PDA

View Full Version : porting a reed cage

SYKO
03-02-2007, 02:36 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/reedcage.jpg

ok like i said people have done it, I want to try it, and you never know, I may like it, lets do it so can it be done?

:D

tecat-z
03-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Thats a stuffed reed block, and iv'e heard by doing some cutting on them sometimes hurts preformance. It's there to speed up intake charge into engine. Kind of a funnel effect. I suppose it would depend greatly on your particular engines state of tune. Carb, compression, timing, porting, and things of that nature. I have no personal experience in doing this, just what a friend did years ago to an otherwise stock liquid R. Let us know the results.

Billy Golightly
03-02-2007, 03:09 PM
I didn't get to take after pics of mine, but heres a thread I made about it:

http://3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=60587&highlight=reed

Bryan Raffa
03-02-2007, 04:10 PM
you want a improvement,,,Put a CR reed cage in it..

SYKO
03-02-2007, 04:55 PM
blah blah blah, I dont have a cr reed cage I have this one!! hence the picture of said reed cage above!

Billy Golightly
03-02-2007, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't mess with the plastic stuffer in your picture except to match it up to the intake boot better.

Bryan Raffa
03-02-2007, 05:22 PM
pull that out!!! and run it!! you got a bigger carb on it right! thats nothing more than a choke point.. let it breathe the cage itself acts like a funnel..

Yamahondaman
03-02-2007, 05:26 PM
you want a improvement,,,Put a CR reed cage in it..
He is right !! i have the "CR" Part No. :naughty: But..............
if you want MORE Performance with what you got..YES ...Take that thing out and THROW AWAY..
ATV Motor's like Volume unlike the new power valved motors that like the smaller intake charge...
back in the day FMF Made them things for the ATV's .. KILLED the TOP Charge

Bryan Raffa
03-02-2007, 05:29 PM
bahhahahah told ya so!! throw it out!!!:naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Yamahondaman
03-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Raffa ...YOUR KILL'N ME !!! :beer AnyWay's ....on my "RAG" i found out that the MORE Volume you have...the better but................i did notice that reed spacer's "steal" from the TOP charge .. i don't like that..:naughty:

SYKO
03-02-2007, 05:39 PM
reed spacer steal top end charge?? huh I took mine out one time and ran it and it sucked! so I put it back in, soo I need to ditch this white plastic *WORD FILTER* thats in this cage huh?? well I got 2 of them now so no biggie, so how do they com out?? it it jsut glued in?? and if your ideas suck guys!! im personaly murdering your punk ass's!

Bryan Raffa
03-02-2007, 05:42 PM
it will pull right out .. punk ass's bahhahhaha........what size carb you got on that? 38mm

Yamahondaman
03-02-2007, 05:52 PM
the screws hold it in ... i had like 14 of them things piled up .. finally i thow'd em away

SYKO
03-02-2007, 05:56 PM
ok you punk girl dogs!! I forgot that it was held in with the screws!:p

here it is now!

boysen reeds

38 mikuni carb

straight filter

we'll see sunday how it runs

oh you just get the lazy pic to look at right now:pics:

Bryan Raffa
03-02-2007, 05:59 PM
OH ya your gonna likey that with the 38mm YEEEEHAWWW!!!!

Billy Golightly
03-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Guys I'm not trying to start anything, but heres in my opinion why the stuffer should stay in there. The higher the volumetric pressure behind the reed petals, the sooner/faster they are going to open. When the pressure is low, they are having to fight to open against the actual engine pressure. The reed petals might open a couple degrees later with lower pressure then they would with a higher one. It doesn't matter how much air is behind the reeds, if they are slow to open or are not opening as far as they could, the extra volume isn't going to matter because it can't go anywhere. Thats my .02 cents

SYKO
03-02-2007, 07:44 PM
well I just got back from a long ride on my flat tracker, it deffintly helped, the throttle response is stupid!! still have my low end stumble (do to the fact that im to rich on the bottom) but other than that Im pleased with the results, but not pleased that my rear brake is still acting up, and I took it apart and cleaned it but found another problem, but...thats a wholenother thread.

Yamahondaman
03-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Hey Billy ... if you have a 39mm Carb in Place of the "old,STOCK,32mm Round Rag" Carb ... the reeds are gonna open when needed from the compesion intake charge...... BIG Volume,BIG Carb,BIG Jetting,BIG Porting,High Compresion,Good Pipe.............. it's gonna go....... with a little bit of Clutching........... Maybe ?

Bryan Raffa
03-02-2007, 10:30 PM
So you liked it huh syko.. How was it compared to the way it was before. You should have noticed the diffrence right away..

SYKO
03-03-2007, 12:10 PM
its alot snappier than before, very crisp throttle response, now I jsut need to rejet for the low! end and it will be great!

DixiePlowboy
03-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Billy correctly has one facet of the equation in mind.

True, an engine is an air pump that ideally moves as much air through it as possible....but everything just hogged out can be detrimental to power production if air velocity is bottlenecked up somewhere. The greatest volumetric efficiency is the goal.
In this case there was obviously a restriction between the bigger carb and the reeds. Gotta love those free power improvements!