PDA

View Full Version : Ytm200 To 225dx Engine Conversion

uhlhazard
03-01-2007, 04:09 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen.

:w00t:

I have found out how to upgrade that PUNY 200cc motor to a bigger 225 motor. Possibly even the YFM350 motor. More on that later.

Anyhow after a grueling night of final drive screwing around I have come to a solution.

Q: Can I put a 225dx motor on my ytm200 that has reverse
A: NO, the final drive has tons of extra crap that inhibits this conversion without some major modifications

Q: Can I use a 1997 Timberwolf 250cc motor?
A: No unless you are installing it on a 225dx then YES lol.

(this was my donor motor and has been very forgiving and is going to the 225dx and I am taking its old motor and dropping that bad boy in my ytm200.)

I will be working on the project tomorrow, Mr. Shiner has slowed the process considerably tonight. I will take tons of pics because I imagine lots of people would be interested in this. If not then I am just simply overjoyed all by my lonesome.

I originally just wanted to give my little brother a bigger badder motor for his 225dx but try and keep everything stock and so far so good. He will have a 225dx that has a 250cc motor with reverse. I also wanted to try to drop in a low range tranny but so far the only ones I have handled have center exiting driveshafts.

Tomorrow I am trying to get hold of a 350cc engine out of a donor moto4 depending on if it appears to fit.

WISH ME LUCK!

Xowner

pickleweasel_00
03-01-2007, 10:06 PM
good luck, love to see how this turns out:beer maybe give me some new ideas...

traxxasx
03-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Well you see it probably isent worth the work cause the dx is like what 223cc's and that motor is like what 247cc's so it isent much of a difference, but hey you never know till ta try it,.

uhlhazard
03-02-2007, 12:44 AM
223cc's and that motor is like what 247cc's

Even so, thats more cc's AND reverse. Ooh not to mention automatic chain tensioner, and its a 1997. As for the ytm200 to 223 that is 23 cc's and I'd be willing to bet my ytm223 would outdo any slightly modded ytm200 yet still keeping everything bone stock.

How could a slightly bigger engine be a bad thing. Hell in the car world 1hp upgrades are fought for!

Ooh and I couldn't do the upgrade today because I got me a 1981 swb chevy half ton with a 350 and some mods in trade for my 88 moto4. :beer

I will try and get on it tomorrow though, I'll need some sunlight.

Rocksoup
03-02-2007, 12:53 AM
You should just go for the kill and swap the 350 chevy into the ytm200. That's 5700cc's. I'd say that would be worth the effort.

uhlhazard
03-02-2007, 12:58 AM
I already tried that and the headers melted my shoes and burned my socks!

ProCarbine2k1
03-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Most of the 350 smallblocks ive seen in the Trimoto 225s had shorty headers and an h pipe to reroute that nasty location of the stock manifolds on the 350... yyyyyyeah, lol i think those socks would be the least of your worries with that conversion!!

uhlhazard
03-02-2007, 01:19 AM
I was at my local and good motorcycle shop and a guy there installed a busa motor into what I believe was a warrior frame or possibly a trx300ex. He said they took it out and he hit 100.

I will get some pics with my cell and post them here. Car show quality.

uhlhazard
03-06-2007, 02:17 PM
I finished my ytm200 to 225dx engine conversion. EXTREEMLY EASY TO DO!

Simply remove the ytm200 engine/tranny and rear end. On the 225dx assuming the motor is still in the bike, remove the swingarm, then remove the engine.

Remove the ujoint so that you can access the driveshaft nut that holds the ujoint to the output shaft on the transmission. Then remove the 4 bolts that hold the circular metal piece in, this will simply slide off.

Move the 225dx motor into place on the ytm200 then bolt everything back up!

How simple is that.

I wanted to do this because you can pickup a decently running 225dx motor from the junkyard for just about nothing and have drop in performance upgrade of 12 percent!

I am getting 2nd gear wheelies on demand with mine and the intake valve seal is sucking in ungodly amounts of oil. Also parts for the 225 motors are much easier to find and even the newest of newest yamaha bikes still run on a derivitative of this motor sharing nearly 99 percent of parts equally.

This engine swap will work without any other modifications to your bike, the wiring plugs in just like normal. I will mention however that you will have to use your intake boot from carb to head on the new engine because the 225dx boot is a little crooked and short so it won't reach. I sure would love to hear anyone else doing this soon.