PDA

View Full Version : My New Z, The Pics is in!

J.D.
04-21-2003, 11:45 PM
I picked her up Sunday. Ran out of gas Sunday. Bought me 4 quarts of Yamalube and a RatioRite cup today. Running great! Except...it has NO low end power. It's hard as hell for me to take off. I have to rev it really high, and let the clutch out SLOW to get 'er going, but as long as I'm in the powerband while shifting, she runs like a scalded jackrabbit! What would make no lowend power? Yamaha dealer told me I should do down on the main jet a little bit, it's at 470 (stock)right now and I live at an elevation of about 2,400 feet above sea. What do you guys think? Also I took the bowl off, and there is one tube, real small, that looks like the overflow tube except it's another....it goes right up into the top, I tried to blow air through it and I couldn't...could this cause my no low-end power?

It has a 12 tooth front sprocket, and I haven't bothered to count the rear sprocket. I raced a guy on the road, and he told me I only did 55 at max...I though Z's did close to 70!???

One last thing....seeing the pics, and knowing how she runs(as you can see she looks good, but not "great")...how much do you think I paid for her? I'll put up how much I paid tommorow night.

Oh yeah one more thing! Had my first wreck today!! Took a jump after I JUST shifted into second, went ok till I leaned to the right in mid air and messed up my landing...the whole time I was rolling I was like OMG I HOPE SHE'S GONNA BE OK!! Not even concerning myself what was gonna happen to me! LOL! (I came out ok. Good enough to roll her back over, start her up and keep on going! Back hurts a little, and have a few scrapes but nothing to complain over)

J.D.
04-21-2003, 11:49 PM
Last pic....

NOS_350X
04-22-2003, 12:28 AM
well your no bottom end problem is its just a 2 stroke thats how they are

YAMAHA_Jim
04-22-2003, 07:06 AM
being a 2 stoke has nothing to do with it.What mods have been done to the engine,bore,reeds,etc.gearing means alot too.Smaller tires on the rear will give you low end also 18's or 20's(looks like you need a new set anyhow)
Goodluck with your new Z.

lisnup65
04-22-2003, 08:58 AM
How does the machine idle? My old Z had a idle issue and no low end, but screamed when in the power band. It was a simple reed issue(broke).

TimSr
04-22-2003, 09:01 AM
Its hard to tell what no low end means, not knowing how much youve ridden two trokes, and what you are used to riding, but mine has alwasy delivered incredible amounts of low end for a two stroke (that i cant get from my R). The times that it has not, has been when it was in dire need of a top end job, and that would be my first concern with yours, since you just got it. If I were its doctor, Id order a compression check. If that checks out okay, a DG pipe offeres a little more low end than the stock one. I wouldnt monkey with leaning jets unless you are fouling plugs, and then only after your compression check is okay.

J.D.
04-22-2003, 09:44 AM
I haven't checked compression, but she takes a decent amount of force to kick over. I've ridden her about 5 hours of fairly hard riding and haven't fouled a single plug, starts up first time every time(unless she's cold).

As far as mods, I think it's stock. I really don't know what's been done to it. I know for sure it has stock exhaust+silencer though. Gearing I have a 12 tooth front, and I dunno about back(too lazy to count all those sprockets).

My experience with two strokes is this Z, and a 1986 Husqvarna 250 dirtbike. The dirtbike needed some serious work...It only allowed me to take off in 2nd gear because the second I let the clutch out in first, it would foul the plug.

When I say no low end power, I mean lower rpm power. Like for when I first want to take off, I have to rev it pretty high to get it to go. If I let the rpm's fall to low when riding, I have to pull the clutch real quick and bring her back to life.

lisnup, she doesn't idle worth CRAP. Just like my YTM200, you have to crack the throttle a little to make it idle.

BTW, I paid 360 dollars for it! Can't beat that, eh?

Andrew
04-22-2003, 10:56 AM
damn!,u got the deal of a lifetime! Beerchug

J.D.
04-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Hmmm....I just got back from my Morning ride, and I notice my IDLE SCREW is GONE, completely! Musta rattled off somewhere on the ride!! Is it safe to run without one, or does it HAVE to be there? Seems to be running fine without it.

ATCRYDER
04-22-2003, 01:47 PM
Awesome Deal-Awesome Machine.

I'm diggin the ElCamino in the background though. 8)

YAMAHA_Jim
04-22-2003, 06:08 PM
$360 Good deal... a lil bit of dirt threw the idle screw hole can be very expensive,,then again you could ride it and not get any dirt in there.

J.D.
04-22-2003, 08:16 PM
Oh, you like the El Camino rob? Runs like a DEMON!(considering it has no motor, lol)

yyz4208@aol.com
04-22-2003, 09:04 PM
NICE TRI Z
GOOD START TO A PROJECT

J.D.
04-23-2003, 12:01 PM
Hmm...it seems now that I'm using Yamalube and fresh gas, it's getting more powerful the more I run it. Low end is still pathetic, but it seems to be getting a tad better, but not alot. Is it possible the guy who I bought it from was using cheap gas+oil which was making it run crappy and weaker, but now that I'm using fresh gas+oil, it's running better? I know I'm not imaging the power increase, because when I first got it I couldn't make it "peel out" on my little gravel driveway, now I can make it peel out in 3rd!! This bike is gettting more fun as I go! I still haven't pulled the plug...mainly because I don't have a 20mm wrench, and I can't get a damn spark plug socket in there!!

Another thing...this thing is eating up quite a bit of fuel! I'm guessing I used 1/2 a tank in about 1 1/2-2 hours of riding...is that normal?

Billy Golightly
04-23-2003, 04:55 PM
Yes, high fuel consumption is pretty normal on pingers and most anything performance wise. If I'm really on the pipe with my 250R and always 3/4+ throttle I can run through a full tank in about an hour.