PDA

View Full Version : 200X rear axle question

Frankencelery
02-24-2007, 10:52 PM
This weekend we're doing some work on my buddy's 85 200x. We put a new rear shock and chain and sprockets on it. While it was apart, we decided to do the rear axle bearings too. I had a new set handy, so we put in the new ones with no problem.

After we had it all back together it occurred that there had been no spacer sleeve between the bearings. I looked in the manual and the diagram shows one.

My question is this: how much of a problem is this? We have been riding this machine for over a year with no problems, and although the bearings were bad, they weren't THAT bad. Do you guys think it's a big enough deal that we should take it all apart again? I was thinking we'd just forget it until we do the bearings again.

chris200x
02-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Well my guess would be that the spacer is there for a reason. Yeah, it might work for a bit. but I think your asking for more problems down the road. doesn't the spacer prevent the bearings from moving side to side? IDK... sounds pretty important to me... but maybe that's just me. :lol:

jason85atc250r
02-24-2007, 11:27 PM
you need the spacer. without it it puts allot of side load on the bearings and wears them out prematurely

Dirtcrasher
02-24-2007, 11:29 PM
It's a REAL big problem. When you tighten the rear axle nut, that spacer prevents the bearings inner races from being forced to do something they were'nt intended to do. It' just like when you install a bearing, you are not supposed to touch the inner race, just the outer race. Even simply tightening that axle nut during the install has put a side force on those bearings that will ruin them or shorten there life dramatically. It has to be in there. But, you can't take them back out so it was a waste of 2 bearings....

Frankencelery
02-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I was pretty sure it was supposed to be there, but it wasn't. I'll need to get that spacer, but I probably won't bother putting it in until the bearings go out.

Dirtcrasher
02-25-2007, 04:24 PM
If things start flopping around in there, you may ruin the axle....You can get away with ruing just one bearing from one side. Both seals can be carefully removed and reused....