PDA

View Full Version : cutting my own gaskets? (pics)

jagerlager
02-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Hello everybody! Its been damned cold up here!

Can any of you foresee a problem with cutting your own gaskets? I cut these today for the two clutch covers on my ytm 200k out of 1/32" material I bought at Napa for $6.00. they are pretty much exact copies of the ones removed.

Is there a problem with stiffness grades of gasket material and torque specifications?

Is there any prep work I will need to do to the surface (other than cleaning) or the gasket before I apply them?

I have used this stuff successfully on my old boat motor , but am uncertain of this application.

Thank you!

edog
02-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Dam those are good!!!!!!!!

kcop
02-07-2007, 08:15 PM
you should not have any problems. I have cut my own gaskets successfully many times. Usually if they fail it is not the materials falt, the person had done smething wrong.

IrvSLedman
02-07-2007, 08:17 PM
damn boy, those are some well cut gaskets.. how did you do it so well?? just a steady hand?

jagerlager
02-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Thank you!

I just do a lot of prep work to make sure the tracing is precise .. holes and whatnot, beetween the motor and the old gasket.
then Its just a sharp exacto knife and a little time. I enjoy it.

Im a fine art painter/printmaker, and a woodworker/carpenter for a living, so I guess Im used to tedious detail and the exersize of patience.

this trike is getting oil paintings on all the plastics. a wildlife/firearms/camo sort of collage. hot rod black frame and rims...

so... no probs eh? put em on cranck em down, good to go?

tyman
02-07-2007, 11:34 PM
whoa.. so its gonna be like a painting on wheels... a mona trika

Billy Golightly
02-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Those will definitely work. I keep a roll of that gasket paper around incase I need to make something in a pinch and silicone wont suffice (like a head or base gasket, for example heh)

thefox
02-07-2007, 11:47 PM
I use the same stuff and it works great. Just tighten down the cover like you would with the old gasket. I have tried other types of gasket paper too and have not run into problems due to the paper yet. The think cork stuff was harder to trace and cut though, I kept ripping it. Just make sure to get it traced correctly (looks like you do a great job for others out there). One thing I found out, a standard paper hole punch works very well for punching out the small bolt holes.

Enigma
02-07-2007, 11:49 PM
WOW you did a hell of a job cutting that gasket. And like what the others said it should work fine.

Im fixing the engine in my tecate and I found a complete engine gasket kit at a local shop and I traced all the gaskets, so I can make news ones myself if I have to do another engine overhaul.

ProCarbine2k1
02-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Awesome job... sure gives me some ideas for the next project...