PDA

View Full Version : 86 200x rearend ???'s

BigReds Forever
02-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Ok, i know there are a few other posts about this, but i gotta get my info strait before i go spending money on parts. Heres my question. I am building a 86 200x. For this trike, i have the swing arm and shock, which i plan on using. For the axle/carrier I want to use parts from an 83 250r as i have a carier, axle, all brake parts, hubs, and sproket. Suposedly, this is a doable swap but i have a few questions.

First of all, it all has to be spun around do to the left side drive

The carrier seams to fit very well in the swing arm

I mocked this up, and the sproket apears very close to the swing arm. This may be do to a few things.
- the bearings in the carrier are bad, it may be pulling the axle to far in.
- the sproket is larger (42 teeth for the R verses 38 for the X)
Im just wondering, if everything should line up, i dont have a motor in yet so i have no way of knowing if its lined up with the motor.

As long as the sproket issue is up, what sizes of sproket is availibal for the R axle (bolt pattern is different for the x, so i cant use that sproket) I was thinking if i could find a 40 tooth, and im running 20" tires and a stock front sproket, my gearing should be near stock?

What do i do with the breaks? The R had the long bar to the front of the swinger to hold the caliper in place, while the X uses just the break stay. Is it posibal to use the R caliper as it will be working backwards (parking break wouldnt work for sure). Or should i find all X break parts? if i do this, will the X break stay fit on the R carrier, the caliper line up with the disk, and also what disk do i use.

Last but not least, the R hubs are the same as 400ex....hubs, but wider, right? how much over stock will the R axle with ex hubs put me?

Thanks for all your help guys, quick replies would be nice as im looking at a few parts ending tomarrow on ebay.:TrikesOwn

deathman53
02-01-2007, 10:07 PM
I have a 83/84 250r axle on my 86 200x. I used all 200x brake parts, hubs, and carrier. I got a sidewinder sprocket(36t). I don't know it if would work using 250r stuff as the drive is on the opposite side. I would get 86/87 200x stuff, and use only the axle, sprocket hardware, custom sprocket, and axle lcoknuts from the 250r. I know it works this way.

BigReds Forever
02-02-2007, 01:41 AM
thanks for the help, ill look into that sproket, i didnt figure the breaks would work.

deathman53
02-02-2007, 01:55 AM
I tried to look for a cheaper sprocket, but I only could find a $120 sidewinder sprocket, before this I had a sprocket specilists 36t, that lasted about 3 weeks, even that sprocket was about $80. Don't waste your time with a Sprocket Specilists sprocket, they are junk. The stock 42t on the 250r was way too big, I wouldn't be able to put my skid plate on and with 18" tires, it woud nearly rup the ground. I am using 14/36 on my bike.

BigReds Forever
02-02-2007, 01:57 AM
so the sprokets for the R wont work? (they dont line up? or there just to big?)

deathman53
02-02-2007, 02:10 AM
the stock 42t sprocket is way too big