PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove engine casing gasket?

Huffa
02-25-2007, 06:59 PM
I usually use a razor blade, is there an easier way? This gasket is really on good.

Petenpole
02-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Take a rag soak it in lacquer thinner and lay it on the gastet to loosen the adhesion ( make sure you keep the rag wet with lacquer thinner) and then scrape away.

edog
02-25-2007, 07:14 PM
"Fine" wire wheel.

Bryan Raffa
02-25-2007, 07:15 PM
the best and easyest! is this a must in the tool box!
http://www.jackxchange.com/products/IR301-2MK.cfm

it dont get any easeyer than that!;)

4cylinders
02-25-2007, 07:19 PM
hey, minimoto tool, with a mini wire brush.

Dirtcrasher
02-25-2007, 07:32 PM
That sidecase is like an SX with the starter and can be a bear to get every nook and cranny. I like to use a wood chisel that I sharpen on a disc sander. It has the reach to get in there, if you see any aluminum coming off your using too steep of an angle. The gasket remover spray also works very well but should be brushed on as the overspray eats paint.

edog
02-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Carefull getting that stuff on the inside case and leaving it there.

Huffa
02-25-2007, 08:02 PM
That sidecase is like an SX with the starter and can be a bear to get every nook and cranny. I like to use a wood chisel that I sharpen on a disc sander. It has the reach to get in there, if you see any aluminum coming off your using too steep of an angle. The gasket remover spray also works very well but should be brushed on as the overspray eats paint.

Lot's of good ideas here, thanks guys!

DC, you say spray, then "brushed on", does it come either way? Can I get the stuff at almost any auto parts store?

Any particular brand?

Huffa
02-25-2007, 08:04 PM
"Fine" wire wheel.

Is that what you always use edog? I think I have a fine wire wheel.

Can you show me your fine one, I want to compare.

Huffa
02-25-2007, 08:05 PM
hey, minimoto tool, with a mini wire brush.

A dremmel tool you mean? I have one of those.

Huffa
02-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Take a rag soak it in lacquer thinner and lay it on the gastet to loosen the adhesion ( make sure you keep the rag wet with lacquer thinner) and then scrape away.

I'll try a small section, just to see how your method works.

Lacquer thinner, paint thinner, it's all the same thing, right?

Huffa
02-25-2007, 08:08 PM
the best and easyest! is this a must in the tool box!
http://www.jackxchange.com/products/IR301-2MK.cfm

it dont get any easeyer than that!;)

Is that what you have raffa man?

Dirtcrasher
02-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Lot's of good ideas here, thanks guys!

DC, you say spray, then "brushed on", does it come either way? Can I get the stuff at almost any auto parts store?

Any particular brand?

I use the spray stuff but spray it on a piece of aluminum foil, then dip my acid brush into it.

Any wire wheel does beat up the aluminun to some extent and I won't use them.

When I'm done scraping, I use a stone with WD40 sprayed on it to make the gasket mating surfaces perfectly flat before I assemble them. I've never had a leak with this method. Lots of leaks when I was a stupid kid, thank god now I'm a stupid adult :D

Huffa
02-25-2007, 08:34 PM
I use the spray stuff but spray it on a piece of aluminum foil, then dip my acid brush into it.

Any wire wheel does beat up the aluminun to some extent and I won't use them.

When I'm done scraping, I use a stone with WD40 in it to make the gasket mating surfaces perfectly flat before I assemble them. I've never had a leak with this method. Lots of leaks when I was a stupid kid, thank god now I'm a stupid adult :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: Me too at times!!

edog
02-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Is that what you always use edog? I think I have a fine wire wheel.

Can you show me your fine one, I want to compare.

Are you talking about the wire wheel?:crazy:

Dirtcrasher
02-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Are you talking about the wire wheel?:crazy:

Why is he crazy? He wants to compare your wire wheel to something.

Hell you love pictures better than everyone on this board so get on it :crazy:

Billy Golightly
02-25-2007, 08:51 PM
I use either a gasket scraper or the same thing raffa posted. Well not the EXACT same thing but a 90 degree die grinder with one of those pads on it.

Huffa
02-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Why is he crazy? He wants to compare your wire wheel to something.

Hell you love pictures better than everyone on this board so get on it :crazy:

Yea, why is that so crazy edog? I want to see what you mean by FINE because I have a fine wire wheel and to me it's still too course to use on the casing.

.......and like DC says, your a picture freak so I'd figure you would jump at the oppertunity to clickity-click! :lol:

Huffa
02-25-2007, 09:05 PM
I use either a gasket scraper or the same thing raffa posted. Well not the EXACT same thing but a 90 degree die grinder with one of those pads on it.

Gasket scraper, that's a tool with about 3/4 to an inch wide blade with a screw driver type of handle on it, is that correct?

Can you get them in all kinds of different widths?

The raffa tool and your grinder sound great but it's not all that often I take motors apart. What other use do they have, if there are quite a few, that may make it more attractive to me for shelling out the money.

I just don't to pay 70-80 bucks for a tool I might use twice or once a year, that's why the scraper seems more the hot set up for me.

aquapunk
02-25-2007, 09:12 PM
i used a die grinder with a softer pad. came off of my 200x no problem. just dont push down too hard, im might wear a low spot in your case.

Dirtcrasher
02-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Gasket scraper, that's a tool with about 3/4 to an inch wide blade with a screw driver type of handle on it, is that correct?

Can you get them in all kinds of different widths?

The raffa tool and your grinder sound great but it's not all that often I take motors apart. What other use do they have, if there are quite a few, that may make it more attractive to me for shelling out the money.

I just don't to pay 70-80 bucks for a tool I might use twice or once a year, that's why the scraper seems more the hot set up for me.

Gasket scrapers are nice because they have a long thin handle and a short wide scraping piece. A regular wood chisel does the trick especially if you buy the gasket remover - I think the one I use is Permatex

Bryan Raffa
02-25-2007, 10:45 PM
ya thats what i got huffa, you can get all kinds of pads for it. You can use it for sanding, removeing rust,removeing paint, polishing&buffing, shapeing fiberglass. you can also find them cheeper, I just used that pic for to show ya what it looked like.