PDA

View Full Version : 1983 185s Ground-Up(Nearly) Rebuild

leprogle
04-23-2003, 09:12 PM
I just got done putting the motor together. I have never rebuilt a motor before, but my friend helped me, he took a small engines course at school, and i had part of a manual that told me how to put rings and set timing and such. I'm letting it sit overnight, and i'm going to fire it up tommorow after school(that's if it does). i am hoping i did everything right and it works. the timing chain seemed kinda tight. I know that bolt sticking out the bottom end near the cylinder is for adjusting the timing, but the page from the manual said to refer to another chapter to adjust timing, and i don't have that part of the manual. can anyone tell me what i should do? is the timing chain supposed to be tight or is there supposed to be some slack in it.

My frame has everything taken off of it except the tires. they will be coming off soon. I will post pics soon. i need to scan them. I can't wait to go triking again. THAT MOTOR BETTER RUN!!!#*%&*(@

wanta250r
04-23-2003, 09:48 PM
Not sure but I think it should be as tight as you can get it.

plkmonster2
04-23-2003, 10:48 PM
you only want to tighten it until it stops making noise when it runs too tight= wear on the chain and the cam, which could mean another rebuild :x DoH'

hondaATCman
04-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Yeah, just like the previous post said, you want it tight but not ultra tight or to loose.

Super tight = break

Too Loose = slapping and then break

leprogle
04-24-2003, 06:43 PM
I tried to start it up today, after hooking up all the electrical and cleaning the spark plug etc. and it won't fire! there's no spark going to the plug, and I can't figure out why!?!?! I double checked the connections and stuff, and i still can't figure it out :(

plkmonster2
04-24-2003, 06:48 PM
one connection may be backwards... or something that has to do with the firing (statot, cdi...) could have a prob...

leprogle
04-26-2003, 04:44 PM
I am finally getting a spark, but it's still not firing up.
I have a question about timing, the manual said to line up the "T" on the recoil....thing with the hole beside the pull cord, at the bottom of the motor, and then line up the circle on the cam with the notch in the top of head. Was i supposed to put the piston at TDC or BDC? would the T line up on either, or does TDC and BDC matter, since the T is lined up.
I am getting really pissed. I don't know why the bike won't start up. it's getting a spark, and there's gas going into it, and it sounds like it's almost going to start up but it won't. sometimes it sorta makes a half-assed backfire noise when i'm pulling it over but it won't start up!!!