PDA

View Full Version : Before & after shots of 125M motor

Huffa
02-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Just finished it, started on it this morning ..............

chris200x
02-27-2007, 08:13 PM
That cleaned up pretty nice. How'd you do it? wire wheel? Where'd find the new case?

Huffa
02-27-2007, 08:14 PM
a few more ...........

Dammit!
02-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Yeah, how'd you do it? I have to clean up my 70 motor so I can paint it soon.

Huffa
02-27-2007, 08:38 PM
It took me a good 10 hours today, did it all by hand (dremmel just for nooks and crannies) with all this stuff ..........

I 1st scrubbed it by hand with different detergent soaps and engine degreaser, then switched to the pink bottle which takes away oxidation on aluminum and scrubbed more with that on, then went back to the detergents where there was dirt I missed, then back again to the pink stuff.

Then the polish procedure began using mothers, never dull wads and mostly what is in that small green bottle. The fins were the hardest and I used a wire brush with polish which seemed to work well, then I gave the whole motor a bath again.

It was really time consuming but I knew it would be. Now it's done for life though and will always look fairly nice.

I'll find the link to the green and pink bottle I mentioned.

Eventually I'd like to paint the side cases but for now they look just fine.

I took the starter motor off because it's impossible to do a decent job on that and the engine with it on.

I won the case on ebay, Chris. It was from a TRX 125 which share the same casing, well the same motor as the M.

Huffa
02-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Here is the cleaner & polish link. The pink stuff I used before (few years ago) but got it from a heating/air cond guy. He used it for cleaning coils or something and gave it to me full strength (I diluted it though) so was more potent then this stuff. This Aluma-Kleen still did the job though.

The polish on hrere is the sled brite stuff, works good but you can get by with mothers or never dull wads that come in can.

I really like using a wire brush with the polish, that seems to work really good, takes a lot of time to buff it then with a rag, a LOT of rags, that's is.

http://www.biokleen.com/articlesfeatured_biokleen_prod.asp

Should be done in plenty of time for your "no suspesion allowed" ride Chris. :beer

oldred95
02-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Looks really good. I always thought about cleaning mine up somewhat but river water would just ruin the finish again. Anything special inside that engine or is it stock? They respond nice to a simple .040 bore and although mine still only hits around 115 psi compression it will hold its own very well. Poor valve job = low compression.

chris200x
02-27-2007, 10:09 PM
10 hours! :rolleyes: :crazy: I would have paid the few bucks and had someone bead blast the thing. ;) I've always liked the look of the unpainted motors over the black ones. you must really be bored over there.. :wondering Lets see some pics of the rest of the trike. eh? :naughty:

Should be done in plenty of time for your "no suspesion allowed" ride Chris. :beer

That is indeed good news... I may be riding on the back of it. :lol:

Huffa
02-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Looks really good. I always thought about cleaning mine up somewhat but river water would just ruin the finish again. Anything special inside that engine or is it stock? They respond nice to a simple .040 bore and although mine still only hits around 115 psi compression it will hold its own very well. Poor valve job = low compression.

It's totally stock. Quite sure it has never been apart. I had it about 2 years, rode it maybe 15 minutes the whole time but now that my casing is fixed and it won't blow a quart of oil out in 5 minutes :lol:, I'll ride it a bit more for sure.

:lol: You must have some strange river water? How's that going to ruin the finish? Is it a salt water river or what?

Huffa
02-27-2007, 10:19 PM
10 hours! :rolleyes: :crazy: I would have paid the few bucks and had someone bead blast the thing. ;) I've always liked the look of the unpainted motors over the black ones. you must really bebored over there.. :wondering

Bead blasting scares me, I'd rather take the time and not have the chance of any getting into the motor, which I heard that could possibly happen.

Probably the 3rd or 4th motor I have done this way. 10 hours on the motor is nothing when ya figure I have probably over 500 -700 hours or more on here. It's starting to feel good, the sense of accomplishment, rather then blabb so much on here :lol: I enjoyed it today, I really did. Don't forget, a large portion of the time was polishing and that you would still have to do afater a bead blast job.

Black motor statement, I totaly agree, the unpainted looks MUCH nicer. Funny you say that because I was looking at it towards the SX and thought the SX would look nice with that (black taken off) done to it, since my paint is dull and a bit aged looking anyway. It just shows up so much nicer against the black frame.

I'd just LOVE to have the side cases on the M chrome plated but that's probably like 150 per side, although I am just guessing and don't really have a clue to how much.

HEY isn't your 185 motor unpainted? If I remember correct it looked a bit better then mine was, crud wise, is it?

Post a pic or two or three. I'll bet you could do it up the same way, only other tool you would need that I didn't use, would be a case of beer :lol::lol:

Today some black PJ1 frame paint came to my door, so I'll leave you know how it works. I'm only touching up the frame because to my surprize, once the dirt was cleaned off, the frame is not in bad shape at all :beer

chris200x
02-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Yup.. the 185 motor is unpainted. I believe its actually the first and only wheeler I've owned with one. The only problem I could see is oil spots show more easily. :lol:

Let me know how that paint works as I'm thinking about doing my z frame with it. well that and a few coats of clear. Did you mail order it? I think it's about $8-$9 a can up at a local shop. Still alot cheaper than powdercoat. :rolleyes:

EDIT: HAHAAA... I just noticed your new avatar pic Gary.. Is that the trike you use when your on patrol? :rolleyes: :lol: :naughty:

jason85atc250r
02-27-2007, 11:38 PM
huffa the engine turned out relly cool cleaned up like that.

if we have the no rear suspension ride i'll have to run my 1970 atc 90 i just sold the atc 200 i had.

hey huffa whats the going rate for the 225dx's i had one of those back in junior high threw high school. it'll be cool to have another one. i sold it for $75 in 1991 to get my blaster i raced. it was in reallr bad shape from the years of abuse.