PDA

View Full Version : ytm 200 worn primary clutch ? (pictures)

jagerlager
01-26-2007, 04:10 PM
:pics: ytm 200k

hopefully you can see well enough from this picture.
Is this clutch worn too far (grooves in the clutch housing) these are maybe 1/32"-1/16" deep.
is this normal??
sure don't want to have to buy a new one at $150.00 or so.

traxxasx
01-26-2007, 04:41 PM
it looks fine check *Edited**Edited* clutch plates ans see if there smooth

jagerlager
01-27-2007, 05:21 PM
I was worried about the grooves on the clutch housing, the clymer manual says pretty much if a fingernail can catch the groves to replace the housing.

the friction plates dont look to bad, how smooth should they be? just so as not to wear unevenly on the housing?

also the clymer manual shows to measure for wear the teeth of the friction plate, the yamaha manual shows to measure the space on the friction plate between the teeth and the body.... makes no sense.

should I try to clean up the housing and the plates with some fine sandpaper?

jagerlager
01-27-2007, 05:50 PM
some better pictures.

the thickness of the over all friction material is about a little over 1mm, the tooth is about 1/2mm or so

the grooves are about 1/32" deep

traxxasx
01-27-2007, 08:25 PM
You should be alright, now what is the problem your having?

jagerlager
01-28-2007, 01:12 PM
The trike slips a little at take off , takes a bit to engage.. not to bad, but it does it even when the adjustment is set all the way tight counter clockwise.
I was going to replace the secondary clutch since most people say the primary almost never goes bad (except the one way, which seems fine) , but since I had it apart I thought I'd check it all, and havent a clue what Im looking for.
dont know what they look like new.

Howdy
01-28-2007, 02:34 PM
It is wore pretty good. You can always look for a good / better used one to install. heck, I may even have one in good shape.
Howdy

jagerlager
01-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks guys.. Howdy, send me a message if you locate one in good shape. I'd be interested.

do you think my problem could be primary clutch , secondary or both?

jagerlager
01-29-2007, 12:11 AM
I did some more looking into it , and I see the housing is warped. not oval that I can tell, but wobbling about 1/32".

the trike had no problem slowing down hill in first gear, the one way bearing seems fine.

the friction plates are a little glossy at the tooth.

the trike doesnt slip in higher gears.

WIkid500
01-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Run it hard for a month. I had a problem with mine for a while, I just keep it adjusted. It seems it has been getting better. now it will bog down before it slips.

traxxasx
01-29-2007, 01:40 AM
I did some more looking into it , and I see the housing is warped. not oval that I can tell, but wobbling about 1/32".

the trike had no problem slowing down hill in first gear, the one way bearing seems fine.

the friction plates are a little glossy at the tooth.

the trike doesnt slip in higher gears.

If it doesent slip in other gears then that makes me belive that which ever gear it slips in that clutch plates is no good, check into them.

uhlhazard
01-29-2007, 01:56 AM
I am having the exact same issues with the exact same bike. Got new ones and now the bike runs fine although we haven't confirmed that the old ones were bad and just needed to be driven a bit (as stated above) Those turds are expensive! Hey just hang in there and play with it, doing the same with mine and getting positive results across the board.

jagerlager
01-29-2007, 10:50 PM
removed the secondary clutch for inspection tonight.

The friction plates measure 2.8-3.0 mm, I think yamaha specs are to replace if less than 2.8mm (what would the measurements of a new one be?)

The springs measure 36.5 MM I think yamaha specs are if less than 34?

so apparently they are fine?

the housing shows a little wear.

traxxasx
01-29-2007, 11:06 PM
removed the secondary clutch for inspection tonight.

The friction plates measure 2.8-3.0 mm, I think yamaha specs are to replace if less than 2.8mm (what would the measurements of a new one be?)

The springs measure 36.5 MM I think yamaha specs are if less than 34?

so apparently they are fine?

the housing shows a little wear.

Hmm if it has grooves they look fine though. Maybe your friction plates are worn, i heard somwhere you can put them on concrete and turn them like back in forth to score them up so they catch, not sure though.

uhlhazard
01-30-2007, 12:06 AM
you can put them on concrete and turn them like back in forth to score them up so they catch

Are you that guy that sold me that used car that kept breaking down?

JKJKJK :lol:

That is actually a pretty decent idea, if mine is worn I'll try that and report back. It will be a while though : (

On a better note, I just traded my 88 yfm225 moto4 for a running Ford f250 diesel supercab with a 6.9 liter in it. Pretty swizzle deal.

jagerlager
01-31-2007, 12:54 AM
took a picture of the rotor holder I made for the clutches.
worked like a charm