up reasons.

Got to go hit it with another primer coat ..............

A frame is a pain to do, got to make sure you have good light and walk around the thing 20 times to make sure you don't miss anything, personally I liked doing the motor better.

I wish it was warm out so I could have done it outside (too long of a wait for that though:( ), I open the doors up just for a few minutes to air it out.

For the most part I'm talking to myself here, but that's OK, I do that anyway :lol: :crazy:

Might as well post the finished product now that it's done. It looks a bit, shall we say gun metal grey?.........but it's not, that's just the flash doing that.

In a few days the fun part of putting it back together begins :D

Dave223
03-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Ive used the pj1 also, it can be bought in many colors at dennis kirk. Another alternative but not as many colors: At Lowes they sell "appliance paint" It comes in gloss black and white, almond too I believe. Its also an epoxy paint, same as PJ1.
Huffa, do the instuctions say to recoat in a few minutes or wait 24 hours? If you recoat an hour after the first coat, it may cause blisters, just something to be aware of.

I painted the tank on my wifes SX with the Epoxy, after a few gas spills it hasnt yellowed or blistered, seems to be good stuff!

Bryan Raffa
03-06-2007, 10:17 PM
I picked up some more today 2 cans of fast black and 2 of the silver barrel. Got a motor to do tomorrow Ill post how it comes out..

Huffa
03-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Ive used the pj1 also, it can be bought in many colors at dennis kirk. Another alternative but not as many colors: At Lowes they sell "appliance paint" It comes in gloss black and white, almond too I believe. Its also an epoxy paint, same as PJ1.
Huffa, do the instuctions say to recoat in a few minutes or wait 24 hours? If you recoat an hour after the first coat, it may cause blisters, just something to be aware of.

I painted the tank on my wifes SX with the Epoxy, after a few gas spills it hasnt yellowed or blistered, seems to be good stuff!

:lol: I am one to read all directions, I'd :eek: freak :eek: if it started to blister !!

Can says in caps : " APPLY THIN EVEN COATS AT 10 MINUTE INTERVALS"

.......so what ever additives are in the can must be different from what you are using?

Yamahauler
03-06-2007, 10:44 PM
That looks really good. I think I will have to find some for some small parts that I wont be getting powdered.

Not meaning to jack your thread, but has anyone ever used this stuff on there motor? (high temperature clear coat) Looks like a good product, just wonering what else is out there.http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/vhtclear.htm

Huffa
03-06-2007, 10:44 PM
I picked up some more today 2 cans of fast black and 2 of the silver barrel. Got a motor to do tomorrow Ill post how it comes out..

I prefer the satin case paint which I mentioned earlier for a motor, you sure you want the motor that shiny using the Fast Black?

Silver barrel, that's for the cylinder & head?

Huffa
03-06-2007, 10:50 PM
That looks really good. I think I will have to find some for some small parts that I wont be getting powdered.

Not meaning to jack your thread, but has anyone ever used this stuff on there motor? (high temperature clear coat) Looks like a good product, just wonering what else is out there.http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/vhtclear.htm

I'd don't mind Hi Jack jobs at all and that link may just help me out!

I have a motoxer where I took the paint off the clutch cover and polish it up like a mirror, with out even riding the bike in a few weeks it goes dull on me and I have to do the 10 minute or longer polish job again.

That seems to be exactly what I need, Thanks buddy!

torker
05-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Hey there Guys: A few questions.
1. Can someone tell me if the PJ1 comes in the 86-87 gray?
2. If not where can I find such a color for the engine? Everyone seems to have
the black satin paint.
3. How does the PJ1 holds up to pressure wash?
4. How many cans for an engine?

I need to paint 2 complete engines (minus the cylinders and heads) and I wanted the factory gray for my 86 250R.

Please help!!!

TORKER.

Bryan Raffa
05-04-2007, 09:55 PM
few diffrent grays www.pj1.com