PDA

View Full Version : rear sproket hardening

3bogger
02-19-2007, 11:15 AM
the teeth on the sprokets of me and my roomates 185s's keep bending over within a year. so have been toying with the idea of flame hardening the teeth. i was thinkin a real simple flame hardening with a rich oxy/act torch and oil quench. has anyone tryed this? do you think it will help or have i drank to many brain cells away?

tyman
02-19-2007, 12:14 PM
hmm.. it would probably work... or instead of bending the teeth, it would break them off...

DeePa
02-19-2007, 01:24 PM
buy a new chain with the sprockets and youll be fine but make sur eyou arent over tightening the chain

3bogger
02-19-2007, 04:55 PM
yea i just put a new set up on it 4 or 5 months ago, i just figured that they should last longer than that. i was thinkin if i put a little surface hardening on there it might last a little longer. i usaly tighten the chain so there is about 1" of slop in it.

Dirtcrasher
02-19-2007, 11:52 PM
If the sprocket is just cold rolled steel, heating them up will do more bad than good. If you could find a better quality set and make sure that they are lined up perfect and that the chain tension is kept up, they shouldn't need replacing that often. For a motor that powerless, I think you may have another problem going on....

dufrain
02-20-2007, 03:03 AM
The sprockets are already hardened to the right hardness or they would wear out quicker.Get an o ring chain and both new sprockets at the same time and they should hold up.Spray a little lube on there once in a while.If you use a non o ring in the mud it will end up stretching and wearing out your spockets quicker.Make sure you replace the chain and sprockets always as a set.

3bogger
02-20-2007, 01:17 PM
ok, thanks. we run in the mud ALOT and i dont think i have an o ring chain.

SWIGIN
02-20-2007, 01:55 PM
yeah get a good chain...spend at least $50 on the chain

i bought a $20 chain back in the late 80s and it lasted 3 days on a 200x