PDA

View Full Version : ytm 200 rear suspension???

pickleweasel_00
02-25-2007, 09:46 PM
Hi guys, fairly new to the forum. I was looking on ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980s-YAMAHA-200-ATC-ATV-3-Wheeler_W0QQitemZ220085092064QQihZ012QQcategoryZ67 25QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Check out the pictures, do my eyes deceive me, or is there a rear suspension on that three wheeler? I have an 83 ytm 200 and it is a solid rear axle and haven't ever seen one set up up like this. Is that a factory option, aftermarket, or custom fabbed? Anybody know what parts would be needed for this type of conversion? I'll probably leave well enough alone on mine but thought it was pretty cool

SWIGIN
02-25-2007, 09:49 PM
they made a rear suspension kit back in the day

pickleweasel_00
02-25-2007, 10:03 PM
any idea of where to get one other than the off chance one pops up on ebay?

thefox
02-25-2007, 10:27 PM
any idea of where to get one other than the off chance one pops up on ebay?

If you want one, buy that one. That trike also has a nice Cobra pipe on it too. This is the 3rd kit I have seen in the last few years of looking, it was on ebay a few weeks back and sold for a little over $400 (non-paying bidder), I am surprised it went so cheap. There was another kit on ebay this summer, I won that auction but the seller never got back to me with a price for shipping (:( ). The other 3rd kit is on my trike now thanks to freaksfix here on the boards, it turns out the kit was sitting in a salvage yard just an hour away.

4cylinders
02-25-2007, 10:31 PM
hey, does anyone have any pictures of the kit before it's installed? I'd really like to have one for the 3x3 project.

thefox
02-25-2007, 10:43 PM
hey, does anyone have any pictures of the kit before it's installed? I'd really like to have one for the 3x3 project.

They aren't great but here they are (3rd pic also have the exhaust, foot pegs, and motor mount (in top left)). Basically it involves the swing arm, top shock mount (made of 2 plates and 2 tubes), pivot bolt and mounts (2 plates), and a shock. As you can see my kit is very well used, I need to take it apart this summer and remake the pivot bolt mount plates as the pivot bolt holes are worn out.

4cylinders
02-25-2007, 10:54 PM
hey, thanks!! pictures are kinda fuzzy, but I get the idea. can you take better pictures when you have it apart? 3x3 is going to take a while to gather all the parts needed.

thefox
02-25-2007, 11:11 PM
hey, thanks!! pictures are kinda fuzzy, but I get the idea. can you take better pictures when you have it apart? 3x3 is going to take a while to gather all the parts needed.

Yeah, it won't be till May at the earliest but I will.

4cylinders
02-25-2007, 11:19 PM
hey, that would be great!! maybe we can put together some specs for a set of drawings.

pickleweasel_00
02-26-2007, 01:22 AM
well if anyone ever comes across another kit, pm me and I will buy it. No ebay account yet so not sure if I'll be able to get the trike off ebay. Or if anybody can get detailed pics with some measurements, maybe I can fab something up but that might be more trouble than it's worth :) think a swingarm off something else could be coaxed into fitting?

Vealmonkey
02-26-2007, 02:25 PM
I remember just seeing something in one of the dirt bike mags about a kit that you can put on any dirtbike and make it 2wd! It is in one of the most recent mags. Try looking at that for your 3x3.

SWIGIN
02-26-2007, 02:29 PM
lol...i used to bug my dad for that yamy 200 rear kit back in the mid 80s...of course he said no

i think they were around $400

pickleweasel_00
02-26-2007, 04:05 PM
anybody know who made them?

WIkid500
02-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Yep I love that kit. I think I am going to build a rear swingarm for mine. Hey Fox does your rig have a bushing where the swingarm bolt rides or bearings? Thanks.

pickleweasel_00
02-26-2007, 08:05 PM
hey if you build something, take some pics! I would like to see some other peoples ideas on how they build it. I think it wouldn't be too hard to build my own, just don't know what type or size of shock to use, that's the only place i'd be stuck. Like you said, bushings or bearings? And would the stock air box be in the way of the shock, or can it stay where it's at?

WIkid500
02-26-2007, 08:51 PM
I will take a bunch of pic's. Doing stuff like this is what I love doing, Fabrication. I just never have the time to do it. I will be working on it after this spring, and hope to have it done before early July. I will be going for a ride up north then.

thefox
02-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Mine has brass bushings in where the pivot bolt goes through. The pivot bolt is actually a tapered shaft that is threaded on both ends; the bushings are then tapered to fit the shaft. I have been thinking of switching over to a bolt-nut setup instead since I need to remake the mount for the frame and the threads on the pivot are not that great.

The shock shouldn’t be too hard to come up with, a blaster shock looks similar, I am sure there are others that are similar too.

The big downside with the kit is the air box has to be removed. I have a Uni air filter clamped on the back of the carb. now, I need to get a small piece of tubing so that the filter is at a better angle.

pickleweasel_00
02-27-2007, 12:03 AM
nice pics, that makes alot more sense now how it's set up. any problems with keeping the chain adjusted? defenitely on my to do list :D

thefox
02-27-2007, 12:39 AM
nice pics, that makes alot more sense now how it's set up. any problems with keeping the chain adjusted? defenitely on my to do list :D

That’s a maybe;) . I put the kit on this December and only have 5 min. max ride time on it. I need to pick up a spring loaded chain tensioner and put it on, an aftermarket quad one should work fine. The swinger still has the same style mounts for the bearing carrier so the chain can be adjusted some but in order to have the tension correct when the shock bottoms out there is too much slack when the spring is lightly compressed. Without the tensioner the chain would spin on the (new) sprockets when I hit the gas hard. I have a home made tensioner on it now which seems to work but the real-deal is about $25.

thefox
02-27-2007, 12:51 AM
Oh yeah, another thing is because the swinger extends there rear end back a little the stock brake cables and chain are short. I was able to re-run the hand brake cable but the foot cable needs to be a few inches longer. I haven't looked around for another cable yet, any ideas?

350x'inNY
03-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Oh yeah, another thing is because the swinger extends there rear end back a little the stock brake cables and chain are short. I was able to re-run the hand brake cable but the foot cable needs to be a few inches longer. I haven't looked around for another cable yet, any ideas?

Would a 225DX foot brake cable be longer?

Is that a PK Racing setup? Seems like my old mags have ads and test articles about the YTM200 rear suspension kits. Seems like Trikeaholic had one on his 175 and a spare one?

Bruce