PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z clutch and Wheel opinion....

ATC-Eric
02-12-2007, 12:35 AM
So Im about to tear back into my case, and have been thinkin about replacing the springs, and clutch plates while I was in there. When I rebuilt her, the springs and plates showed wear, but were usable.

Does anyone have experience with Vesrah springs, and plates? Should I just go OEM?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-85-86-YTZ250-Tri-Z-Clutch-Springs-VESRAH_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43977QQihZ016QQi temZ260082812853QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-85-86-YTZ250-Tri-Z-Clutch-Plate-Set-VESRAH_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43977QQihZ016QQi temZ260082812858QQrdZ1

With the wheels, I am going with an all Banshee setup in the rear. I already have an Axaliber extended axle, Im about to order hubs, just need some advice on rims. I have been looking at a set of 10x10, but dont know where to get a good tire for them. I was hoping to use a rim that big, but want a tire other then a flat tracker. There is also a 10x8 availible, as well as a 9x9. what do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ITP-T-9-Rims-Wheels-T9-Yamaha-YFZ450-Raptor-Banshee_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43983QQihZ002QQ itemZ4599001742QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-YFZ-RAPTOR-BANSHEE-WARRIOR-ITP-REAR-WHEEL-RIMS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43983QQihZ003QQite mZ130074210699QQrdZ1

So with the rims, should I go 10x10, 10x8, or 9x9. I want a holeshot tipe tire, kind of like an all around. Any advice is apreciated.

hrc200x
02-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Vesrah should be fine, if the springs are heavy duty you might feel it in the lever, be a little harder to pull, but then again the plates should last longer.

chris200x
02-12-2007, 05:34 PM
I was just going to ask you fine folks about tri z clutches. This thread will be very helpful. Mind if I ask a question or two? :rolleyes: :postwhore

you mentioned some wear... how much is too much? and were can I find a clutch basket if this is shot? Is the clutch for the yz250 the same?

Tri-Z 250
02-12-2007, 05:35 PM
When you said your going with the Banshee set up. What do you mean? The reason I ask is my hubs and rims are wasted. The axel although aftermarket was replaced in 87'. I replaced all the bearings on the last rebuild. I need to replace much of the same stuff you are. I haven't tried to explore parts as you have yet. By the way nice prices I think. Are you saying I'll need a Banshee axel, hubs when shopping due to thats all that matches? My rear shock is fine I've replaced it already so the stock swinger stays for me. Rims are tuff if you trail or offroad alot the lareger rim is nice for clearence. Motorcross/ TT stuff an 8" I think you could get away with. You may need to switch gearing too.

Tri-Z 250
02-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Yeap thats done.

ATC-Eric
02-12-2007, 07:00 PM
I was just going to ask you fine folks about tri z clutches. This thread will be very helpful. Mind if I ask a question or two?

you mentioned some wear... how much is too much? and were can I find a clutch basket if this is shot? Is the clutch for the yz250 the same?

Hey Chris, ask away. The wear that I mentioned was purely clutch plate related. I dont remember the operational wear range for the plates off hand, just know that mine are on the low end. I figured since I will be in the case soon, I might as well do some preventative maintenence.

You should be able to find a decent used basket off ebay. You can pick up a new basket here, but it will cost you a bit. This is the cheapest I found.

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

Another

http://yamaha.partswarehouse.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/yamaha.aspx

I do believe the YZ clutch baskets are interchangible, hunt down that thread to find out.

When you said your going with the Banshee set up. What do you mean? The reason I ask is my hubs and rims are wasted. The axel although aftermarket was replaced in 87'. I replaced all the bearings on the last rebuild. I need to replace much of the same stuff you are. I haven't tried to explore parts as you have yet. By the way nice prices I think. Are you saying I'll need a Banshee axel, hubs when shopping due to thats all that matches? My rear shock is fine I've replaced it already so the stock swinger stays for me. Rims are tuff if you trail or offroad alot the lareger rim is nice for clearence. Motorcross/ TT stuff an 8" I think you could get away with. You may need to switch gearing too.

When I say Im going to to Banshee setup, I mean the axle, hubs, and rims. The banshee axle will interchange with the Z hubs, and bearing carrier ect. My problem was my hubs are bad, and I dont want to go with a used Z set as we cant get new aftermarket hubs for the Z anymore. So the next option is the Banshee hubs, but they wont hook up to Z wheels. Which puts me at getting new wheels, hubs, and tires. I wanted bigger rims, and smaller tires anyways, just cost a few bucks.

Hope this helps.

Bryan Raffa
02-12-2007, 10:26 PM
heavy duty barnett springs with a rtc clutch lever and a jasco easy pull bolt on easy pull.. super sweet and super easy!!
See the alum part on the clutch actuator arm..there was a company that made them back in the day for all the yamahas that had that arm. tri-z, YZ and more, a company called jasco is makein them again.. pull it in with ya pinkey

TimSr
02-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Banshee and TriZ axle is one in the same. If you need aftermarket hubs for a TriZ, with the original TriZ bolt pattern, they are readily available all over the place, better known as Blaster hubs. For a Holeshot type 20" or 22" tire, youll want a 9x9 rim. If you are considering a track tire in 18", youll need an 8" rim, usually 8x8.5.

Vesrah clutches are every bit as lousey as their brake shoes!!!! DONT USE THEM. They wear out very fast, and the metal tabs start getting badly notched in a short period of time. Use OEM Yamaha clutch disks and OEM springs and youll get YEARS of good service out of them. Unless you are going through an unusual number of clutches, heavy duty clutches are a total waste of money, and only serve to make your hand tired until you say "screw it" and quit using the clutch altogether.

ATC-Eric
02-13-2007, 02:57 AM
Banshee and TriZ axle is one in the same. If you need aftermarket hubs for a TriZ, with the original TriZ bolt pattern, they are readily available all over the place, better known as Blaster hubs. For a Holeshot type 20" or 22" tire, youll want a 9x9 rim. If you are considering a track tire in 18", youll need an 8" rim, usually 8x8.5.

Vesrah clutches are every bit as lousey as their brake shoes!!!! DONT USE THEM. They wear out very fast, and the metal tabs start getting badly notched in a short period of time. Use OEM Yamaha clutch disks and OEM springs and youll get YEARS of good service out of them. Unless you are going through an unusual number of clutches, heavy duty clutches are a total waste of money, and only serve to make your hand tired until you say "screw it" and quit using the clutch altogether.

Thanks TimSr, very helpful. Im going to have to decide on a hub/wheel/tire setup now.

With Vesrah, are their gaskets any good? I have their complete gasket set on my bike. I havent had any problems, but I also havent put more then 4-5 rides on them.

Thanks for the advice, its oem for me :beer

ATC-Eric
02-13-2007, 04:07 AM
I was just going to ask you fine folks about tri z clutches. This thread will be very helpful. Mind if I ask a question or two? :rolleyes: :postwhore

Im not 100% sure, but I dont think your basket is suppose to look like that. I had mine apart a bit ago, and it was smooth where yours has grooves. I am assuming this would allow enough play in the discs to not be good. How do your plates look?

If your lookin, heres a cheap one on ebay..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tri-Z-YTZ250-clutch-hub-pressure-plate-off-parts-motor_W0QQitemZ250082038033QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4397 7QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tri-Z 250
02-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks! I was just checking to make sure I wasn't missing it. You can file down the basket but it won't last. If you were selling the bike and money was tight. I'd say file it to sell the bike.

sblt500r
02-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Im not 100% sure, but I dont think your basket is suppose to look like that. I had mine apart a bit ago, and it was smooth where yours has grooves. I am assuming this would allow enough play in the discs to not be good. How do your plates look?

If your lookin, heres a cheap one on ebay..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tri-Z-YTZ250-clutch-hub-pressure-plate-off-parts-motor_W0QQitemZ250082038033QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4397 7QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

that auction is only for the pressure plate. that guy does that alot. shows a pic of the whole engine and sells a small partlike a sprocket or something stupid.

his discs are thick enough. its the teeth on the discs that are worn from slapping the basket and creating those grooves. he could use it for awhile but he is gonna have to change it out. a new basket lists for $140 if its still availible! is the yz250 basket the same?

TimSr
02-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks TimSr, very helpful. Im going to have to decide on a hub/wheel/tire setup now.

With Vesrah, are their gaskets any good? I have their complete gasket set on my bike. I havent had any problems, but I also havent put more then 4-5 rides on them.

Thanks for the advice, its oem for me :beer

Ive never had problems with Vesrah gaskets, but then how technical can you get on gaskets. The exception is the head gasket. The OEM, and most aftermarket are a 3 layer steel gasket, and the TriZ seems to have more problems with head gasket leakage than others. I once ordered gaskets from Wiseco when they were doing a bore job for me, and they shipped me a Cometic head gasket. I never thought they would work well. I WAS WRONG! I wont use anthing else now. They are a thick, single layer fiber type gasket, and I have never had one leak after being installed.

sblt500r
02-13-2007, 10:26 PM
cometic gaskets are very good. also they will make you an over bore head gasket in anysize you need, for any atv, bike engine.

the worst gasket sets are the K+S kits on ebay. this lt500r clutch cover gasket doen't even come close! at least the vesrah gaskets line up. a bit expensive though.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/sblt/000_0001-3.jpg

ATC-Eric
02-14-2007, 01:05 AM
cometic gaskets are very good. also they will make you an over bore head gasket in anysize you need, for any atv, bike engine.

the worst gasket sets are the K+S kits on ebay. this lt500r clutch cover gasket doen't even come close! at least the vesrah gaskets line up. a bit expensive though.

I can get a Vesrah complete gasket kit for around $45 to my door. I dont think thats bad, it includes everything. A Vesrah head gasket by itself on ebay costs $27.

TimSr
02-14-2007, 12:02 PM
I can get a Vesrah complete gasket kit for around $45 to my door. I dont think thats bad, it includes everything. A Vesrah head gasket by itself on ebay costs $27.

Id recommend atvunlimited on ebay who sells Cometic top end gasket kits through his ebay store. Your looking at about $32 shipped. Then if you need any bottom end gaskets, buy them separately through bikebandit or some other OEM site. Most of the time, the bottom end gaskets (clutch cover and waterpump cover) can be reused several times. I cant stress how much better the Cometic head gasket is than the steel type.