PDA

View Full Version : Changing fork springs.....difficult?

85deathride
02-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Hey guys, just wondering what is involved in swaping out fork springs on an 85 Tri-Z? Is it difficult or pretty simple? :wondering

ATC-Eric
02-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Very simple. Your going to change the oil too right? How about the seals, do they leak?

You dont even have to take them off the bike. Jack it up so there is no preasure on the forks, remove the caps, and pull the two springs out (two in each). If you want to change the oil in them, there is an allen key on the bottom you can remove, and the oil will come out.

Put your new springs in, measure out the correct amount of oil, and cap it off. The manual stats there should be 7 psi in the forks (if my mind serves me correct) that you can just fill with air. I have been told not to preasurize them, just to cap them off.

I have been looking into some progressive springs for my Z, is that what your doing? Whats going in there?

Good luck.

85deathride
02-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks, Eric. :beer Yes, I was thinking Progressive Springs also. Dennis Kirk has them for $75 a pair.

SET THE STAGE
02-16-2007, 05:48 PM
i'm glad you posted this (both of you). i've been thinking of doing a little rebuild on my 200x. they seem to be leaking and the forks seem somewhat weak.

ATC-Eric
02-16-2007, 06:48 PM
i'm glad you posted this (both of you). i've been thinking of doing a little rebuild on my 200x. they seem to be leaking and the forks seem somewhat weak.

Rebuilding is a little more of a difficult process. Do you have a manual? If not I say you pick one up. You can download one from a link on here.

Once you have done it once though, its a little more simple.

Bryan Raffa
02-16-2007, 07:11 PM
the allen bolt on the bottom is not for draining it's for removeing the tubes, the bolt on the rear of the fork is for draining, I do think its a 8mm

ATC-Eric
02-16-2007, 09:29 PM
the allen bolt on the bottom is not for draining it's for removeing the tubes, the bolt on the rear of the fork is for draining, I do think its a 8mm

Good call Bryan, thanks!

Dammit!
02-17-2007, 01:02 AM
You can find the springs on ebay for like fifty bucks but you need to know the part number.

InPiEcEs
02-17-2007, 02:20 AM
the Progressive springs are a one piece deal right?
I got em in my R, and those are one piece, for 85 and 86.

85deathride
02-17-2007, 04:49 AM
the Progressive springs are a one piece deal right?
I got em in my R, and those are one piece, for 85 and 86.

The pics of them that I have seen show that they are 1 piece.

TimSr
02-17-2007, 10:51 AM
They are one piece, but they use a different part for 85 and 86 TriZ. These are basically universal based on fork diameter, with PVC spacers to accomodate length differences between models.

The drain plug on a TriZ is on the rear of the lower leg near the bottom, and has a 10mm head.