PDA

View Full Version : What oil in transmission tri-z 250

random-strike
03-04-2007, 06:11 PM
What type of oil should i put in my transmission? gear oil? regular oil?

Dirtcrasher
03-04-2007, 06:38 PM
I don't have your machines manual but I'd imagine it should be gear oil for 2 stroke motorcycle trannys. Every 2 stroke I had used something like 80WT transmission oil. Not differential gear oil and definately 10W40 engine oil.

Hmmm, this brings upon a question....

I personally don't see any basic design difference from a 2stroke to a thumper tranny. From gears to shafts to bearings..

Why does a 4 stroke run the whole engine with simply a 10W40 wt oil but a 2 stroke tranny which doesn't lubricate the top end uses a 80wt transmission oil.

Seems like quite a difference in weight of oil for the same job being done...

Bryan Raffa
03-04-2007, 06:40 PM
I use belray gearsaver 80wt in everything

random-strike
03-04-2007, 06:56 PM
I don't have your machines manual but I'd imagine it should be gear oil for 2 stroke motorcycle trannys. Every 2 stroke I had used something like 80WT transmission oil. Not differential gear oil and definately 10W40 engine oil.

Hmmm, this brings upon a question....

I personally don't see any basic design difference from a 2stroke to a thumper tranny. From gears to shafts to bearings..

Why does a 4 stroke run the whole engine with simply a 10W40 wt oil but a 2 stroke tranny which doesn't lubricate the top end uses a 80/90wt gear oil.

Seems like quite a difference in weight of oil for the same job being done...

you can run regular motor oil in transmissions, ive done it in many hondas. (cars)

but i was asking what would be the best to put it, so gear oil? sweet i have a bunch that i never put into my camaro ;)

MTS
03-04-2007, 07:47 PM
I use belray gearsaver 80wt in everything
Me too,,,,works good!!

random-strike
03-04-2007, 07:59 PM
how much is supposed to be in there (as you can see i don't have a manual)

slothminx
03-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Says on the side case homie ;) 1050 cc

Theres also a fill level check screw, just fill it till the oil comes out..... ill dig up an old pic showing it for ya.

Cant remember why I called it "The culprit" haha

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8010/oilcheckscrewht2.jpg

Dirtcrasher
03-04-2007, 08:02 PM
how much is supposed to be in there (as you can see i don't have a manual)

If it comes out the spark plug, thats the overflow and it's a bit too much :D

random-strike
03-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Says on the side case homie ;) 1050 cc

Theres also a fill level check screw, just fill it till the oil comes out..... ill dig up an old pic showing it for ya.

Cant remember why I called it "The culprit" haha

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8010/oilcheckscrewht2.jpg

nice i assume thats where you're filling it also :)

have any problems with your triz overheating?? mine gets really hot when i rip on it... mine is 80 over though... does anyone make aluminum radiators for them?

slothminx
03-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Mines 70 over I think. No problems with overheating and I beat on it at low speeds, leave it idling for a while. Might want to check your water impellars condition, the cover is right next to the oil check screw there. The impellars are known for falling off, I have a billet one I need to fit to mine I bought from Yamahondaman

You fill it though the filler hole on the top of that side case, you can see the cap behind the "I" of culprit.

random-strike
03-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Mines 70 over I think. No problems with overheating and I beat on it at low speeds, leave it idling for a while. Might want to check your water impellars condition, the cover is right next to the oil check screw there. The impellars are known for falling off, I have a billet one I need to fit to mine I bought from Yamahondaman

You fill it though the filler hole on the top of that side case, you can see the cap behind the "I" of culprit.

im going to check out my water pump when i fill it up here in a couple mins

is it possible for coolant to get into my transmission from somewhere??? i had a bit of water in my trans but i assume it got in there somehow when i was running it through puddles and washing it off afterwards... (some of the boots like for the wires are cracks and broken)

slothminx
03-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Yup its possible, I had this with mine when I bought it, the water pump seal was old and had failed and was letting water past into the tranny, there a bit of a pain to change but its a once only type deal. Change it and forget about it.

Ive run mine through enough water (see avatar ;)) splashing through puddles it wont get in the tranny.

Billy Golightly
03-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Theres a big difference as TimSr mentioned in another thread between Belray (and whatever) brand 80wt motorcycle trans oil, and 80wt oil like you'd get at Napa or Autozone. I don't know how they measure it and come up with the same #s but its definitely not as thick. Anything over "actual" 40wt in a trans is gonna cause clutch slippage. I recently converted everything I own over to ATF Type F and have had good results so far. Vibration slightly more noticeable, but thats just cause its thinner.

random-strike
03-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Theres a big difference as TimSr mentioned in another thread between Belray (and whatever) brand 80wt motorcycle trans oil, and 80wt oil like you'd get at Napa or Autozone. I don't know how they measure it and come up with the same #s but its definitely not as thick. Anything over "actual" 40wt in a trans is gonna cause clutch slippage. I recently converted everything I own over to ATF Type F and have had good results so far. Vibration slightly more noticeable, but thats just cause its thinner.

*Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*, are you serious about the over 40wt thing????

i just put 80wt gear oil into my trans.....

i checked the water pump and all the impellers are perfect

Billy Golightly
03-04-2007, 10:45 PM
ugh yes, drain it out and replace with 10w-30 at the least.

random-strike
03-04-2007, 10:56 PM
ugh yes, drain it out and replace with 10w-30 at the least.

ok....

i was going to put 10-30 in it but i saw the gear oil i hadnt used and though it would work :P

random-strike
03-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Yup its possible, I had this with mine when I bought it, the water pump seal was old and had failed and was letting water past into the tranny, there a bit of a pain to change but its a once only type deal. Change it and forget about it.

Ive run mine through enough water (see avatar ;)) splashing through puddles it wont get in the tranny.

i think this is happening with mine.

can you tell me a little more about it.

what the seal costs (aprox) and whats involved replacing it. what makes it a pita?

Kintore
03-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Seal is about 15-20 bucks, and a shee seal works too btw. And its a pita cause you have to take off the whole sidecase, and carefully put it in there. I did 3 seals within one month, hence one of the reasons no more yamahas. May have been my fault, but I took it to a shop and they did it and only when I did it myself REALLY slow did it work for me and actually hold.

TimSr
03-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Ive never had a problem replacing the seal, but you have to take the side cover all the way off to get the impeller off. When installing the seal, grease it first, grease the seating surface, and squeeze the seal in place using a vice and socket that fits the seal with the ratchet side of the socket against the seal. The Banshee seal and TriZ seal are one in the same, and the same Yamaha part number.

For the clutch oil, Ive run mostly Dollar General, Family Dollar, Valvoline, NAPA 10w40 general purpose motor oil. I get several years out of a clutch. I now run Blue Marble 10w40 4 cycle oil in it, but you have to when you are a dealer. Does it do anything over the cheap stuff as a clutch lube? Would anyone ever notice? I doubt it. If you are worried about all the scares about friction modifiers, sythetics, and all that other stuff that I think is nonsense, then go with any 4 cycle motorcycle oil which is made for this exact application with additional considerations, or go with a high dollar 2 stroke Cycle/ATV gear lube.

random-strike
03-08-2007, 09:29 PM
seal is $22.10 looks like i'll have to pick one up and install it before this weekend.

hope i dn't have to do it eveyr often

Kintore
03-09-2007, 01:01 PM
You shoudlnt if you do it right, I think I just had really bad luck. As far as im concerned, Tim is 100 percent correct.

Dammit!
03-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Get one of Yamahondaman's billet waterpump impellers and throw that in there when you're doing the seal. I'd get one of his 3-way coolers to replace the thermo housing while you're at it. You don't need a thermostat and odds are it isn't working anymore anyway.

I haven't done the waterpump seal in the Z yet but on the Hondas there's more than one part. Memory isn't serving me real well right now but I think there's two seals and a bearing that I always replace at the same time. I would think the Z has a similar setup? On my R I've only had to do it twice in nearly 18 years and the second time was just preventitive since I was taking it apart anyway. :lol:

Have you downloaded a service manual yet?

slothminx
03-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Single seal on a Z ;) no bearings

random-strike
03-09-2007, 01:46 PM
i replaced it last night, everything went well.

the impellers looked fine as did everything else in there... so i left it alone.

the old seal looked ok to me but obviously i cant really tell, im sure its leaking cause there is no where else for that water to get in there.

put the new one in and going to test her out tonight.

cost me $22.10

oh and the thero is working amazingly enough