PDA

View Full Version : Help!

troy
02-18-2007, 06:49 PM
I need help fast....I have tore down the top end of my bike and i have got one big problem. The last gasket WILL NOT come off in one piece. Reason, yamaha used a product called yamabond. How can i safely remove the gasket. Like i said it's coming up in pieces, in place not coming up at all

Thanks guys

Throesch
02-18-2007, 06:54 PM
when we overhauled mine we used diesel to clean it. And i used a razor blade to clean of the surfaces where the new gaskets would go. I dont know a whole lot so im not certain thats your problem. Just tryin to help.

troy
02-18-2007, 06:56 PM
when we overhauled mine we used diesel to clean it. And i used a razor blade to clean of the surfaces where the new gaskets would go. I dont know a whole lot so im not certain thats your problem. Just tryin to help.

I'll up load a picture in about 10 minutes so you all can have a look and see what i'm talking about:) ...but any help at this point will be great. this has put one big STOP in my rebuild

troy
02-18-2007, 07:01 PM
heres the picture of my problem

Bryan Raffa
02-18-2007, 07:36 PM
brand new razor blade and hold it somewhat flat try not to scrape up the metal

Liquid-Darkness
02-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Yeah the base gasket always gets replaced when you take off the jug. Make sure nothing gets into your case. I had that same problem with a gasket here on my jug. I sat here for a little more then an hour with a small ice pic and a flat head screw driver and scraped it off peice by peice.

Erics350x
02-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Use a soft wire wheel on a drill.

grundlegrabber
02-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Wire wheel will remove and damage the aluminum. I recommend a razor blade scraper with a few new blades. Stuff a clean shop rag in the hole and try not to get any junk in there. Be careful not to gouge the aluminum and take your time. The razor will scrape down to the aluminum. Don't use any gasket sealer or bonding agent on the base or head gaskets.

troy
02-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys...i got her all done and cleaned up. :p ...while i was poking around i notice some thing, the top of my piston has NO carb build up on it, it's the same OEM piston that was installed when the bike was made, and the rings are in GREAT shape. How ever i didn't just spend 45 dollers CAD on new rings for nothing, so i'm going to install them too with all the new gaskets i got. My next question is, how many others here have a o-ring that goes around the cylinder sleve?. mine has one and the sleve slips on down into the engine. Keep in mind this is my first bike i'v striped down.

Oh i forgot to say. I WILL NOT BE USING ANY YAMABOND OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT...LOL:lol: .....if it leaks oil from the gaskets because i didn't i'll just keep adding oil...lol..

But why did yamaha use this stuff anyways, there has to be another reason besides the oil leaking thing?