PDA

View Full Version : Cracked The Cases Now What!!!!

erikb45
02-02-2007, 07:18 PM
HEY BOYS,

I finally got the bottom end cases open. now what do i do- i checked for play on the connecting rod bearing and that is good. it needs to be flushed there are shavings everywhere they shouldnt be from the piston. i dont have a garage or a parts washer so i dont know how to flush the motor. should i just take it to the shop that will do the cylinder and let them check it clean it out adn reassemble the bottom end? or is there a way i can do it my self.

ordered all the stuff
complete gasket kit
75 over piston kit wiseco
head from yamahondaman ( which looks sick and amazing)
new ngk race plugs

have to get reeds yet.

i made it this far want to complete it the right way so it lasts, what else do i need any advice suggestions

thanx again

SWIGIN
02-02-2007, 07:37 PM
i use brake clean or carb cleaner

4cylinders
02-02-2007, 07:47 PM
hey, maybe someone from the board lives close enough to you to help you out. with all these members, there has to be somebody close. yeah, it needs to be flushed out good. don't want to ruin the new parts. when I have to work on stuff in the field, I have a small air compressor that I use. Then I blow it out with brake cleaner, and then air again. Be sure to spray it with wd40 when you're done, so it doesn't rust up.

3bogger
02-02-2007, 08:28 PM
you could get a tub and some mineral spirits, then just pour it threw it and use a brush where you can. then hit it with brake clean and air as much as you can.

MTS
02-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Make sure to Check your main bearings, If theres lots of metal filings, i would replace them along with the seals, There cheap insurance you wont blow your top end out....and more than likely due for them on a 20 yr old bike, Throw the Case's in the sink and scrub the crap outa them with some good dish soap, Blow dry, Best Clean your gona get, Just remember Steel/cast parts Rust and quick when exposed to the air, Throw a coat of oil on any you wash with water, Pressure washer works Great too!

erikb45
02-02-2007, 09:20 PM
ok first i dont know if she is going to let me wash the motor in the sink!!
ill have to do it when she goes to work (ha)

second the crank bearings are what ya talkin about right? theres no filings in the tranny part just in the crank area.

do i need special tools to change the crank bearings get the crank out?

and yes i have the manual

thanks keep it coming; you guys have taken me throught this whole thing so far:beer

MTS
02-02-2007, 09:26 PM
a Small propane Torch Works Best for installing/removing crank bearings, Have to heat the surface around the bearing race, should tap out, Just be Carful if you get the aluminum too hot it will crack, and then your really Screwed....Or you can take them to a shop and have them do it ( i would recomend you do),

erikb45
02-02-2007, 09:48 PM
you might be right ill check pricing tommorrow. i would feel better if a shop put it back tpgether for me and checked it out.

erikb45
02-03-2007, 06:19 PM
helle people, called the shop today he said $60 for the bore job which seems like a good price.

he said to rebuild the bottom end would be $250 plus parts! that seems a lttle steep, what do you guys think? not much to rebuild just needs to be flushed change the crank bearings

mike from long island
02-03-2007, 06:38 PM
most shops here are $95 an hour so $250 to reasseble your motor doesnt sound to bad of a price. will they make any guarentee?

erikb45
02-03-2007, 07:05 PM
mike i only talked to chris "diggin racing" in ronkonkama for a couple minutes. when the piston kit comes in im gonna go over there with all the parts and see what i can work out with him. hopefully i can work out a deal.

mike from long island
02-03-2007, 07:09 PM
not familar with them. good luck with it. i am just waiting for a few things and then i am going to get started on my 86 Z.

erikb45
02-03-2007, 07:35 PM
im dieng to get this thing running again spring is coming fast!!!!

BigRedBlair
02-03-2007, 08:16 PM
I here ya I'm in the same boat. taking the case with the crack and crank to the shop to have them put the crank in the other case. The right side case is still good so I lucked out there if I can get the stuck bolt out

money spent so far
flywheel puller $18
Gasket set $65 CDN
New cases $40
Right side for sale.

erikb45
02-03-2007, 09:07 PM
did you get a price from the shop bigred. ithink its a little high but the assurance of experiance doing it might be worth it

sblt500r
02-03-2007, 11:01 PM
personally i think $250 is alot. you may think you are having a knowledgable person working on your engine, but most of the time thats not what you get. ive seen some of the work from the local dealer, its not very good. they over bored my lt500 clyinder, reused old main bearings, installed a sleeve to lose, dropped and bent a crank, must have had 80 lbs of torque on a sparkplug on my buddies 250ex!

i've been rebuilding whole engines for awhile now, and have been charging $200 to rebuild the whole engine plus parts. bore and crank rebuilding are extra, as i don't do those, but they are $40 a piece to do.

i will be rebuilding chris200x's triz engine. when ever he ships it to me! lol jk

Rustytinhorn
02-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Get a load of this...
My local dealer will rebuild my top end (new piston, rings, valves, guides, bore job) on my Atc110 for $300 including labor. Got a quote on replacing my crank bearings in my '85 250r....$585-$650 for LABOR ONLY. $65/hour for labor and they said it would take between 9 and 10 hours to replace the bearing. UGH!!

erikb45
02-04-2007, 10:01 AM
hey rusty lets stop and think...

my first time taking a 2 stroke apart didnt take nearly 3 hours combined time. i did have to stop to get special tools and parts. i think you shouldget another estimate 9 hours for someone experianced is to much to replace bearings and theyll charge you for parts (gaskets. etc)

sblt500r- im going to try and flush it myself with alot of break cleaner if i get the shavings out thten maybe i wont send it in. ive seen rebuilt bottom ends and full rebuilt motors for sale from 300-400. i might just pic up one of these asi already have $200 + in partsand bore job w/o doing bottom end work.

how much is shipping to you from long island ny?

sblt500r
02-04-2007, 03:29 PM
the only problem with those rebuilt motors on ebay, is you realy don't know what your getting. i've heard alot of problems with some ebay rebuilt engines. sure there are good deals though. i can sell a rebuilt lt250r engine for $1000. new rod, piston, bore, all engine bearings and gaskets, clutch, waterpump

it should cost no more that $40 to ship it ups to me. if you can do the top end, you could keep that and instal it yourself.

why is the bottom end full of shavings anyways? what blew, the piston?

erikb45
02-04-2007, 03:39 PM
yeah man i blew the piston. i aquired this trike tuned it up a little (it was sittin for a long time) it ran ok but makin a little noise and ran in spurts.

blew it in 1 hour of riding it at tower city pa

heres pics of the piston on the third page
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=63192

im cleaning everything right now with brakleen and scraping the gaskets, got some stainless replacement bolts. i think im gonna do it myself

BigRedBlair
02-05-2007, 12:55 PM
did you get a price from the shop bigred. ithink its a little high but the assurance of experiance doing it might be worth it

couple of coffees and a dime bag:beer