PDA

View Full Version : How do the 2-stroke 250 trikes compare to the new stuff?

Dynofox
04-23-2003, 10:43 AM
I'm just curious how the 2-stroke 250's compare to the new sport quads on the market these days? I know a lot of it has to do with rider skill, so i'm sure some of the results will vary.

loco250r
04-23-2003, 10:53 AM
:shock: the two cycle is hot!! will blow away those silly quads, give me my 250r and they eat my mud.

ATCRYDER
04-23-2003, 11:59 AM
To me, The average 3 wheeler rider is easily a better rider than the average quad rider for many reasons but the 250 2 strokes still are a wrecking cru to any sport quad.

I have faith that an 86/87 T3 could blaze past any quad out (LT500R included).

250R's speak for themselves, faster than their counterpart TRX's.

Dynofox
04-23-2003, 12:09 PM
I'm wondering about my 85 Z with a full dg system and boysen reeds. As long as it gives the raptor some competition i'll be happy. :-D

atc86r
04-23-2003, 04:56 PM
cornering isn't as good. i'm able to corner fast but faster on quad. my atc can outdrag all the new stuff and at silver lake i jump or out jump anyone on a quad. daryl rath out did me in jumping last year on his predator. i wasn't into that day. if i see him this year i'll go a little faster.

plkmonster2
04-23-2003, 08:43 PM
i can keep up with a 400ex on my 225dr until he hits 4th gear, and has more speed up into 5th. i think that tri-z should be good compitition with a raptor, especially the 01's because their gearing is bad... my uncle has one and 1st gear is between 2nd and 3rd on my dr, and reverse is even worse.

TimSr
04-23-2003, 10:13 PM
From the original post, Im not sure if you meant 250 trikes, or 250 quads, but a quick visit to some local amateur motocross or cross country races will tell you a lot. When I started racing ATVs in 1998, TRX250R's ruled the MX track. They had a Blaster class, Woodsman (beginner), 4 stroke, 2 stroke, and Senior (over 30) classes. the 4 stroke class often only had 3 or 4 quads, with 2 stroke having 12-15 riders. In mixed classes (Woodsman and Senior) the R's ruled along with an LT and a Banshee or 2.

Since the 400EX, everything started changing dramatically, and while the TRX250R is still competitive, sadly, its now at a disadvantage. While its still a little quicker than the 400 size thumpers in straights, they just dont ride like them, and races arent won on the straights. Ask somebody like Trike (who hasnt been around in a while) who sold his R and got a Z400. I rode his Z400, and its like leaving a gravel road and getting onto pavement! When you compare them to the big 600+ thumpers, they arent even quite as fast.

In answer to your question, "how do they compare?", they are hanging in there, still competitive, but not the king they once were. Its a little sad for die hard two strokers like myself, but things change, and 250R's and their inferior two stroke counterparts are on the decline, and they will not experince any miraculous rebirth. I dont like it, but its the way it is.

plkmonster2
04-23-2003, 11:02 PM
i really dont like, and dont ride 2 strokes because of their unreliability, and they also burn up alot quicker. for me, a 2stroke 3 wheeler above 175cc is almost killer becuase im only 90lbs (8th grade), and i dont like how when you do a holeshot, it lurches a bit, then it hits the powerband and starts to really leap. i also agree with tim. the 400ex's have taken over because of how well they handle. when i get enough money, i might snag up a 400z because i have ridden a 400ex, an really liked it, but i dont like how it doesn't have reserse. :x also, for the same price, the z is watercooled ;)