PDA

View Full Version : 250 sx Tires

Bo0YaA
03-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Hello everybody,

Im new to the boards and as of this past Saturday a new owner of a 85 250 sx. Ive owned a couple trikes in the past but nothing this nice so I have a couple questions.

First: It needs new rear tires and the size that are currently on it are 22x11x8, I was wondering if going to a larger size in order to get a little more clearence would affect the power at all.

Second: The seat that is on it is in perfect condition however where it meets the tank there is a gap darn near 2 inches. Is this the wrong seat? perhaps a different model?

Third: where could I go to find a front rack for this bike? they are not real useful I know but do give me a place to grab ahold of when loading.

And one final question (for now lol) the guy I bought it from says that at times it will die and all I need to do is remove the gas cap for a few seconds and it will start right back up....Whats up with that?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to being a part of this group.

Huffa
03-05-2007, 03:01 PM
First: It needs new rear tires and the size that are currently on it are 22x11x8, I was wondering if going to a larger size in order to get a little more clearence would affect the power at all.

22x11x8 can vary some what between tire makers, I have that size on mine and don't have any ground clearence problems. A larger size may rub the fenders too when using the suspension travel. It would effect the power a bit with it being geared a little taller. Below are my Maxxis All Tracks which I highly recommend for trail riding rough, rocky terrian but they work pretty decent in all sorts of terrian.

Second: The seat that is on it is in perfect condition however where it meets the tank there is a gap darn near 2 inches. Is this the wrong seat? perhaps a different model?

That's normal for that model and can be remedied by heating the seat base up and holding it in the postion needed for it to be plush with tank. That's what I heard anyway, I never tried it yet.

Third: where could I go to find a front rack for this bike? they are not real useful I know but do give me a place to grab ahold of when loading.

Not sure what you mean, "grab a hold when loading" ?

And one final question (for now lol) the guy I bought it from says that at times it will die and all I need to do is remove the gas cap for a few seconds and it will start right back up....Whats up with that?

Your gas cap is defective most likely and not letting air come in the tank as fuel is flowing out of it. Make sure it is in the ON postion.

:welcome:

Post a few pictures of it if you can. How much did you get it for?

Dirtcrasher
03-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Hello everybody,

Im new to the boards and as of this past Saturday a new owner of a 85 250 sx. Ive owned a couple trikes in the past but nothing this nice so I have a couple questions.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to being a part of this group.

The SX is geared low so the 25" 250ES type tires would be fine. All depends on your use. Are you gonna race it around or just cruise along and use it around the yard etc? Which would make that front rack usefull. They also make a hitch for the rear end for a trailer and pulling other stuff. Maybe it would help when loading the ATC but if there is no other use, I wouldn't want it. You'll have to make your own front rack or plan on paying around 100$ for one on EBAY.

I Actually run 20" tires on my SX, makes it much quicker and a better handling MX type of machine but it certainly creates a loss of top end speed.

All the old seats do that, unless your a big cosmetics fan don't sweat it although it could be the wrong seat...I have had no success in fixing that tank to seat gap.

The cap is plugged and not allowing air to enter so the tank gets a negative pressure as fuel is drawn into the carburetor. You can take it apart and clean it or grab a used on on EBAY for 10$ or so.

chris200x
03-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Not sure what you mean, "grab a hold when loading" ?

The front rack is also useful when toting your favorite beverages to you local fishing hole. :naughty: They also help protect your plastics when you have a rollover. :)

Adding larger rear tires to your ride will give it a higher top end speed. Personally I'd stick with the 22's. I've run wooley boggers on the back of both my SX's for years with good results. I've recently switched over to 22x11x8 ITP mudlites and I'm very pleased. I guess it all depends on what kind of terrian you ride on. ;)

You can try heating your seatpan until it's soft and rebending it to fit your tank better. I've personally never tried it but have read it here on the forums.

Huffa
03-05-2007, 03:39 PM
The cap is plugged and not allowing air to enter so the tank gets a negative pressure as fuel is drawn into the carburetor. You can take it apart and clean it or grab a used on on EBAY for 10$ or so.

They come apart ? :wondering :confused:

Bo0YaA
03-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

What i ment on the front rack was its something to grab ahold of when im loading it into my trailer lol.

As far as what im looking for in a machine, Im not a speed demon, I love low raw power :w00t: I wanna be able to climb up a brick wall at 2mph if i can get the traction to do so lol. Im already looking at a 350x carb to put on this bike because ive read in these forums that it will increase low end power... Is this true??

What i was thinking about doing is getting another set of rims and putting some real aggresive tires on them and putting some turf tamer types on another set.
Which brings me to yet another question lol what other year make and models rims will fit my bike?

BTW I picked it up for $580.00 + a 4 hour round trip drive lol But it was worth every min and every penny!! Ill post some pics later.

Bo0YaA
03-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Ive been looking around for some wheels that fit my bike, anybody have any sitten around?

Huffa
03-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Ive been looking around for some wheels that fit my bike, anybody have any sitten around?

Due to the brake drum set up the SX is very limited in what wheels you can choose. The bell part of wheel must be large enough to except the drum.

chris200x
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
The tires themselves are still in great condition. no plugs and very little wear. the stock rims have seen better days though. Not sure how much they'd cost to ship. probably more than their worth I rekon. The only reason they are neot being used anymore is I went to aluminum rims and mudlites. all their doing is taking up space in the garage.

Whatever rims you decide to get, be sure they are the honda 4/110 deep bell style so they clear the rear brake drum.

Bo0YaA
03-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Well shoot me a price on them and ill see what i can come up with on shipping, just need to where you are at and im sure I can come up with a cost.

Also I just found some 8x8 250sx steel wheels new for 19.00 a pc. is that a good price? and what do ya think of steel vs aluminum.

chris200x
03-05-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm at 18249. (PA) I believe they would be quite costly though. I'm open to any reasonble offer though. It maybe cheaper to go to your local parts supplier ...or I know rocky mountian atv ships free for orders over $100. (that's where I got the mudlites)

$19 a shot is a great price! mind letting me in on your source? :D The aluminum jobbers weigh less than steel thats for sure. Strenght wise it's hard to tell. I've managed to mangle steel ones just as easy as aluminum but found that the rolled auluminum lip holds up a bit better when riding in rocky terrian. and believe me when I tell you here in northeast Pa. we got some rocks. LOL

Huffa
03-05-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm at 18249. (PA) I believe they would be quite costly though. I'm open to any reasonble offer though. It maybe cheaper to go to your local parts supplier ...or I know rocky mountian atv ships free for orders over $100. (that's where I got the mudlites)

$19 a shot is a great price! mind letting me in on your source? :D The aluminum jobbers weigh less than steel thats for sure. Strenght wise it's hard to tell. I've managed to mangle steel ones just as easy as aluminum but found that the rolled auluminum lip holds up a bit better when riding in rocky terrian. and believe me when I tell you here in northeast Pa. we got some rocks. LOL

I didn't realize you got new wheels besides the mudlites Chris ! Email me or post a nice pic of them, somehow I missed you mentioning it to me, you must have though?

Bo0YaA
03-05-2007, 08:41 PM
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=237&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webCatId=8&allVehParts=true&vehicleType=&pageLinkUri=&prodFamilyId=8633 They seem to be out of stock until March 19th but thats only a couple weeks out.

Im thinking you are probably right on the shipping on those, but if they were sold cheap enough :naughty: then it could still work. Just toss out a number, I know they go for around what 55.00 or so new for the tires??

Tri-ZNate
03-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Go with some nice 6 ply 22x11x8 and you will never have to change tires again. Chris's and Mine will probably outlive the bikes.

Denniskirk.com I believe has some Front racks for the SX.

chris200x
03-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Let me take some better pics of the rims (they are pretty beatup) tomorrow morning so you know what your looking at. I really have no idea what they're worth. Anyone know a good cheap way to ship tires and rims? :wondering

those rims on that link look pretty trick. I may pick up an extra set for that price. I got a brand new set of bearclaws (those are some bad mofo's)I wont be using on my tri z that may work well on the Sx somewheres down the road. way too aggresive for a two stroke I would think.

Huffa, I thought I mentioned about the rims.. :wondering I picked these up for basically free from a board member. just had to pay shipping. A little bit of mothers polished and they shined right up.

Bo0YaA
03-06-2007, 02:17 AM
Man I would say those are aggresive lol not the best hard pan ride I would guess. Hey heres an idea, do you have the means of taking the tires off the rims? at no cost I mean? Because like you said at 19.00 a pc and the fact they are only a 1/2 hour drive from my house = no shipping I think im gonna pick me up a set or two of those. And those tires you have look like they would do the trick right nice!! let me know if that is something you could do.