PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Honda ATC 200 Rear Axel Stuck

larryhorne
01-30-2007, 12:08 AM
OK I cannot get the rear axle out. Got drum off but axle will not come out. I want to replace the bearins and seals durng restoration.......HELP:crazy:

Also, I have the tip from a tool steel punch stuck in the end of the axle where the castle nut goes. Tried drilling but only broke its. Any idea on removal?

ATC4ever!
03-17-2007, 03:10 AM
Having the same problem, Restoring a 1981 Honda ATC 200 wanted to start with the chain cover but can't get the inside cover off, just like your pic's look!!!! How did you get the axle off ???? Also I can't even get the brake cover off of mine; no bolts holding the drum cover on like yours so I should just be able to get a screwdriver a pry it off......WRONG!!!!

trikes4life
03-17-2007, 12:20 PM
if the bearings are siezed on the axle. u might have disasemble the berings. DO NOT DAMAGE THE TREADS that holds the hub on its a pain for the rest of *Edited**Edited* life.

Russell 350X
03-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Do you have a vise? Put the carrier in the vice verticaly and try pounding it out. But make sure you use a piece of wood so you do not damage the threads on the end. That has worked for me in the past.

Dirtcrasher
03-18-2007, 11:24 AM
The best investment I ever made was a vertical press. They are as cheap as 150$. Mine was 200$ and it's 20 tons. With that press and heat I can get just about anything apart.

kilabeez0
03-18-2007, 10:45 PM
air compressor and air hammer

84honda200s
03-18-2007, 10:49 PM
i put the nut on the edge of the threads and used a sledge hammer. it came out and the threads were perfect.

rally4x4racer
07-31-2007, 02:15 AM
larry, did you ever get this fixed?

I fought with axle nuts for a few days and lost. I came back a month later and stuck the whole carrier/axle in a vice - locking onto the outside nut and cranking on the top one....

- it can be frustrating, be patient and persistent and you will get your results.

atc4everbob
08-01-2007, 05:36 PM
I threaded the castle nut well back onto the axle threads, stood up a hardwood block, and literally beat the crap out of mine to get it to free up. It probably took 10-12 FULL swings with an 8 lb sledge. With the nut threaded well onto the axle, the worst damage you'll do is possibly damage the nut a bit, but who cares, the axle will be free. Stay with it, eventually it will have to give way. You just can't be afraid to swing that sledge!

Dirtcrasher
08-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Putting the nut on helps, BUT..... You will still end up screwing up the threads. Not everyone has oxy/acet torches but anyone can buy MAPP gas. It burns hotter than propane and if you patiently heat the seized are it will decrease the amount of ruined parts immensely.

I heat everything that has never been apart before or got allot of water in it and it basically can be removed with a 14oz ball peen hammer.

Drawbacks? Fire, goodbye zinc coating (usually gone at this point anyhow) and every seal and oring melts. But, none of the important parts get ruined.