PDA

View Full Version : 350x engine rebuilders

Louis Mielke
01-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Are there any know issues with the cylinder studs on a 350x stretching badly? I'm kind frustrated with a motor I'm building. I put my top end back together and torqued the head nuts but one of the nuts didn't seem to draw down against the head. In fact it seemed the the nut bottomed on the stud and literally twisted the stud some. Now not permanently, it sprung back to its starting position but I'm kinda frustrated as what to do.

I guys I could switch to a open headed nut instead of the acorn cap nuts and pt another washer under it but I don't know if that's a good idea.

Anyone have a similar problem? I really hope the studs OK. I really don't wanna tear the head back off and get a new head gasket. blah.

Dirtcrasher
01-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Sounds like the stud backed out of the engine case. If you can get an open nut on it and it torques down, I'd try it. Worse case is you'll end up tearing into it again and needing gaskets.

sandpuppi101
01-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Had one back out on me before Louis,it was on the frt exhaust side,Never had em' swell or anything.... I am guessing the stud backed off just enough when you dissassembled it with the acorn nut on ,where you did'nt notice..

dufrain
01-28-2007, 12:36 PM
You could get a hard washer and put under the acorn nut.

Bryan Raffa
01-28-2007, 03:15 PM
hey louis try heating the block around the stud and lock two open nuts together and try turning it back down. Or throw a washer in there would be the easy way to go