PDA

View Full Version : new 250r-couple questions

mudbogger
02-25-2007, 09:09 AM
First things first, the 25or wasnt a 86-?? it is an 85-the seller wasnt to keen on the year-how that got around him is a mistery to me-but whatever!!
Second, he stated it rans great-went there didn't run at all.Tryed to kick it couple times, nothing.All of a sudden I smell fuel, look down and it is dripping from the pipe at a steady rate-seller tells me I'm gonna have to clean the carb and tank,he THINKS the fuel is bad and thats why it doesnt start(HMMM NEVER MENTIONED IT BEFORE-grrrrr)
Overflow lines are pouring fuel, and plug is dripping wet-the term RUNS WELL isnt going to fly with me right now.I'm not happy :twisted:
Seller stated the rear bearings had been replaced and in "perfect shape" -again after quick check they are loose, they appear to have replaced but locking nut is hand tight, as is the rear hubs and aftermarket wheel extenders.
Plastics were pictured by seller as OEM, get there they are Maiers front and rear,says he sold them prior to my viewing and forgot to tell me-now I'm pissed!!! the tank which appeared to be in great shape in the pictures is very poor condition cosmecticly-thats not a big deal to me as the OEM plastics I believe are still available for this but nontheless I had pictured OEM and they arent.OK price is going to be as discussed/renegotiated thats for sure !!!
Motor has been rebuilt, stock bore , compression checks out, it appears to have been recently done as the case gaskets, water pump and side cover gaskets are clean and fresh,and he provided paperwork from shop that did work, so we ok there hoefully.
So-after a brief discussion he knocks off 500.00 and I take it home.Get it home immed try camera-dam fiance didnt charge the batteries, so pics gonna have wait till tomorrow-sorry fellas!! but I tear into it, put fresh plug and check for spark, got it.Move to the air box and carb, airbox has gas smell in it and residue of fuel, inlet to the airbox has fuel inside it, but a small amount-so I pull the carb, slide is worn allitle but no scrathes-tilt the carb to start on the bowl screws, fuel spewwing out from every angle, obviously we have bad needle seat or stuck float valve as the carb was totally filled up to the top of the needle, as was reed cage.Pull the bowl screws, totally flooded out, so I have apparantly found my problem,needs all new internals-I am relieved but not happy to say the least.I pulled the reed cage and it is fine, no light between the petals, they sealed good although I do not think the cage and reeds are aftermarket-like a V-force or Boyseen but I may be wrong-I'll take picture of them for you guys to help me there.
Now I have question: what the stock carb for these machines?I have a PE on mine it has the markings on the side of it as follows: PE 37A A WF the internals are as follows:
52 slow jet
150 main jet
D105 needle-clip on 2nd from top
38 float valve
26E-30 slide
It has a UNI-FILTER 2 stage air filter with no air box lid.
Are these internals stock for that carb and or is that carb stock to the machine by chance?Where do you guys like to purchase your carb parts from, I have used CARB PARTS WAREHOUSE for many Kiehin stuff in the past, but would love any imput to another supplier.Also, I am going to replace several items on the machine like the kickstarter, fuel tank, headlight bezel and air box lid-again is there a place the board like to give bis to by chance?Opps 1 other thing, the pipe is a Paul Turner but it has numerous dents in the expansion chamer by the front wheel and appears to have been fixed numerous times in the past, although I have no idea if in fact the jug is on the stock bore without ripping the top end off, any ideas on a pipe to buy,I do not wish to keep this one presently.It is no biggie to swap this carb out for new, but not knowing what I have per bore size I am worried about carb size-is a 38,37 mm stock-do you guys go will the Kiehin Air STRYKER carbs, flatsides, whats the norm for these rides, I prefer relaibility-I am not racing here and will use for shore rides, mabye Litlle Sahara and som e coal mine riding thats it.Thanks for the help guys.:cool:

Rustytinhorn
02-26-2007, 04:12 PM
rockymountainatv.com has good fmf aftermarket pipes and silencers.
Sounds like that is the stock carb for an '85 250r. Lots of people switch them out for the '86 flatslide carb...but I don't see the need too...
Below is a carb identification chart for '85 and '86-'88?? 250r with some basic setting for each type of carb.

mudbogger
02-26-2007, 05:49 PM
rockymountainatv.com has good fmf aftermarket pipes and silencers.
Sounds like that is the stock carb for an '85 250r. Lots of people switch them out for the '86 flatslide carb...but I don't see the need too...
Below is a carb identification chart for '85 and '86-'88?? 250r with some basic setting for each type of carb.
The flatside carb-thats a PWK or a Mikuni?

Red Rider
02-26-2007, 06:56 PM
The flatside carb-thats a PWK or a Mikuni?
To answer your question correctly, the PWK is a D-slide carburetor made by Keihin. Mikuni is a different carburetor manufacturer, and they make flat-slide carburetors as well.

The 85 250R had a Keihin 34mm PE round-slide carb as original equipment.
The 86 250R had a Keihin 34mm PJ flat-slide carb as original equipment.

The Keihin PWK carbs are D-slides, which supposedly combine the best traits of both the PE & PJ carbs.

Spooky
02-26-2007, 11:18 PM
If you want to stick with a PTR replacement pipe, I highly recommend giving Duncan a call - they can set you up with the correct jetting that you need for the pipe/altitude/rider weight/average temp that you ride in, or upgrade you to something nice like a 39mm PWK. I have the PTR high rev with a 39mm that runs great.

As for the air filter cover, take a look on eBay for a guy selling modded filter covers...They have the top cut out but have a fabric cover bolted in that looks really nice.

Spooky

edog
02-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Is this them?

mudbogger
03-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the help guys,the 39mm PWK carb will fit in the stock intake and air box inlet rubbers, correct? Also, the PTR has some slight dents in the front of the expansion chamber area, this drasticly effect the performance?

mudbogger
03-02-2007, 12:26 AM
If you want to stick with a PTR replacement pipe, I highly recommend giving Duncan a call - they can set you up with the correct jetting that you need for the pipe/altitude/rider weight/average temp that you ride in, or upgrade you to something nice like a 39mm PWK. I have the PTR high rev with a 39mm that runs great.

As for the air filter cover, take a look on eBay for a guy selling modded filter covers...They have the top cut out but have a fabric cover bolted in that looks really nice.

Spooky

you wouldnt have a link for either of those 2 by chance?Duncan racing correct?