PDA

View Full Version : Official 250R Missile project thread: Pix Inside

grundlegrabber
02-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Some of you may know that I have been working on putting together a missile bike over the last several months. This is a fat-cat style bike made from an '85 ATC250R. I acquired a missile swingarm kit from greenhuman awhile back. I am combining it with a parts chassis I picked up about 3 yrs ago, along with some other parts from ebay, a few people on this site, and other parts bikes I've had.

The frame was in perfect shape. I had it blasted and powdered. Same thing with the swinger. The motor I'm using is a tech-school '85 R motor that has never been fired. I thought about using a CR250 motor (with rearward kick) and fabbing up some mounts to make it work, but I haven't had as much free time as I'd like, and this motor came along.

Here's where I'm at right now. Frame and powdercoating are all done. Still need a few bolts and spacers to mount the rear shock in place. I'm currently rebuilding the forks, but I rean into trouble this past week, when I noticed that one of the chrome fork tubes had a bad nick in it and is no good! No sweat, a fellow member is gonna help me out. Just another setback. Seems like everytime I get going on something, I need a stupid little part that nobody seems to have:lol:

Anyway, check out the pics so far, I'll update the thread from time to time. Anybody else have one of these bikes??

edog
02-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Looking good!!!!!!!!!!

Orangecnty250r
02-17-2007, 10:15 PM
I love those Missle Kits...Nice Work so Far!!!

grundlegrabber
02-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanx edog & OC. Originally I was going to build this as a sort of one-of-a-kind bike, with the CR motor and some other neat stuff, rather than just a converted trike. But the scope of my project changed a little. I'm putting it together so that someday if I get the urge, I can use the missile parts and build the one of a kind bike, then put a trike rear end back on this one and have a fully restored '85 ATC.

What do you guys think? Need suggestions on a rear tire. Not sure what will work best for this thing.

edog
02-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Sound good to me.
22x11x9 ITP Mud Lite with about 7 PSI in it.You want to have something that does good in all conditions,I was Very happy with mine on my 225 I sold.I kinda miss that trike.:(

Drop the back about an inch too.

cr480r
02-18-2007, 01:23 AM
I think the missiles are pretty sweet. Have you ridden one? are they ridable? I have often considered building a fat-tired cycle myself. Do you have a picture of the rear hub?

petesatc
02-18-2007, 05:34 AM
WOW good work ......that's going to be the best missile in the world!!!!!

Aussieduner
02-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Grundle nice work mate good to see the swinger again its been a long time since i had that on my 85 R,cant wait to see the final product !
Keep the pics rolling !

Aussie

blue27
02-18-2007, 08:02 AM
looking good so far, keep us posted.

chris200x
02-18-2007, 07:14 PM
It's nice to see this project underway. Most of the pic's I've seen of the missles they were running the stock rear R tire. so they must work pretty well.

Hey Grundle, I wanted to ask since your kinda in my neighborhood.. who did your frame and what did they charge you. I'm still undecided if I'm going to paint my z frame or have it powdered. (If I can find a good price)

thanks

random-strike
02-18-2007, 07:40 PM
that thing outta be a handful when its done.

i love the big wheels and fatcats

grundlegrabber
02-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Never ridden a missile. Closest thing was a bigwheel 80 yamaha. From what I hear, they don't handle all that well. Seems like it would be a cool sand bike, although there's no sand riding around here anywhere. For the rear tire, I'm thinking maybe a stock 350X rear tire (since it has the more rounded profile than the 250R tire). I don't want anything too flat or too aggressive.

Chris, for the powdercoating I used FMR powdercoating, a local guy that has a shop a few miles from here. Frame came out beautiful, swingarm is so-so. I think it was 200 for all the powder, and 125 for the sandblasting (which I had done elsewhere). Powdercoat is thick and durable. I prefer it over paint (besides, I don't know a good paint guy around here, just the powdercoat dude). I had the same guy powder all the radiators in my house. They came out lookin sweet!