PDA

View Full Version : Carb settings

Feightster
03-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Hey guys,

I need help-- Im just put together a rebuilt 200x carb and would like some advised on settings. Good starting points on trottle screw and air screw would help. I also have another problem. After the my engine has been sitting a bit there is a tap or tick on the top end. According to the guy I got it from it had a recent ring job and didnt do it before it sat. Of course when you run the rpms up the tap moves with the speed of the rev. Any advise would help.

thanks
E

Liquid-Darkness
03-03-2007, 07:24 PM
The tapping is probably the valves in need of adjusting.

Feightster
03-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Is valve adj easy to do? or for pro

tyman
03-04-2007, 12:19 PM
what year X do you have??? the 86-87 is very simple... never adjusted the earlier X's...

Liquid-Darkness
03-04-2007, 01:31 PM
The 200x valve adjustments is as follows from the manual;
While the engine is cold, remove fuel tank. Remove the crank shaft hole cap and timing mark hole cap. Remove the valve adjuster covers. Those are the round covers on the top of the engine. Use a big wrench or cresent wrench. There is a cap for the exhaust and intake. Rotate the crank shaft to align the
I I mark with the little notch in the case cover. The piston must be at TDC of the compression stroke, rockers will be a little loose. Inspect the intake and exhaust valve clearences by inserting a feeler gauge under adjusting screw and on top of the valve stem. Both intake and exhaust should be .003 clearence. To adjust, loosen the locking nut and with the feeler gauge in place; tighten or loosen the adjuster bolt until there is a slight drag on the feeler gauge. Then hold the adjuster bolt in place and tighten the locking nut.
Re check valve clearence, then replace the valve adjuster covers<the round covers> instal the timing hole covers in the case side. Install the fuel tank and reconnect the fuel tube. I would jet the bike and adjust the cam chain. Can't go wrong with a clean air filter and new spark plug. The spark plug for that bike is an NGK DR8ES-L. Good luck!

Jetting tips are located here:
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=55086

Mixture screw should be 2 out from closed.

Feightster
03-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks so much for the advise on the valves

Eric

Feightster
03-09-2007, 11:41 AM
I have one other question-- I did a compression test on the tapping engine and it stopped at 60psi after several kick. That sounds really low but the engine runs great(except for the tap) Is the low compress from the tap?? Or should I crack the head and look at the cylinder-- Guy I bought it from said he just had it done?

Thanks
Eric