PDA

View Full Version : help with flywheel asap

erikb45
02-11-2007, 10:48 AM
hey guys i need help putting the flyweel back on the tri-z.im able to hold the flywheel but got to a point where it wont tighten down any more.

rustyhondas
02-11-2007, 12:04 PM
i allways give mine a slight zip zip with a 1/2" impact gun.

Dirtcrasher
02-11-2007, 12:42 PM
hey guys i need help putting the flyweel back on the tri-z.im able to hold the flywheel but got to a point where it wont tighten down any more.

It's best to tighten it when the clutch cover is off so you can put a penny between the gears and tighten it down good. Don't want that puppy to come loose....

erikb45
02-11-2007, 12:46 PM
how when its down all the way?

Dirtcrasher
02-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Are you not able to hold it enough to tighten it or is it not seating down all the way? If it's not seating, try to see if it fits properly without the woodruff key. Then with the key. Maybe your key or keyway just needs a touch of filing to remove a burr.

When it's bottomed out and tight, it's done.

erikb45
02-11-2007, 01:36 PM
im able to hold it but its tight im using a small 3/8 breaker bar and it wont turn and im pretty sure its not down all the way. i will try filing a little

slothminx
02-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Woah woah, no filing!, these flywheels fitted in the first place, you dont need to file it to fit. If its not all the way down then try the woodruff key in the flywheel and the slot on the crank, if it fits both then it probably is all the way down.

ceaserthethird
02-11-2007, 02:45 PM
put a little grease in the woodruff key section , make sure it sit evenly. I thought you had to torque to a certain setting.... I guess most are using the old german torque settings .... keep us posted !

Dirtcrasher
02-11-2007, 03:58 PM
im able to hold it but its tight im using a small 3/8 breaker bar and it wont turn and im pretty sure its not down all the way. i will try filing a little

You only need to file it IF it has a burr or isn't seated properly. I still don't understand you first dam question.

Is your question one of the following.....

1 "How tight should nut crank nut be that holds the flywheel on"

or

2 "I don't have the proper tools to hold the engine from turning over, how do I tighten my flywheel"

or

3 "My flywheel doesn't seem to be seating properly ll the way on the crankshaft, what could be causing the interference.

Dam some of you guys drive me freaking nuts :crazy:

Bryan Raffa
02-11-2007, 04:07 PM
torque it down to 58 ft pnds or you run the risk of strippin the crank!!!!!!!

You only need to file it IF it has a burr or isn't seated properly. I still don't understand you first dam question.

Is your question one of the following.....

1 "How tight should nut crank nut be that holds the flywheel on"

or

2 "I don't have the proper tools to hold the engine from turning over, how do I tighten my flywheel"

or

3 "My flywheel doesn't seem to be seating properly ll the way on the crankshaft, what could be causing the interference.

Dam some of you guys drive me freaking nuts :crazy:

YES I AGREE!!!:eek: :eek:

erikb45
02-11-2007, 04:50 PM
ok first i dont like your tone. if you dont want to help with my question then dont if im driving you nuts then stop reading this.

1) i am not having a problem holding the motor from spinning

2) i lined it up correctly cranked it down and it stopped

3) calm down i didnt file anything yet!

now if you know the answer to the question and you would like to help then do . . .other wise find another thread to get a#$ on.

slothminx
02-11-2007, 05:09 PM
We dont have to help....

If you lined it up on the key, torqued it to the correct spec, then its tight.

If your looking for it to butt right up on the crank it probably wont, its on a taper its pressed onto the taper by the nut if it seated all the way home, the taper would be pointless.

Dirtcrasher
02-11-2007, 07:01 PM
how when its down all the way?

Here bud, this was one of your questions that no one understands.

I do post topics and ask for help myself. But, I actually get more enjoyment from helping people out that have problems. They can learn from my mistakes.

Saving someone from wasted time or costly mistakes make me feel like I helped the out ATC longevity cause.

I'll leave your post as you resquested but understand that if you don't want to mess up your parts that you need to compose a question in a manner that someone can understand what the problem is and try and help you.

Or just smash it on with a hammer like most people would and then post in the classifieds "WTB new crank" :D

LONG LIVE ATC'S

Bryan Raffa
02-11-2007, 07:39 PM
have you bought a service manual for it yet? if not that should be your first step before you go any farther.

sblt500r
02-11-2007, 10:16 PM
are you sure the threads on the crank are still in good condition? the nut could be stopping on a messed up thread. try it on before you put on the flywheel.

also the use of greese helps in the removal later on.