PDA

View Full Version : carb q's please help

monstertruckr81
02-12-2007, 04:54 PM
so ok i put a new motor in my 350 x and could nt get it to start so i pop started it and it ran for a few minutes my question is

i put some gas on a rag and started kicking it w/choke on and it fired up let it run for a minute and set the choke at 1/2 idle came down a bit so after letting it run for like 5 min i tried giving it some gas to rev it up and it dies and wont start back up unless i put the rag in front of the carb so whats the problem

i just cleaned the carb out and cleaned the fuel pet cock out and installed an in line filter and cleaned out all the jets real good

my other question is is it possible theres somthing in the small passages in the carb and if so how or what can i use to clean them out?

any info is much appreciated this thing is driving me crazy :wondering :wondering :wondering :wondering

oh yeah just wanted to say thanks in advance

ratvespa
02-12-2007, 05:04 PM
usaly carbs dont have tiny passages in them, usaly the smallest is the idle jet, best thing to clean those out is with some small guitar string or piano wire. you can usaly check the air and fuel passages by taking the carb apart and squirting carb cleaner through them.

IrvSLedman
02-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Yes, and if you squirt carb cleaner down any passages, make sure to wear safety glasses!!! lol Last time i was getting my buddies CB750four running for him, i shot carb cleaner in, it hit some crap came back out and bam right in my eye.. that F**king hurt for a while!!! well thats just some advice..

Tri-ZNate
02-12-2007, 06:06 PM
comprssed air is another thing you could use to clean them out, but what your describing is its running too lean. spray some wd-40 around the intake boot between the carb and cylinder and listen to the engine for a RPM change.

monstertruckr81
02-12-2007, 07:15 PM
its acting like its not getting fuel but when its running as soon as you crack the throttle it dies ..every thing is stock

Tri-ZNate
02-12-2007, 07:27 PM
you have an air filter on right?

monstertruckr81
02-12-2007, 08:46 PM
theres a filter on there but im trying to at least get it running first so i took the air tube frob the carb to air box off for now

even w/o the filter it should at least let me give it gas w/o killing it

Liquid-Darkness
02-12-2007, 10:14 PM
How about checking your spark plug gap? That and tear the carb apart while blowing it out well with compressed air and putting it back/ adjusting it to a stock setting should clear you up. Adjust your valves, stock 350x carb adjustments should be

138 main jet
38 slow jet
pilot/mixture screw turned 2 out from close
make sure your throttle arm lynkage is syncronized, meaning the butterfly and throttle valve open and shut at the same time.
needle setting is on 3 clip mark from the top.
plug gap is .025-.027
stock plug is DR8ES-L NKG

These and a good fuel flow to your carb should get you on the right track. If this does not get it fixed, I would buy a $6 multi reader and check your coil,cdi,stator. Let us know what works.

monstertruckr81
02-12-2007, 11:25 PM
i know one of the jets had a 42 stamped on it is that stock ?

Liquid-Darkness
02-13-2007, 01:42 AM
The 85 model is a 38 and the 86 model is a 45. 42 is not bad. The way to tell if its too big or small is once you get the bike running right, start it warm it up and set the idle. If it gradually revs high after you set it, you should lean it out one. If it starves at idle and dies out, you should go one bigger. PM sent monstertruckman

monstertruckr81
02-13-2007, 08:39 AM
ok i have yahoo messenger so shoot