PDA

View Full Version : Cryogenically Freezing Transmission Gears

Yamahauler
01-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Who has heard of this? It is supposed to change some of the properties of the metal that make it much harder and more wear resistant. You can do it to steel, stainless, aluminum, and a bunch of other metals.

Has anyone done this? Would it be worth doing this to a trike transmission?

I think it would be pretty cool to try something new like this on trike.

Gumby
01-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Theres a company that does this for about any application including gears . Heres there site if you wanted to read about it. http://www.cryoplus.com/

Yamahauler
01-30-2007, 11:04 PM
cool site, have you ever had anything done?

Tri-ZNate
01-30-2007, 11:06 PM
there is an ancient thread on here about this exact thing.

Gumby
01-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Ive never had anything done . But looking at there price list I might consider it . It doesnt appear to cost to much

SYKO
01-30-2007, 11:12 PM
sweet they also do it by the pound!! and pistons to!!hmmm

edog
01-30-2007, 11:32 PM
I am having my 200x Transmission done buy them.

Gears are the best to do.They don't loose there roundness.

Aka_am
01-30-2007, 11:36 PM
Hey that's like 15 minutes from me. From what I read on thier site it's pretty kick ass

Rennat_2006
01-30-2007, 11:39 PM
It makes the metal harder, Does it also make it more brittle though?

Could be a negative in this situation though.

edog
01-30-2007, 11:41 PM
No it does not.

edog
01-31-2007, 12:02 AM
How it Works

The surface energy of martensite is higher than the surface energy of austenite, because of the way the atoms are arranged in the two configurations. In adhesive wear situations, the martensite is more difficult to tear out of the surface than is austenite. This means that the probability of forming a wear particle in a steel in which the austenite has been transformed to martensite is less than for the steel containing some retained austenite. Therefore the adhesive wear coefficient K is decreased and consequently the wear rate is decreased.

In abrasive wear situations, both the martensite formation and the fine carbide formation work together to reduce wear. The additional fine carbide particles help support the martensite matrix to make it more difficult to dig out lumps of the material. When a hard asperity or foreign particle is squeezed onto the surface, the carbides resist plowing by the particle, and wear is reduced.

The treated material maintains its original size and shape throughout the Pressurized Thermo Cool Process. Although a material is stronger at lower temperatures, following treatment, it shows no change in yield or tensile strength. The treated material does become less brittle but without losing hardness. What does change most significantly and considerably is an increase in the material's toughness, stability and wear resistance.

Pressurized Thermo Cool is not a substitute for heat treatment. It is rather an extension of the heating/quenching/tempering cycle and continues the transformation whereby greater amounts of retained austenite are decomposed; martensite is increased and the material attains more uniform hardness.

In contrast to various other surface treatments, the Pressurized Thermo Cool treatment is a one-time only process and affects the material preserving it through and through.

BigReds Forever
01-31-2007, 12:27 AM
I know of a guy who had a piston for a 3.5hp briggs frozen. Not sure his reasoning for it, but i know with all the other mods he did, he got about 7hp out of it.

nd4speed
01-31-2007, 11:23 PM
Cryo is no joke. Pistons, cylinders, bores (sleeves), rings and so on are all done on performance motors. Theres a place in Illinios I can't remember. But Perfect Bore in the UK is probably the best, although beyond the scope of the average joe's needs. They are owned by Dover Diversified which owns JE, Wiseco, Vertex, and couple more. Seems they don't mention cryo on their site.

http://www.perfectbore.com/

jason85atc250r
01-31-2007, 11:52 PM
it does make a big difference having this done.

i got bought front axle shafts for my 82 toyota truck that was done and they lasted alot longer. i broke 3 front stock ones in one summer due to detriot locker in the front. they have a cv joint instead of u joints. the cv joint explodes under load when turned sharp while rock crawling.

the treated one lasted 2 years before i snapped the stub shaft off.

Yamahauler
02-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Good information, thanks. What makes some chryo companies better than others. I found a place 2 hours from here called Polar-Tech Chryogenics.

Polar-Tech opened its doors in 1998 as the only cryogenics industrial service company in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Northern Ontario. Cryogenics is the process of freezing metal parts below -300 degrees F, and then slowly warming them back up to room temperature. This can dramatically improve the durability and performance of tools and equipment. The firm has sharply increased the service life of drills, punch and die tools, saw blades and many other components. They have also treated drum cymbals, fishingline, golf balls, disposable razors and even women's nylons with postive results.

I think I will try them out. I dont have any nylons i could take though...damn:crazy: