PDA

View Full Version : '85 Tecate radiator relocation opinions

DixiePlowboy
03-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Just something I'm considering at the moment. I'd like to lighten up the steering a little as well as add a "trickness" factor. I've found old threads here with a couple different setups but I'd like to revisit the issue.

I've seen the kit that looks to use one radiator about the size of an R's mounted sideways. That doesn't look ideal to me, but was there ever any verdict on how well it worked?
It seems to me that if it had been mounted facing forward as it would normally on an R, that it would have worked better. Would a radiator that size, mounted facing forward, with a custom scoop, effectively cool my motor? If it worked sideways/scooped, then I'd say it would definitely work facing forward/scooped.

The other used a radiator that was too wide at first glance. It seemed as though it were definitely big enough and mounted as though it would work, but looked to be too at risk for damage or outright destruction.

If I can find a suitable and affordable radiator somewhere between the size of these two, I may give it a try.

Any ideas?

hadar
03-04-2007, 12:29 PM
I would like to see some pics of these relocations. Not that I would want to do it but it sounds interesting. Everyone should mount their radiators up on the trees where it belongs. :D :lol:

DixiePlowboy
03-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Here's the two other members' past projects. Right now I'm eyeballing a KX 85 radiator, but I'm going to have to get some measurements before I'll buy one.

hadar
03-04-2007, 12:58 PM
The one on the right looks nice. I wonder how well it cools.(seems small) I thought I saw that one on ebay a while back. It has an 86 front end if I remember right.

3leggeddog
03-04-2007, 01:10 PM
thats trick.i think they look fine on the tripple with a number plate covering them up,but thats a really cool alternative!

i want to pick up one of these 1st gen tecates for a trail bike.they are pretty cool bikes

DixiePlowboy
03-04-2007, 01:26 PM
The reason I'm thinking of doing this has a lot to do with lightening up the steering feel. I agree that as far as looks alone go, a UFO repro plate would be fine.

BigGreenMachine
03-04-2007, 02:02 PM
That 86 front ended bike is Sean, an older member. He sold that for cheap. As far as I know the small rad cools just fine. A KX85 single rad or even half a 86 tecate rad setup would be find IMO. Just use some engine ice if you need to get the temp down.

nd4speed
03-04-2007, 09:28 PM
I sold 83-84 KX250 tank, shrouds, and radiators which looked like a very good alternative in my opinion. The fame had plenty of area to tap into and fork/tree clearance looked good. That's how the Frank's framed Tecates were setup.

look here:
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=24734&highlight=franks+tecate

cr480r
03-05-2007, 04:09 AM
KX tank, radiators, and shrouds would be my choice. I like the stock radiator setup, but I hate the stock fuel tanks...