PDA

View Full Version : Starting my SX rebuild soon..What's the best setup?

jasonb01
03-01-2007, 12:43 AM
I have a 85 250sx that is in desperate need of some tlc. I am collecting this and that off of eBay and am wondering what would be the best setup for this bike. I primarily ride around the yard or in the woods and mud in S. Louisiana. This will be the first time I have taken a bike completely apart. What's up with the 200x front end? I definitely like the disc brake upgrade. Should I buy an entire front end or can I use the triple trees off of my SX?
Exhaust, mine is Shot. Is the Cobra not worth the money? Should I just find a clean stocker on eBay?
Engine and carb? What would you do with that? It runs real good right now, but more power never hurt anyone.

I am only taking this bike apart once. So I want to do it right. If it takes me a year and cost me a grand, that's cool. As long I have a nice bike when I'm done.
Thanks and I am sure I'll be asking many questions once I start this.

danteross77
03-01-2007, 12:56 AM
You will have to buy the entire front end for the swap, honestly the front disc brake has not really made any noticable change. I have the 250r front end on mine and it pulls the front end up alot. It looks cool, but I was seriously thinking of putting my original front end back on. I use mine for alot of utility work(Reverse!!). And honestly the bike is so torquey that the lighter front end comes up quite a bit. When I shift from 1 to 2, 2 to 3rd, 3 to 4 the front tire comes up unless I baby it. Also on the hard packed surface it seems to "Wear you down" trying to control it if you are really hitting it hard.

jasonb01
03-01-2007, 01:02 AM
You will have to buy the entire front end for the swap, honestly the front disc brake has not really made any noticable change. I have the 250r front end on mine and it pulls the front end up alot. It looks cool, but I was seriously thinking of putting my original front end back on. I use mine for alot of utility work(Reverse!!). And honestly the bike is so torquey that the lighter front end comes up quite a bit. When I shift from 1 to 2, 2 to 3rd, 3 to 4 the front tire comes up unless I baby it. Also on the hard packed surface it seems to "Wear you down" trying to control it if you are really hitting it hard.

That is exactly what I am looking for! Thanks. I am in no way looking to for the "cool" factor. I just want a nice, clean bike that I can have fun with. So if I don't mess with the front end, what would be the best upgrades for while I have it all apart?

danteross77
03-01-2007, 03:42 AM
Honestly the sx is in my opinon the best utility or goofing off trike around. You get plenty of power, Reverse, nice suspension, electric start. Were I live is pretty flat and swamp like marshes. This trike is perfect for that, Honestly I have more fun in the mud and this thing amazes me at what is can go through, I used mine yesterday hauling 2 yard of top soil to the back yard using my garden trailer. I weaved in and out of places a quad would have never went, and backed it right up were I wanted the dirt. I am not some speed demon(Too Old), but I run mine completely stock, same motor that was in it in 1986 never opened, the only thing besides front end I changed was the battery and some brake pads ad it suits me well. I would try a stock rebuild and then go from there if you get the urge, I am sure a bigger carb and after market exhaust and aftermarket filter would make it cooler maybe faster, but it is what it is a sporty utility trike that is fun as hell.

Tri-ZNate
03-01-2007, 08:09 AM
the most important question is, do you have any close neighbors. The cobra is a loud exhaust so you dont wanna be pissin people off.

The 200x front end is nice but all it really did for me was lighten the front end up. And made it look better.

if you want some more torque put a 350x carb on with a K&N filter. If you arent going to put an aftermarket exhaust on, plan on ordering two new jets for the carb (The stock SX ones). You can run it with the stock 350x jets but it will load up easier especially if you have the stock exhaust.

Other than a powroll kit there isnt much more you can do except a cam. Powroll kits are almost impossible to find for the SX so if you see one grab it. Basically its a higher comp piston and some other goodies to pep it up.

Here is my SX once I got done doin all my happy stuff to it. Made alot of mistakes with this baby so I have to go through it before TF so it is ready for the MX class. I wanna be doin doubles on it :D

Dirtcrasher
03-01-2007, 09:16 PM
First off, the poor mans 250SX hot mod is to simply slide a set of 200X forks in the stock SX triple clamps, this gives you a better front end suspension and a front disc brake. Front brakes make people realize that they stop alot quicker and smoother with the front brake and they learn to rarely use the back - I barely touch mine and it keeps my feet on the pegs too. As for a "chopper feel", I don't even believe the 200X tubes adds much at all to the SX front end in height which is certainly not too high and the tubes can be slid up in the triples a bit.

I would not advise the 250R front end swap as it is TOO high. I have never actually measured up the 350X swap but I'll bet it isn't too bad and maybe a bit better than the 200X swap - BUT the 350X tubes don't fit in the stock SX triples and require more fabrication for the stops.

The simplest cheapest mods are any aftermarket exhaust, no airbox lid and a 350X carb. That is the CHEAPEST way out.... Yes, you can buy other pistons, cams and valve springs and that is another big expensive step for the SX but it will still be an SX (much quicker!!) with a useless rear shock. And, even if you could find a way to mount a "SUPER SHOCK", you'll still be stuck with a swingarm that has 16 bolts linking it together and that will always be a weak link.

I've had my old SX for 10 years and I have beat it and beat it some more. They are an awesome "cadillac" or "lazy mans trike" but if you want your mods to match the ATC, pick up a cheap 200X, 350X or 250R.

Only problem with a 2 stroke is that they actually run there fastest and best at the time there ready to blow up - which can easily be a 600$ plus repair cost.

At least with a four stroke you'll hear the valves and or cam chain smacking around and see the smoke coming out of the exhaust.

jasonb01
03-01-2007, 09:34 PM
I am leaning against changing the front forks. I have been doing some searching and see that I can get Progressive springs which would help out a bit. I will never jump anything. I just thought the brake and steering would be better. I think I may invest my money into the engine. I have an uncle that is a small engine mechanic, that would help me through anything I run into. Taking the airbox lid is out, since my main thing is deep mud riding. Which the SX is great for with the Super Swampers on the back.

What's up with the ticking noise that it has? Is this normal for these bikes? I know it is the timing chain, cause my uncle adjusted the valves for me. He told me to roll with it, cause the ticking ain't gonna hurt anything. Just annoys me. And I am definitely going to get a 350X carb as I have read that it helps with the hard starting of these bikes. Mine has a brand new carb kit in it and is still a pain sometimes to start.

I have been searching for a clean set of plastic for it, but these seem rarer than 350x fenders. I guess they get put through so much abuse that not many are left out there. The Maiers don't look all that bad though. Just no trunk.

I also wish I could find a metal tank that is clean, mine has a Clark plastic. And it is faded.

Dirtcrasher
03-01-2007, 09:46 PM
I am leaning against changing the front forks. I have been doing some searching and see that I can get Progressive springs which would help out a bit. I will never jump anything. I just thought the brake and steering would be better. I think I may invest my money into the engine. I have an uncle that is a small engine mechanic, that would help me through anything I run into. Taking the airbox lid is out, since my main thing is deep mud riding. Which the SX is great for with the Super Swampers on the back.

What's up with the ticking noise that it has? Is this normal for these bikes? I know it is the timing chain, cause my uncle adjusted the valves for me. He told me to roll with it, cause the ticking ain't gonna hurt anything. Just annoys me. And I am definitely going to get a 350X carb as I have read that it helps with the hard starting of these bikes. Mine has a brand new carb kit in it and is still a pain sometimes to start.

I have been searching for a clean set of plastic for it, but these seem rarer than 350x fenders. I guess they get put through so much abuse that not many are left out there. The Maiers don't look all that bad though. Just no trunk.

I also wish I could find a metal tank that is clean, mine has a Clark plastic. And it is faded.

You won't find OEM plastics or tanks for a good price.

200X forks may cost 30$ on EBAY, add a spacer and you will have something that works as well as progressive springs - on a heavy trike like the SX. The SX front drum does not like mud, disc brakes deal with mud a whole lot better. A front disc brake setup may be a bit more expensive, plan on 60$ for a good complete working setup. It will shave quite a bit of weight off of the SX front end which will also allow for better mud riding which is your riding choice.

There is no use buying a 350X carb unless you yank the AB lid and add an AM exhaust. If you don't want to remove the lid, get a spare lid and put in the UNI air vents and keep the OEM for the days you plan on going swimming.

The SX starting problem is all within the starter jet. A drill bit a few thousandths bigger can fix that for no cost..... Or find a 86/87 SX stock carb to fix it.

Tri-ZNate
03-01-2007, 09:58 PM
A 200x front end will make it turn MUCH better. Mine has a very tight turning radius.

I go mud boggin with mine as well with no air box lid and I get minimal ,mud in there. Just remeber if you go with no AM exhaust, air filter, and no AB lid you will have to put the stock SX jets in. It WILL run with the stock 350x jets but I dont like it burning that rich

Rear fender I think are still available through HONDA. They may be discontinued but I'm almost positive they still have some.

And No the ticking noise isnot normal. The SX has an automatic cam chain tightener so if its the chain ticking and not improperly adjusted valves you'll probably see the inside of that engine soon enough. Mine bent both valves because the chain skipped a few teeth.

jasonb01
03-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Man, what would be the best way to find out if that fender is still available? Just go to my local dealer and have them call Honda or call someone like Service Honda? Does anyone know for sure if you can still get these? That would be the chit.

Dirtcrasher
03-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Hey bud, you just need to pick up the phone tomorrow....Call any parts or Honda dealer, and call all of them.

I'll bet there 250$ or more if available. And, the trunk and lid will be extra...

Maier is under 100$................................

will1806
03-02-2007, 09:51 PM
i have seen rear fenders for the 250sx online for about $160 at dennis kirk

Dirtcrasher
03-02-2007, 10:52 PM
The hell with DK, where is the link the guy had 2 weeks ago about MAIER fenders? I believe the SX rear was just about 100$

Nevermind, here it is........
http://www.atvpartsdepot.com/11970.html