PDA

View Full Version : New Here..please help. Rear Axle Questions for 125M

Big10
04-21-2003, 09:20 AM
Hey guys..im new to the 3wheelin world. Have a couple questions for ya. I searched for this, but didnt come up with an answer. I'm trying to remove/replace rear carrier bearings on a 1984 125M. I dont think this axle has ever been off. Im down to this...sprocket on one side is visable...brake drum on the other side is visable...Which side comes off? I cant tell what holds the either side on..(probably rust). Should the brake drum slide off since I have removed the two locking nuts? Wish i had to pictures..maybe i can get some this week. thanks for your help.

dc
04-21-2003, 10:13 AM
The brake drum should come off but it will be stuck there. What I did was put a wood block on the end of the axle on the right side and pound the axle out with a hammer.

Big10
04-21-2003, 11:35 AM
I figure it is rusted on pretty badly. I did try the "wood and BFH" thing, but did not succeed at moving it the least bit. Could I try to heat it and then use puller of some sort?

Cokera
04-21-2003, 11:41 AM
You could but be careful. I would soak it overnight in lube 1st and I mean soak it.

ATCnut
04-21-2003, 11:46 PM
I would keep spraying it with your favorite lube every day for a week. It can take a while for the lube to soak all the way through. Then try the wood and BFH again. Also use a bigger BFM, one that requres two people, one to hold the wood and one to hit.

RichinMO
04-22-2003, 12:10 AM
Also make sure the rear brakes are loosened up so the shoes aren't binding on the drum.

dc
04-22-2003, 09:27 AM
Yep, it will require two people. One to hold the wood block and one to tap out the axle with a sledge hammer. Every brake drum is like this.