PDA

View Full Version : I finally scored a 1986 ATC200X!!!!

Dirtcrasher
02-04-2007, 11:02 PM
I came across an add for a 1986 ATC200X, "must be sold by Sunday".

Anyhow, the motor runs great and sounds very smooth. Good plastic, nice metal tank and good tires and rims. The ATC looks to be mostly complete but I won't know until it's a bit warmer outside.

These are the things I found wrong with it -

A few parts are missing, both brakes will need rebuilding, swingarm skid mounts are broke and pivot bearing isn't sloppy but I can hear it and I'm sure it will be seized, kickstart is sloppy, decomp cable is missing (not sure why a 200CC motor needs it), rear shock is blown and the left fork leg is slightly bent.

For parts -

I will need an aluminum grab bar, aluminum handlebars, voltage regulator (I'm guessing thats why the headlight is different and blown), Looks like the 86X runs an 85 style 250R headlight??, left side motor cover or just the timing plug and chain cover and or a case saver if it had one, tailight, blue seat cover (marine vinyl 6$ a yard), better clutch lever and perch, decompression cable, rear shock, Rear caliper bracket (anyone got a picture?), Blue fork boots, fork seals, carburetor kit and whatever exhaust I can get for it Hopefully there is something just a hair quieter than a Cobra but still with the gains.

If you have any parts for sale, please PM me.

I'm guessing the 86 200X had a voltage regulator? And does anyone have a picture of the correct rear caliper stay? The brake line also seems wrong the way it loops around.....

Dammit!
02-04-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm pretty sure Aussieduner can hook you up with some proper shrouds.

And here is the obligatory "how much?" question. :D

Dirtcrasher
02-04-2007, 11:14 PM
I'll play the usual waiting/guessing game....At least this thread is not "worthless without pics", LOL!!

dizasterzrfun69
02-04-2007, 11:18 PM
thats a hondaline brake stay :lol: :lol: looks like ti wasnt a bad deal. how much?

brapp
02-04-2007, 11:55 PM
i ahve a complete exaust for a 87 200x i had picke dup recently. and i also ahve a oversized headipe with a 300ex muffler that bolts up fairly welland works good.

edog
02-04-2007, 11:58 PM
I'll play the usual waiting/guessing game....At least this thread is not "worthless without pics", LOL!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Score!

Resto or beater?

thefox
02-05-2007, 12:05 AM
I'll play the usual waiting/guessing game....At least this thread is not "worthless without pics", LOL!!

Well I bet you got a deal on it so I will put my guess at $200 (although it is probably worth double), after all if it was a sell by Sunday and you got it Sunday night you would be the one setting the price.

Will this be your new track bike? Time to give the SX a little rest?

Dirtcrasher
02-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Nah, I'm gonna try and do a nice restore job on this one. I love the look of the 86/87 X's - the frame and motor just look years ahead of the 85 style.

I would have loved to pay 200$ but someone else would have got there first if it was that cheap! He was asking 1200$ and I paid 700$. He was convinced it was in real good shape and I had a hard enought time getting it as cheap as I did.

As for the track, the beater 85 200X has taken position ahead of the SX, I feel bad because I love the SX but the weight difference on an motocross style track is huge.

Does anyone know what scoops are on this thing? And a picture of the rear caliper goodies would be much appreciated :D It is most certainly a front capliper.....

atctim
02-05-2007, 12:42 PM
here is a picture - hope it helps. Your rear break set-uplooks FUBAR'ed.

These machines are a ton of fun, and they do seem light years ahead of the 85 models. No offense, but I think you got ripped on the price - if all is bad as you say, you got yourself alot of money to be spending on that thing for a full restoration. Anyway, hope this pic helps. Cheers!

http://www.venustel.com/~tkeister/86-200x-c.jpg

Dammit!
02-05-2007, 12:59 PM
The shrouds are Maier 83-85 200x super scoops.

Dirtcrasher
02-05-2007, 01:13 PM
here is a picture - hope it helps. Your rear break set-uplooks FUBAR'ed.

These machines are a ton of fun, and they do seem light years ahead of the 85 models. No offense, but I think you got ripped on the price - if all is bad as you say, you got yourself alot of money to be spending on that thing for a full restoration. Anyway, hope this pic helps. Cheers!

Thing is I can't find an 86 200X around here for less than 1500$ to 2000$ and if I find parts are too much, I'll part it out. Lots of people looking for 86 parts so I know it will sell. I also have alot of parts I know will fit.

I have well over 2000$ into an 85 250SX so it's no biggie to me to spend another grand on this one.

Tim, if you have a chance, could you take a side shot of that rear caliper? Thanks

dizasterzrfun69
02-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Hey PM my old man, Erectordale, I know he has/had a couple brake stays.

Kevin

deathman53
02-05-2007, 02:30 PM
If you do part it out, let me know, I'll take frame and swingarm.

Dirtcrasher
02-05-2007, 02:41 PM
If you do part it out, let me know, I'll take frame and swingarm.

I hope I don't have to, but I will let you know.

My 85 200X cost me 200$ and stands me 800$ as it sits, but it isn't what I want although it is alot of fun.

The 86/87 model is what I want and unless I find a bunch of crap wrong with it, I'll keep it. It has a great solid foundation for a restore job.

Brake rebuilds, bars, levers, chain covers and grab bars are cheap. A shock can be made to work - I have a Blaster, Banshee and a Fox Podium shock I could try and get on there. I believe I can dump about 500$ into it and it will be in nice shape, so for about 1200$ I'll have what I want :w00t:

My restore is NOT your restore guys... It has to run great, be relatively tight, get up and go and be physically appealing - to me :lol: I do all my repairs myself including sandblasting, machine work and painting.

brrcuda
02-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Thing is I can't find an 86 200X around here for less than 1500$ to 2000$ and if I find parts are too much, I'll part it out. Lots of people looking for 86 parts so I know it will sell. I also have alot of parts I know will fit.

I have well over 2000$ into an 85 250SX so it's no biggie to me to spend another grand on this one.

Tim, if you have a chance, could you take a side shot of that rear caliper? Thanks

Amen - I agree, these bikes are just not seen that often up here in the NE region. Sometimes you have to take what you can get or travel half way across the US to get the model you want. I had an 86 200x when I was 16 and loved that thing. Hopefully you won't part it out.

atctim
02-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Dirtcrasher - please let it be known that in no way was I saying you should not restore. When I sit down and think about how much I put into trikes - it about makes me sick - LOL. The 86 / 87s are great all around bikes, and if that is what you are looking for, then indeed it is a pretty good base to fix it up for a rider. Just wnated to let you now I didn;t mean to discourage you if it came out that way.

BTW - I'll get you that picture when I get home from work. The keeper is a ring that goes around the carrier and has two ears that the caliper bolts to.

I have one - PM me a reasonable offer and it's yours.

edog
02-05-2007, 03:08 PM
My restore is NOT your restore guys... It has to run great, be relatively tight, get up and go and be physically appealing - to me I do all my repairs myself including sandblasting, machine work and painting.

:wondering :wondering :wondering

Little Love OR Lot of Love?

Dirtcrasher
02-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Dirtcrasher - please let it be known that in no way was I saying you should not restore. When I sit down and think about how much I put into trikes - it about makes me sick - LOL. The 86 / 87s are great all around bikes, and if that is what you are looking for, then indeed it is a pretty good base to fix it up for a rider. Just wnated to let you now I didn;t mean to discourage you if it came out that way.

BTW - I'll get you that picture when I get home from work. The keeper is a ring that goes around the carrier and has two ears that the caliper bolts to.

I have one - PM me a reasonable offer and it's yours.

Thanks bud, No sweat. I didn't take your post in a bad way at all, but it did get me thinking about how much this will cost me :beer

It's true that alot of us have "pipe dreams" Turning trash into treasure can cost a small fortune. I added it all up and wondered who else has 2500$ into an 87 ATC 250SX? Thats alot of coin for a sport trike. I guess I wanted to put all the best features on it. A 350X headlight, 350X carburetor, Renthal bars, 200X front end, 250R rims and tires, Cobra exhaust, High comp piston, Web cam, chrome moly valve springs, Banshee clutch lever and perch and a Banshee master cylinder. It is an awesome bulletproof machine but that was alot of monet I spent.

I also had an 85 250R which I thought would be my "dream trike". It was more of a nightmare than a dream, that thing scared the hell outta me!! I spent months rebuilding it and only found that every jump I had on my track needed another 18 wheeler of dirt just so I could land the thing without getting killed :rolleyes: I had 2200$ into that one and sold it for 2400$, my riding style just doesn't work with a 2 stroke. I did spend alot of hours finding parts for it that I'll never get back.

Quote Edog

Little Love OR Lot of Love?

I definately have alot of love but.... Some guys consider a restore to be perfect when only OEM parts are used. Until I'm rich, I can't see spending alot of money on fenders and gastanks that would prevent me from riding it the same way whether it's a beater or a cream puff. I ride all my machines and that includes dragging trees with them or taking the trash out with the trash can jammed on the foot peg, LOL

My love goes like this....

If I can find Maier blems for less money I'll buy em.
If I can cover the seat without wrinkles for 12$ in Blue marine vinyl, I'll live without the ATC logo because I'll just rip it anyhow.
If I can run Banshee levers and master cylinders in great shape I'll buy them. How many Banshees are out there? And that makes the prices cheap, alot cheaper than an OEM Honda Master cylinder.
I'll never retrofit anything that doesn't fit and look really good.
When I'm done it will be tight, and every single thread will get tapped and a dab of grease will go on the stainless steel bolt I put back in.
I won't all be Honda but it will be fast, functional and fun

Just a couple of weeks back I made adapters to run Banshee rims and tires on my older 200X. Made nice billet aluminum spacers/convertors in my machine shop and they let me run the free tires and rims I had.

That reminds me, I have a great Banshee rear brake setup complete that I saved when I parted the Shee. I'm sure I can make that puppy work on the 86 ATC200X :w00t:

edog
02-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Good save.

Waiting for progress pics.

Dirtcrasher
02-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Here is the new Fox shock (cheap). The Banshee rear brake set up (free). And the new Canonndale front master cylinder and rear master cylinder (25$ each)

It isn't Honda but it's still nice stuff!!

I'll call it the Budget Bulild Up :lol:

atctim
02-05-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm with you on that - I specifically searched E-bay for a banshee front master cyl. with lever (for my 84 250R), just because I know there are a ton of them out there- thus they are cheap. Works just as good a honda OEM one that I would have spend at least $100 on (if not $200 or $300). I still have the Yamaha lettering on it, but a little dremel action, and who'll know the difference.....

tyman
02-05-2007, 05:18 PM
is that fox shock going to be a direct fit? or will you make an adapter??? if its a direct fit then what exactly is that shock for?

the great gazoo
02-05-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm a little late here, but you scored big, my friend! Way to go. I bought an '86 back in june for 800 that didn't look near that nice, but ran(I had to sell it) like a scalded ape & handled like nothing I've ever owned(mostly SX's). I miss it, but it's in my riding loop at least, so i still get to ride it once in a while. Good luck, man:beer

200x350xtriz250
02-05-2007, 06:36 PM
looks like a nice start.:beer
I would like to know what shock you go with. you mentioned a blaster or banshee shock...if you could at least see if it'll fit and let us know I'd be grateful.

deathman53
02-05-2007, 06:48 PM
If you need a axle, a 83/84 250r axle will work and its alot easier to find, you will need all the 250r sprocket parts, axle lock nuts and a sprocket made(stock 83/84 is 42t), some say the 200x sprocket will work with some ovaling of holes. Also the 83/84r axle is +4 of the 200x axle. Its a nice way to get a cheap extended axle.

atctim
02-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Here are a couple more pics as promised. They don't really show what you are looking for too well though. The last of 3 is the part you need.

Dirtcrasher
02-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks bud,

I think the 200X runs the same rear caliper in 83-85 and 86/87, just the mounting is different. I believe the fronts are the same in all years too and will fit the rear but are not correct for the rear.

When I get a day above 10 degrees I'll look into shock and brake retro mounting.

edog
02-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Brakes are the Same.

erectordale
02-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Dirtcrasher I have a really nice swingarm if you want I have tons of 86 parts even a few axles left here

Dirtcrasher
02-06-2007, 08:13 PM
For now there are a few things I "need" the most. But I'll always buy a better quality part if it's a good deal.

Meat-BoX
02-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Thats not too bad for what he paid. I paid $700 for mine and put about $300 into it to get her going nice. It still needs all new Fenders and some of Aussieduner's Scoops. Plus buy Moshman's 86 200x seat cover. They do great work. Im gonna use it for my Daily Rider but its gonna look good. I dont feel bad about having $1500 into a nice Trike. Heres a pic of what I got for $700