PDA

View Full Version : PJ 36 on an '85 250R question

RichinMO
04-21-2003, 07:23 PM
I finally got around to putting this carb on my pretty much stock (K&N filter) '85 250R today. I had called Carb Parts and they said I should use a 158 main and a 50 pilot, air screw one turn out. Got it all together and it started ok, turned the choke off and it died.

Now the question I have is does the air/fuel mixture screw affect anything other than the idle. I have it a 1/4 turn out and it idles ok, idles even better with it in all the way. I know the pilot jet is too small but it would suck to have to change it. Will it hurt anything with the screw set like it is?

Also along the same lines, when I rev it up and it is idleing back down, it doesn't come down smooth, it kinda steps down for lack of a better phrase. Can anyone smell what I'm stepping in?

250rAL
04-21-2003, 07:43 PM
I think you should go up on your pilot first. I've got more mods than you and I use a 62 pilot. From my experience, the air screw usually goes best at around 2 turns out. The idle doesn't come back down smoothly because it's too lean.

skippy
04-21-2003, 10:43 PM
i agree w the 2 screws idea.. but the 158 main sounds abit much for a stocker.. maybe 154? who knows.. if it runs well w it.. leave it.. what exhaust you have?

plkmonster2
04-21-2003, 11:27 PM
it is probably the pilot. start it on choke, then rev it up a bit, then turn the choke off. it might run rough, but that tells you that your pilot is too small.

RichinMO
04-21-2003, 11:56 PM
Shoot, didn't want to have to take that thing off again. Thanks guys.

KASEY
04-22-2003, 01:46 AM
its a two stroke get use to messing with it!!! i have a small screw driver inside my crossbar pad and use quite regularly ,,, tuning is a important part of the life of a two stroke engine ,,,, in two years of riding i have never fouled a plug and my trikes don't grow moss on them either,,,,