PDA

View Full Version : what can you tell me about an 83 250R

Lomax
02-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Kinda the ups and downs, Mainly trail rides and a blast down the sand bar would be its use. No MX, jumping or racing of any kind. A buddy found one near where he lives and we talked a little about maybe making a deal on it so I could get it if its not too far gone. We will have to see after the guy gets back with us on overall condition. Says it runs good and he wants 500 for it. Just wanted to know how it would work out for me if it is something that I can get my hands on.
-Will

Liquid-Darkness
02-10-2007, 11:27 AM
A few mods and there supose to be faster then the 350x. A pipe, fresh bore, aftermarket reeds, and there right up there with the waterpumpers. The 83-84 air style 250r's look and sound nicer then the first 250r's and are right under the water cooled 250r's speed wise.

MyMistress86R
02-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Derrick Adams had for for a while and I rode it quite a bit. The biggest impression it made on me was the torque this thing put out. It would lug around like a 4-stroke when it was down off the pipe but still rip like a classic 2-stroke when you got into the power. $500 is a good deal for one of these if it's in decent condition. The first thing that these need though, is a larger carb. That really wakes them up.

Dirtcrasher
02-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Check it out, 500$ isn't a bad price at all. Unless the cosmetics are junk, motor loose and it's in need of bearings everywhere.

SYKO
02-10-2007, 04:50 PM
almost faster than a 350x?? lol! that must have been one bad running R!!! lol, lomax I love my 83!! a couple of floriday boys can attest to how well it works in the trails and sand, mine may be a 300 but I know I would still be happy with a 250.

ATC-Eric
02-10-2007, 05:07 PM
My brother has an 83. It has a waterpumper carb, reeds, a dg pipe, and a couple of bores. That bike rocks! Lots of torque like stated above, very very fun bike!

It has a very smooth powerband, pulls consistantly all the way through. I say pick it up, condition depending of course.

Macs
02-10-2007, 05:36 PM
I really enjoy mine in the fields and down dirt roads. On the types of trails i got it is geared a little high. but i am sure if i re geared it it would be a bad sob

Lomax
02-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Alright thanks guys, we will see what happens

Chevy200s
02-12-2007, 01:21 PM
I love my 83 R, lots of torque and good top speed as well. The suspension works good for trail riding and the occasional pile of dirt thats supposed to be a jump:lol: A lot of people will tell you that they over heat too much, maybe its just my trike being different but I've never had that problem. Just remember to clean the fins if your out mudbogging all day but thats really all. Sounds like a good deal man, good luck with it!