PDA

View Full Version : T3 head gasket

ccdhowell
02-19-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm rebuilding my T3 and all is going well, motor in frame, forks together, swingarm and axle coming together. This moring I poured some of the blue ice antifreeze in the radiator. When I looked at it a while later the headgasket was seeping antifreeze. I used a new headgasket that came in a complete kit I bought off ebay, came clear wrapped with yellow cardstock inside, don't remember the name of company. Anyway, I tourqued the head nuts to when the book calls for, 18 ft lbs, if memory serves. When I saw the seep, I tourqued the nuts to 30 ft lbs and it still seeped, then I torqued to 40 ft lbs and it looks to be still seeping. I don't want to torque it any tighter that I already have. Is it a bum headgasket or what other ideas do ya'll have. Chris

T3 LOPES
02-19-2007, 06:13 PM
check your head and jug surfaces there could have a small inperfection,like a valley which will allow it to seep. The head gasket should have been ok.

atckowalski
02-19-2007, 07:21 PM
The same thing happened to my T3 and after a little bit of riding it went away.

ccdhowell
02-19-2007, 08:48 PM
atckowalski, I think I'm gonna leave it for now and hope for your outcome. Problem is the trike is in pieces and it'll probably be a couple weeks before I'm at a point to fire it up. Maybe I'll drain the antifreeze until I'm ready to crank it.

Should I back off the torque I put on the nuts or leave it?

Chris

tyman
02-19-2007, 09:23 PM
i don't think its hurting anything.. and if it is, the damage is already done.. i'd back them off some...

90nut
02-19-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm with Lopes here. Your head or cylinder could have an imperfection that causes it not so seal correctly. The only real way to take care of this is to get your cylinder decked to make sure it doesn't have any surface issues and also check the deck and head for straightness using a piece of glass if you want to check it out yourself. You do have to remove the studs for that though.

nd4speed
02-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Tape Sand paper to a thick enough piece of glass and sand in a figure 8 motion and deck it yourself. The head would be easier.