PDA

View Full Version : chevy57harley79 Flat Tracker

Mr. Clean
01-29-2007, 11:44 AM
I spent the past two weeks prepping for our first Flat Track race in Ocala. Here is the build.

First was front forks. Took out the top spring. One fork the cap refused to come off, so I grabbed one from my parts pile and it already had the top spring removed. Not the best way, but had little time. The plan is now to modify a set for full travel but much lower.

I got a kill switch with my parts pile so next was to wire in the switch. I happened to get an ignition switch that the on/off did not work so I used it.

Last Friday I ordered some 59/10/10 Hoosiers RD12 and doulgas red labels. Well the red labels have yet to show up, so back to the parts pile for some blue labels. Friday before the race picked up the mounted Hoosiers.

Next was the rear suspension and with the help of skyolincoln used an adjustable dog bone.

Number plate up front, courtesy of skyo. Painted on #57.

I did not want to use stock bars so back to the parts pile and get me some Renthal bars. Had to buy grips and got some removable moose grips, black.

I basically took my stock 250r and modified it so we could have our own class. I did not want to use my stock plastics... so you guessed it... back to the parts pile. Got a beat up set of rear fenders, average tank, decent shrouds and perfect maier front fender. Well I just happen to have some Dodge Red and some bull dog primer. Saturday prior to the race I painted all the plastics. 8:00 p.m. paint still a little wet my buddy shows up with my fender numbers, sweet, I picked up the manufacturers stickers and had him put those on. Only thing I am lacking was chest protector and rear number plate. Sunday morning driving to the track, I stopped at a Honda dealer and got the chest protector. I get to the track and Billy and Alan show me my rear number plate.....an antifreeze bottle:w00t: I had the vinyl numbers so I just put them on my chest protector and ditched the antifreeze bottle.

I was nervous as hell and flat tracking is not easy. Here are some pics.

Mr. Clean
01-29-2007, 11:46 AM
more pics:

Mr. Clean
01-29-2007, 11:48 AM
more pictures

SYKO
01-29-2007, 11:51 AM
it deffinitly was the cleanest out there!! woot!!

Billy Golightly
01-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Looks sweet man! I'm interested in seeing how that paint holds up cause if it does for any length of time I think I'll be doing that alot in the future. I still really like those grips that bolt onto the handlebars also, that is really cool. You need to sell a few of those extra parts you've got and pick up an extended axle, that'll help out a ton on the track! It was great having you out there though and having a 3wheeler class at Thunderbowl speedway for probably the first time ever. The comments from other people alone make it worth the trouble of showing up and racing doesnt it? :)

phil53
01-29-2007, 11:55 AM
sweet! did the track let you use that front tire?

Mr. Clean
01-29-2007, 11:55 AM
it deffinitly was the cleanest out there!! woot!!

Got the clean part down, now to get lower and faster.

Billy Golightly
01-29-2007, 12:00 PM
sweet! did the track let you use that front tire?

Yup, no problem. Its the rear tires they are really concerned about not being knobbies.

Mr. Clean
01-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Looks sweet man! I'm interested in seeing how that paint holds up cause if it does for any length of time I think I'll be doing that alot in the future. I still really like those grips that bolt onto the handlebars also, that is really cool. You need to sell a few of those extra parts you've got and pick up an extended axle, that'll help out a ton on the track! It was great having you out there though and having a 3wheeler class at Thunderbowl speedway for probably the first time ever. The comments from other people alone make it worth the trouble of showing up and racing doesnt it? :)

All told it took me about 2 hours to prep, prime, paint and clear those parts. Feb 17 you will see how they are holding up. Everyone so far has been real positive even on ATVflorida.

Phil53, they had no problem with that front tire although I doubt it helped me any. I am looking to replace as soon as I get my 10 inch front rim and tire.

phil53
01-29-2007, 12:05 PM
I was wondering about the tire, good to know. My 85 is sitting in pieces scattered thru the house & garage. was planning on a flat-tracker a few years back. I have most of the pieces, just need a place to assemble it. My dad has one more car to repair and get it out of here. he keeps asking me when I am going to put it together. I always tell him when he gets rid of all his junk! I still have a 11" front wheel though.

200x Basket
01-29-2007, 12:58 PM
looks good!!

Skid Marks
01-30-2007, 12:34 AM
I’ll take you on with My veeee Dub trike. Drop it like izzz hot. Veee Dub engineering in da house. Un-pimp dat slow Honda. Watch dis German do da lefts and lap you on da back and front sides. Let me un-pimp da Honda.

longbedGTs
01-30-2007, 07:40 AM
Any action shots? Trike looks sick bro! :twisted:

SYKO
01-30-2007, 09:05 AM
any action shots?? where you been jason??? lol, there all over the flat track thread in local riding!!!

DixiePlowboy
01-30-2007, 09:45 AM
I love what ya'll are doing down there man. Reminds me of about '84 when a local track first started up. I heard about it and went into the garage, looked at my first wheeler(an '84 Big Red), and started pulling racks/headlight/tow hitch/battery/etc...of of it...LOL!

I raced it, and later a cammed YTM 200E and an extended YTM 225(even motocrossed that one) before I got my first R. There's something about that bug that seems to take hold of a person hard.

I'm slowly putting a Tecate together and will hopefully meet ya'll in May.

You boys have a head start on me....don't make lapping me look too easy!

-Plow

Mr. Clean
01-30-2007, 10:33 AM
cool plow,

Take some pics of the tecate while you build it. Everybody loves pics!!!:pics: :pics:

syko is also putting together a teacte, that would be cool to have each manufacturer represented.

DixiePlowboy
01-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Good thinking! Anyone want to put their Z in the winner's circle? C'mon Yammie guys, this could be the start of something great.

When tax returns come in I'll have a camera. For now......just imagine a big pile of assorted junk. I'm getting my chassis right first before I give Corey Sprock a call for the engine work.

SYKO
01-30-2007, 11:16 AM
I’ll take you on with My veeee Dub trike. Drop it like izzz hot. Veee Dub engineering in da house. Un-pimp dat slow Honda. Watch dis German do da lefts and lap you on da back and front sides. Let me un-pimp da Honda.

dude like wtf is this all about??? what kind of homo, comes and joins a site and on the first posts puts up something like that?? sorry mike to rip your thread, but if this punk has something to show, then he needs to BRING IT!!!:mad:

Mr. Clean
01-30-2007, 11:50 AM
dude like wtf is this all about??? what kind of homo, comes and joins a site and on the first posts puts up something like that?? sorry mike to rip your thread, but if this punk has something to show, then he needs to BRING IT!!!:mad:

No worries alan, it is my buddy from Gainesville messing with me. I told him about our race and he wanted to see some pics. I did not know he even posted until I saw your response. :lol:

SYKO
01-30-2007, 11:55 AM
oh lol my bad!!!! ooopss!!

syko currently has foot inserted in mouth.

Mr. Clean
01-30-2007, 12:13 PM
You had no way of knowing, it is good to know someone has got your back and that I appreciate.

Kintore
01-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Yah no doubt! Kick some ass alan! :w00t: :lol:

oldsking86
01-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Gosh darn youngsters these days lol
Hey Mike does your friend ride at all?

Mr. Clean
01-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Gosh darn youngsters these days lol
Hey Mike does your friend ride at all?

No, he is in the business school at UF. I wish he did I would have him join us in Ocala for our group rides.

fla 2-stroke
01-30-2007, 01:58 PM
mike,the bike looks great.you did a very good job of getting it ready.I am sure it was neat being the only trikes racing.looks like everyone had a good time.

Mr. Clean
01-30-2007, 02:22 PM
mike,the bike looks great.you did a very good job of getting it ready.I am sure it was neat being the only trikes racing.looks like everyone had a good time.

Thanks Curtis,

The only problem is if I were to go to ONF, I would have to change everything back. Not really hard to do though, and all I do is work on these things anyway. It was a good time, we as a group were definitely welcomed by the rest of the racers.