PDA

View Full Version : 350X Project Questions

350Kris
01-31-2007, 02:46 PM
I bought some of those black fork boots on Ebay for my 350X project a while back. I'm having second thoughts about using them now. Few questions:

Are the OEM fork boots still available?
What Honda OEM dirtbike fork boots will fit the 350X (they come in black and are good Honda OEM quality)???

Second subject...fork caps. Is it a good idea just to get rid of the valve type fork caps and replace with a sealed cap? I am under the impression that you never put any pressure in there anyway. What do you think? Any others that will fit?

Third subject. I bought a RAD Tapered carrier with the exposed grease zerk. Looks to be good quality, but I haven't "field tested" it yet. Is the RAD tapered as good as it appears? Any better ones out there? I also have the RAD "no torque" lock-nut.

Fourth, I have new crate motor in this bike, K&N, stock header, Supertrapp muffler. What carb? OEM? Mikuni 36mm? I don't want to do a lot of mods to fit it on, but I want a good performing carb.

Lastly (for now), is it Jet Hot that does the best ceramic coating? Someone on here suggested a different company, but I can't remember who or the company.

I'm sure I'll have more questions. For those of you who remember, I've been working on this project for years....the Army, a divorce, moving, and many other things have postponed it. Time to finish up!

Kris

kb200x
01-31-2007, 03:17 PM
I bought some of those black fork boots on Ebay for my 350X project a while back. I'm having second thoughts about using them now. Few questions:

Are the OEM fork boots still available?
What Honda OEM dirtbike fork boots will fit the 350X (they come in black and are good Honda OEM quality)???

Second subject...fork caps. Is it a good idea just to get rid of the valve type fork caps and replace with a sealed cap? I am under the impression that you never put any pressure in there anyway. What do you think? Any others that will fit?

Third subject. I bought a RAD Tapered carrier with the exposed grease zerk. Looks to be good quality, but I haven't "field tested" it yet. Is the RAD tapered as good as it appears? Any better ones out there? I also have the RAD "no torque" lock-nut.

Fourth, I have new crate motor in this bike, K&N, stock header, Supertrapp muffler. What carb? OEM? Mikuni 36mm? I don't want to do a lot of mods to fit it on, but I want a good performing carb.

Lastly (for now), is it Jet Hot that does the best ceramic coating? Someone on here suggested a different company, but I can't remember who or the company.

I'm sure I'll have more questions. For those of you who remember, I've been working on this project for years....the Army, a divorce, moving, and many other things have postponed it. Time to finish up!

Kris

The Oem fork boots are still avavailable. Ebay is the cheapest place I know to get them.

I have a Rad carrier I don't have the tappered one mine is the double row. As far as I know the tappered is the best you can get. You may want to do a search about the carrier seems like you need to put a small spacer in between the carrier and sprocket to keep the carrier from rubbing. It seems like everyone was just using a small snap ring inbetween the carrier and sprocket? Do a search Im sure its been talked about.

Some people have used a 400ex carb. But if your not going to do alot to the engine I think the stock would be the way to go.

Sounds like you are building a nice x

How about some pics?

:beer

350Kris
01-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the info. I attached a pic from wayyyy back, but you can see some of the basics. I'll reply with more info. on what I have and what I'm planning later.

Kris

350Kris
01-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Anyone else?

edog
01-31-2007, 07:14 PM
Jet Hot coat the whole Exhuast system.

350Kris
01-31-2007, 10:00 PM
What about ceramic coating?

Billy Golightly
01-31-2007, 10:14 PM
Good to see you back on the forum Kris.

Theres several different times of ceramic coating...you can get good durable ones and then there are others that don't hold up long. The Jet Hot coatings seem to be one of the best. You need the caps with the airvalve. True, that under normal conditions you don't have any air pressure in them but they are made to bleed air out of the forks that build up from working them. As for the carb, a lot of guys seem to have good luck using the stock 400ex carb. A Keihen FCR type would be even better but probably hard to make fit and much more expensive.

200xman
02-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Jet Hot coating works awsome. I bought a headpipe off Ebay for my 350X that was coated and it holds up awsome. I rode all day through Paragon with a lot of slow speed/hot crawling with the pipe full of mud. I got home and the mud washed right off and the pipe still looks like the day I put it on.

bigred1981
02-01-2007, 11:16 AM
The RAD tapered carrier is what I run, I've always been under the impression that the tapered carrier is the best to get because of the side loads that the tapered bearing can withstand, versus a regular double bearing carrier. The RAD tapered carrier cost a lot of $$ too though eh? but worth it for sure IMO

350Kris
02-02-2007, 12:00 AM
Billy, it's good to be back. This time I won't disappear again. I found this site in 2000 or so....been on and off ever since. You've really done a good job with it.

As always, some very good responses and help. I'll go with the Jet Hot. Should I go direct to Jet-Hot.com or are there a variety of dealers?

SWIGIN
02-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Get the inside of the header Coated too.

jet hot does that automatically