PDA

View Full Version : 250R air cooled

2strokeBandit
03-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Hey guys. I have been checkin out the forum latly and it looks great. I just finally got acctivated so i can start posting.

I have a 1984 Honda 250R air cooled. It runs very well. I purchased it for $500 dollars with a a small crack on the seat and the back break did not work but he gave me a master cylinder rebuild kit with it. I have research and all i could come up with is that, that is a good deal. What do you guys think?

Question 2 is What is a good recomended Ratio. I am leaning toward 40:1, The man i purchased it from did not really have a straight answer because his brother traded it to him because it would sell faster than a boat. So whats your Suggestion

Question 3 What gear case oil to use. What brand and weith do 250's like.

Question 4- I am in need of a petcock for the gas tank. I called a few local dealers and none of them have it. It is even discontinued at bikebandit.com. Does any one have one or know where i could get one from. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You much, Tom

Yamada
03-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Answer 1. For me, sound like a great deal. Did the motor have been rebuilt lately?
answer 2:???
answer 3 Do a search on the forum. A guy guy asked the same question and got some answer.
answer 4: ???

team-red-rider
03-01-2007, 08:32 PM
try dratv.com for a petcock...

2strokeBandit
03-01-2007, 08:33 PM
The motor has not been rebuilt but it runs great with lots of power. I am a mechanic as well so if I decide to i might rebuild it.

I saw his post and it kindof was more to how it ran. Mine runs great i was just looking to see if 40:1 would be efficent enough. The impression i get is yes if its sythetic and no if its cheapo station 2 stroke oil

Thanks for the quick reply though

El'Capitan
03-01-2007, 08:34 PM
a 40:1 mixture is what i run in my quadracer and blaster....it seems fine.

in the case i run 20w50 fully synthetic oil.

Yamada
03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Here a post about gear oil
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=64973&highlight=gear+oil

2strokeBandit
03-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Alright Yeah i am just looking for prefrences as to what works great with the clutch and still lubes good.

dovesprings250R
03-01-2007, 08:40 PM
I run all my 2 strokes at 32:1 with yamalube and 91 octane. sounds like a great deal on a good running air cooler. Bel ray gear saver is a good oil for the tranny. I use dumonde tech tranny oil in mine.

2strokeBandit
03-02-2007, 12:19 AM
Alrighty. Thanks everyone for your reply's. They are much appreciated.

Tom

web3wheels
03-02-2007, 02:09 PM
question 2 about oil. i wouldnt run less than 40:1.
i have an 85 triz and my buddy has an 82 250R.
he runs 32:1 i run 36:1. i was told the more oil the better, til you start burning plugs up too fast. i got a lot of oil coming out the front of the pipe so thats why i went down to 36:1. the factory manuals say 20:1 on older bikes cause the oil wasn't as good but that doesn't hold true any more. i guess you know this being a mechanic. my dad is a mechanic. he says if it ain't broke dont fix it, but i just rebuilt the head on my z after the piston shot craps, and i wish i had done it earlier. I had to clean the shards out of the crank. the compression is 10x better, easier to start, more response thru the throttle, and I just thought it was slower before. i would suggest finding someone with a strong 250R and compare them. i think you should run more oil mix after rebuild also. either way you got a great deal, cant go wrong with red.

viper
03-02-2007, 03:36 PM
there isnt anything wrong with running 40-1 ....use a good quality oil and you will be fine ....i prefere maxima castor or klotz benol ......this is all i have used 4 the last few years and have had very good luck with them ...dont seem to get nasty when thay sit for periods of time either like some other oils do ....the belray gear oil is very good but it is expensive ...you would be fine just running motor oil in it .........my .02

2strokeBandit
03-03-2007, 02:11 AM
Alright. Thanks for your input. DOES any one know where i can find a stock petcock for an 84 250r metal gas tank. Every where i have checked they are disscontinued. No luck yet. ANy help is appreciated

Thanks Tom

BigReds Forever
03-03-2007, 02:19 AM
tried ebay?

Also, where are you in mn?

Trikeaholic
03-03-2007, 08:49 AM
petcock, well, I was having a problem with my 350X petcock leaking. It is riveted together at the factory, but I drilled out the rivets CAREFULLY! and replaced the o-ring with one from an o-ring kit. I then used some thread rolling screws to put it back together and now no leaks. I have no problems with the one on my 83 R, so I cannot be sure if it is the same type or not. The point is that it should be fixable, if leaking is your problem.

TimSr
03-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Ask 300 people, and get 300 differnet answers. Hopefully everyone agrees that safe and proper gas/oil ratio depends on the oil being used.

General rule of thumb:
General purpose 2 cycle oil 20-25:1
Quality specialty 2 cycle oil (Yamalube, etc.) 32:1
High performance/racing oils 50:1

2strokeBandit
03-03-2007, 10:38 AM
petcock, well, I was having a problem with my 350X petcock leaking. It is riveted together at the factory, but I drilled out the rivets CAREFULLY! and replaced the o-ring with one from an o-ring kit. I then used some thread rolling screws to put it back together and now no leaks. I have no problems with the one on my 83 R, so I cannot be sure if it is the same type or not. The point is that it should be fixable, if leaking is your problem.

Mine is riveted together also and that sounds like a great idea. Because leaking is my problem. I will give it a shot. Thanks
:p

BigRed Forever, I am in richfield MN- HOw about yourself. Where are you located

Huffa
03-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Alright. Thanks for your input. DOES any one know where i can find a stock petcock for an 84 250r metal gas tank. Every where i have checked they are disscontinued. No luck yet. ANy help is appreciated

Thanks Tom

They (Manchester Sport Center) list here that they still have them and I'm sure this will be the cheapest you find a OEM one too. I buy all my OEM Honda parts from them.

84 R ...........01 PETCOCK ASSY. 16950-964-005 001 $37.03

The above includes petcock filter also, if you just get the petcock assembly it is 28 bucks or so, check it out ...........

http://www.ridemsc.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

2strokeBandit
03-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Aha thank you Huffa, Thats what i am looking for.
That helps alot. Thanks, Tom

SYKO
03-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Ask 300 people, and get 300 differnet answers. Hopefully everyone agrees that safe and proper gas/oil ratio depends on the oil being used.

General rule of thumb:
General purpose 2 cycle oil 20-25:1
Quality specialty 2 cycle oil (Yamalube, etc.) 32:1
High performance/racing oils 50:1

I second that, Im fixing to go to 50:1 castor 927 in my 83 300R and my gf's blaster.