PDA

View Full Version : New 85 200x owner needs help please!

Computerjoe
02-22-2007, 03:50 PM
I have always wanted a 200x finally picked one up. The problem and it is a problem. This great machine was converted to a 4 wheeler, with one of those 3x4 conversion kits you see every once in a while. Now I would like too bring this fine peace of history back to the way it was intended to be. I was wondering do I have to specifically get a 200x frontend (triple tree, forks, hub, tire, fender) to put on. Or is there interchangable parts from other bikes like a 250R or 350X. This machine is also 85 with a high compression piston and cam in it. Also one other question. I love to technical trail ride, mostly in sand and mud. which tires would any suggest for the stock rims. I have an extra pair of rims and would like to get something other than the original knobbies.

Thank you

Rustytinhorn
02-22-2007, 04:22 PM
The wider and lower pressure tires the better

Dirtcrasher
02-22-2007, 06:25 PM
You can run a 200X 250R or 350X front end on there, they all fit in all the Honda headtubes.

There are a dozen great tires out there - Holeshots, Razors, Dirt Devils(I had bad luck), Bandits, Turf Tamers, Claws - and on and on and on - I like all of them....

Muddy200x
02-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Unless your planing on rear end mods Id stay way from the 350x and the lat model 250r front ends they're just too tall. Any 83-85 200x front end will put your wheeler back in specs, and I believe that the early model 250r would be a close fit.

team-red-rider
02-22-2007, 07:09 PM
are you sure the frame wasnot cut..like the astro conv?

Dirtcrasher
02-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Unless your planing on rear end mods Id stay way from the 350x and the lat model 250r front ends they're just too tall. Any 83-85 200x front end will put your wheeler back in specs, and I believe that the early model 250r would be a close fit.

Muddy's right, but some guys love the high front end feel or "chopper" feel - I don't care for it. Most people ask this question because they have access to cheap front ends. You can raise the forks in the triple clamps a bit if it's too high and it won't be much higher than a 200X at that point.

Computerjoe
02-22-2007, 08:55 PM
no the frame was not chopped. It is the original 3x4 conversion kit that bolts upto the frame. I am not trying to be cheap on the front end. I just would like to get it as close to the original as I can. Maybe some aftermarket sccessoris like handguards and disk gaurds if I can find them. I would even like to find netted nerf bars I use to see on them when they raced them. If anyone has any good links for aftermarket parts please let me know. And thanks everyone for the great response. Maybe I can have it cleaned up and bring it to the next Trikefest...:w00t: