PDA

View Full Version : will JB WELD handle the heat???

jagerlager
03-01-2007, 05:48 PM
I was planning to repair some of my internal and external exhaust components with JBweld , do you think JBWeld will handle the heat and pressure/vibration ??

the parts that are rusted out are in the end (internal) and some holes rusted through on the muffler body.

ytm 200k

thanks!

hadar
03-01-2007, 07:04 PM
I don't know man. I would either braze it or mig it. Jb weld is worthless IMO, I does not make a quality repair for anything. Again, just my opinion but you won't see any "B J Weld" on any of my equipment.

SWIGIN
03-01-2007, 07:12 PM
i tried jb weld years ago on truck headers and it fell off after a few days

hancadam
03-01-2007, 08:15 PM
I tried to use JB weld on a go-karts exhaust and it did not hold for more than a hour. I also personally think JB weld is over rated.

Bryan Raffa
03-01-2007, 08:20 PM
braze it if not too big of a hole

aquapunk
03-01-2007, 09:01 PM
if you clean the area, and scuff it up, its alright. i wouldnt use it for anything bigger than a hairline crack personally. theres some stuff call "quicksteel" it handles 500 degrees where jb weld only takes 250. you can get it at wal-mart or autozone for under 5 bucks. if at all possible, get your stuff fixed right the first time. booger welding will only hold for so long.

Tri-ZNate
03-01-2007, 09:48 PM
works good for crankcases but not exhausts

traxxasx
03-01-2007, 11:02 PM
works good for crankcases but not exhausts

Lmao yea right.. We had this disscussion in another thread.

Tri-ZNate
03-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Lmao yea right.. We had this disscussion in another thread.

Held on to my crankcase for the last year with no problems.

traxxasx
03-01-2007, 11:25 PM

Well depends on where it is, now what i was reaferign to is fixing a crack in a crank case that leaks oil.

Tri-ZNate
03-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Well depends on where it is, now what i was reaferign to is fixing a crack in a crank case that leaks oil.

Yep thats what its doin on my engine. If you prep the area correctly it will hold just fine

traxxasx
03-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Yep thats what its doin on my engine. If you prep the area correctly it will hold just fine

Well thats good, but im teh type of guy that doesent like ghetto fab fixes and that is one, it will haunt you one day...lol.

Tri-ZNate
03-01-2007, 11:55 PM
lol yeah have the other crankcase to swap it out just donnt have the want to change it out. Maybe once it gets warmer

Jason Hall
03-02-2007, 08:56 AM
The thing I hate most about people using JB weld Is when they try to use It without cleaning the area. Then when It does'nt hold, they want It welded & you have a hard time welding the area because you have to get every spec of the JB weld off or It contaminates the weld.

Erics350x
03-02-2007, 09:07 AM
been holding my jetski crankcase for two years. but hasnt held on anything with high heat or gas tanks for me. i'll prolly never use it again unless its a crankcase.

Frankencelery
03-02-2007, 10:26 AM
I think this topic has been covered, but I still couldn't resist adding my two cents. I've used JB Weld on lots of stuff, and it's probably the best epoxy out there, but it's still just epoxy. Last summer I got desperate and used JB Weld to repair my 250SX muffler. I carefully sanded the area clean and I embedded the JB Weld in some steel screen to give it strength. I took my time and put on 3 coats. It was a beautiful repair. I patted myself on the back for my ingenuity and saving a hundred bucks on a new muffler!

It fell off after about an hour of riding. :lol:

WIkid500
03-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Yeah I wouldn't use it for much more then to get you out of a bind. I had to fix up my thumb throttle with it so I could go riding this winter. As soon as I got my new one the old "ghetto fix" on the thumb throttle went in the box, and in the spare parts bin. I can't see this stuff working on exhaust parts.

honda 4h
03-02-2007, 01:23 PM
i used high heat sillicon. the stuff worked good to fix all the holes on my pipe on the bigred. there is stuff that i used before. called fire stop sillicon used in buldings around plumbing pipes to plug small holes between floors to stop the spread if fire.this is the super high heat stuff.

Nick_R_23
03-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Ive used JB weld on several crankcases, its held on fine for several years on all of them without any problems. I also used it to repair my atc200 tank, it leaked from almost every weld seam, now the only thing on the machine that wont hold anything is the front tire, think jb will work on that?? :lol:

-Nick :TrikesOwn

jagerlager
03-02-2007, 10:55 PM
thanks guys!

I think I'll probably just build up with a welder and manufacture some new pieces for the pipe outlet.

just thought jb weld might have been easier.

Erics350x
03-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Ive used JB weld on several crankcases, its held on fine for several years on all of them without any problems. I also used it to repair my atc200 tank, it leaked from almost every weld seam, now the only thing on the machine that wont hold anything is the front tire, think jb will work on that?? :lol:

-Nick :TrikesOwn
That tank will leak again, alot of us have tried it.