PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Tri-Z motor upgrades

GoodKarma
01-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Okay, polishing is getting near done, and time to start putting things together!

First off, how do I get one of these aluminum water pump impellers? Hope that is the right word! I have heard and discussed this before, but never been able to complete the deal, like price, shipping, where to send money, and all that other good stuff. Are these really hard to come by?

Second, does anyone have some port/polish recommendations? I am going with an '85 YZ cylinder on top of my '85 1/2 bottom end. I want to send the cylinder out to get ported and honed in the next week or two. I have worked with PR Racing out of Ohio, and they made my '83 250R a wicked beast. But, does anyone have experience with someone that they think is the ***WORD FILTERS*** with these motors?

I still have many parts to purchase, finish some sanding and polishing, and then I HOPE that this project can start taking some assembly!:beer

tecat-z
01-26-2007, 12:48 AM
If you are using the yz cylinder then i assume you are also using the yz head as well. Do you have all of the necessary components to make the powervalve function properly? ie: crank gear, governor, and case and cover bearings, and actuater arm. I am powervalving my 86z by using a 83 k model cylinder. Straight intake bell and tri-z head is a direct bolt on. Can't wait to get this one going. You engine should run very strong. Good luck

ATC-Eric
01-26-2007, 02:56 AM
Shot a PM to Yamahondaman for the water impeller.

He makes all sorts of bling for these bikes. I just got one of his "kits" of bling, and all I have to say is wow!

I got all sorts of polished aluminum stuff to top the bike off. Hit him up!!!!!!! :beer

Dammit!
01-26-2007, 04:11 AM
Yep, Yamahondaman makes the impellers along with a bunch of other cool stuff (billet thermostat housing replacements, inline coolers, frame plugs, etc).

I know PR Racing does awesome work with Hondas. Never heard anything about their work with the Yammies though.

GoodKarma
01-26-2007, 10:01 AM
If you are using the yz cylinder then i assume you are also using the yz head as well. Do you have all of the necessary components to make the powervalve function properly? ie: crank gear, governor, and case and cover bearings, and actuater arm. I am powervalving my 86z by using a 83 k model cylinder. Straight intake bell and tri-z head is a direct bolt on. Can't wait to get this one going. You engine should run very strong. Good luck

I "think" I have everything to match up. I purchased an '85 YZ motor that had a bad clutch, and for some reason, the actual powervalve itself was broken. I have found where to get a new one, although a little steep in price. Other than that, all the stuff is there, and I also found a new actuator cover (that reminds me, I have to polish that too!).:w00t:

I have talked to PR Racing, and they always leave me feeling that they know what they are doing, so I guess if nobody has other recommendations, then that is where the cylinder and head will go. The porter, Lou, has been doing this for MANY years, so I am sure he has some experience with these older motors. I was just looking to see if anyone wanted to recommend from their experiences.:beer

I'll try again to contact Yamahondaman. He must be a busy fella, cause I seem to be missing the chance to get things going on a purchase.:wondering

Yamahondaman
01-26-2007, 11:10 AM
i have about (6) Impellers left ... i hope to have PLENTY MORE at TF07..
Ronnie

GoodKarma
01-26-2007, 11:18 AM
How can I get one of these impellers? How much, where to send money, and all that good stuff?

tecat-z
01-26-2007, 05:33 PM
There are many popular mods that involve the stock tri-z cylinder that have been performed on these boards. However, very little on the yz topends, and with varying degrees of success iv'e read. But like anything else you need a crafty person behind the tool to successfully reach your goals and not do permanent damage while degrading performance. 03orangeshee here on the boards has a very fast powervalved Z that i have seen at TF and its impressive. It's the only one i have ever seen. I have almost all of the parts in place to change mine over. I'm not sure of his exact use of components though. I'm using all 83. Maybe he can elaborate if he reads this.

Sick200x
01-26-2007, 06:14 PM
I've got a '85 1/2 Tri-Z that I've been thinking about hopping up. I bought a used '85 cylinder with a cracked sleeve that I was going to have resleeved and ported, untill I saw the post about using a YZ cylinder?? Can anyone give me some details/specs? I wan't this thing to scream, at least faster than a stock '86 250R.

GoodKarma
01-26-2007, 06:55 PM
There are many popular mods that involve the stock tri-z cylinder that have been performed on these boards. However, very little on the yz topends, and with varying degrees of success iv'e read. But like anything else you need a crafty person behind the tool to successfully reach your goals and not do permanent damage while degrading performance. 03orangeshee here on the boards has a very fast powervalved Z that i have seen at TF and its impressive. It's the only one i have ever seen. I have almost all of the parts in place to change mine over. I'm not sure of his exact use of components though. I'm using all 83. Maybe he can elaborate if he reads this.

I look forward to what Orangeshee might have to share about his experiences! I am still looking for opinions on the porting work to be done on the YZ cylinder. I am also trying to get more information so that I can purchase one of these impellers.

Yamahondaman
01-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Nathan's "83" YZ Top End is FAST !!! he has a "Funny" Looking Billet Intake on it

Dammit!
01-26-2007, 07:38 PM
I look forward to what Orangeshee might have to share about his experiences! I am still looking for opinions on the porting work to be done on the YZ cylinder. I am also trying to get more information so that I can purchase one of these impellers.

Just send a PM to Ronnie (Yamahondaman). He's apparently not paying much attention in here right this second. :lol: