PDA

View Full Version : Not getting fuel?

super90
02-18-2007, 04:36 PM
My 79' 110 only runs when you spray gas directly into the carb but it will only stay running for a minute. The spark plug is brand new and is not covered in oil or soot or anything like that. What could be some of the problems blocking the gas from getting to the engine? I checked to see how much gas was in the bowl and it was about an 1/8 full. I dont see how you could adjust the floats since there plastic and would break? Any help would be appreciated.

And yes i did clean the carb many times.

Rustytinhorn
02-18-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure whats on '79's but a few basics.
Check the petcock, could be plugged. Fuel lines on tight. Check that air filter isn't plugged. Also I can bend my floats right where it connects with the float valve. Also might check the intake manifold for cracks. Make sure your float isnt collapsed or absorbed with gas. I've been told to check my valves too.

Erics350x
02-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Petcock or float valve. Pull the fuel line and turn the gas on to see if its flowing good. If not take it apart and clean it. If it flows good its in the carb either clogged or a stuck float valve.
A bad float or a clogged air filter would cause it to flood.

super90
02-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Im almost positive its the float now. It barely lets enough gas in to even move the float. How would I know if the float valve is bad? And would running it without a filter have anything to do with it? Ive been screwing around with it without the air box so i can have easy access to the carb? Also there is no fuel line blockage, and the diaphram is still good.

Liquid-Darkness
02-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Sometimes when my slow jet plugs it runs like that. Maybe your jets are plugd. A blown out carb rebuilt and adjusted right should clear it up. That and the fuel flow. Maybe there is some crud from your tank stoping up the fuel flow.

super90
02-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Fuel flow is good, I took it all off and it flows fine, whenever its actually all together it dosent even get enough to fill the bowl. Im pretty sure its the float valve now. Is there anyway to get it to stop sticking so bad? Every single 110 I've owned had this problem?

Rustytinhorn
02-19-2007, 02:48 AM
My bad eric. If its collapsed it wouldn't float hence you would flood.
Make sure that when you install your float vavle back into the float that the little push pin and the flat area the pin insterts into is sitting inside of the float and not freely in the valve hole in the carb. The valve itself should sit inbetween the plastics of the float. If you take out the pin that holds the float to the carb and lift the float up, your valve should also come out with the float.
I have tried to show what I mean with the pics below as to where the float vavle should sit inside the flaot. Hope this works. I feel real stupid if it doesn't, but whose ever heard of an over-boyant float??

Rustytinhorn
02-19-2007, 03:32 AM
Just another thought, might make sure your pin isn't sticky or rusted, and also try leaving the bottom of the bowl off, hook the gas up, and see if you can manually play with the float and get some gas flowin through there. Good Luck. No having the air filter off shouldn't effect the float level, might make ya run a little lean though. lol

super90
02-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the pic, that valve looks alot different from mine? Might not be the right one? :confused: So last night i manually filled the bowl with gas about 3/4 the way and it still wouldnt fire up. Also I couldnt take the bowl off and play with the float since the gas inlet is hooked up to the bowl itself. It seems like the jets are constantly clogged now? You can barely blow air through the pilot jet so that might be a problem. I might just take a carb off an old pitbike and put that tank on there for now to see how it runs.

Ill let you know if i can fix it by putting a new valve in when i get home. Thanks for the help :beer

Rustytinhorn
02-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Good Luck. That carb was from an '81 110 and I wasn't sure if a '79 was the same. Sorry none of my info worked, but good luck.

Erics350x
02-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Install a inline fuel filter to prevent this from reoccuring. Take a strand of wire from a old speaker wire and run threw the jets. Pull the needle valve and make sure it and the needle seat are clean. With the float installed hold the carb upside down and see if the float is setting level with the bowl flange, if not bend the tab on the float that pushes the vale to adjust the float level.

Dirtcrasher
02-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Guitar strings and carb cleaner work great for the small holes in jets. Your really not supposed to put any type of metal in the jet passage but as long as it's just helping the carb cleaner do it's job and it's done gently it won't hurt anything. All the soaking in the world still needs a little help.