PDA

View Full Version : 85/86 250r tranny troubles

Brockey
03-03-2007, 01:27 PM
I have lined up one of the water pumpers finally but they tell me 2nd gear is gone. How hard is the parts to locate and how much? Also how hard is it too fix?

Dirtcrasher
03-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Jeez, there a dime a dozen. I'll bet you can grab a whole lower end for short money....

If you buy a manual, the 250R is one of the simplest motors to split. Just be sure to post here and check the counterbalancer and the other "R" weaknesses, there aren't many!

Brockey
03-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Thxs for the quick reply. I am excited and am trying to get the owner to hold it for me for tomarrow.

Bryan Raffa
03-03-2007, 05:48 PM
250r motor's are noted for loseing 2nd gear.. replace with new!! dont want to have to split the cases again if the used part fails

hrc85250r
03-03-2007, 05:54 PM
iv never heard of an R dropping second, but if you beat on them hard enough without using the clutch you can chew any dogs down

Brockey
03-03-2007, 06:43 PM
New it will be. Only want to rip the bottom end apart once. Replace the clutches while I am in there if I get it tomarrow.

Bryan Raffa
03-03-2007, 07:27 PM
http://www.patriotracing.net/250R%20Transmission.htm

The 250R motor, while exceptionally strong and known to be very reliable, does have a weak point when the power output levels are increased. The transmission is that weak point. The transmission gears are made of a cast iron alloy that works well with stock power output levels. Once the power output level is increased the longevity and integrity of the transmission comes into question. Known trouble spots such as the 2nd gear countershaft gear have been addressed in years past simply by replacing the gear and nothing else.

Brockey
03-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Well now that you have shown me that link. Where can I get the gears new

hrc85250r
03-03-2007, 07:42 PM
lol, when you make any motor designed for 30 hp put out 60 of course the tranny is going to need regular maintenance, and im sure this 250r that brockey is getting isnt a full blown race bike. you can get the gears from any honda dealer, or www.servicehonda.com or www.bikebandit.com or www.ronniesmailorder.com or www.rivaracing.com there are others, but i think you will get what you need form any of these. i would tear it apart and see what it actually needs.

i also want to add that i have never had any tranny issues related to power output and i have been POUNDING on my rider for 5 years now and 2nd gear is the gear to go in any brand, model or year bike, its the most shifted into and the most ridden in gear. think about it.

Brockey
03-03-2007, 07:48 PM
sweet man. thxs.

Brockey
03-07-2007, 12:44 AM
$@!$( %#(^%@ (($ !( I am so pissed. The lady stopped answering the phone because her friend who had it in his garage sold it without talking to her. She gave me her word that as soon as he got home she would call me. #!%& ... Now seeing that there is about 4 of these machines I know of here on this island and it went for $1000 .ono, where am I gonna find a cheap water pumper fixer upper now. I am pissed, did I mention that.