PDA

View Full Version : 185s question

robc68fb
01-23-2007, 12:22 AM
Hi,
I have an 83' 185s that I bought off a freind for $400 a while back. The trike is in good shape over all, it just sat for a few years in his folks basement. I had to do some tinkering to get it going & also it needed extensive brake work including removing the rusted on rear drum & replacing it. I then did something kind of stupid, I thought I ought to mess with the screw on the side that adjusts the tension for the shifter. It still shifts, but not as good as it did before I adjusted it & now the screw is stuck. The slot on the screw is about mangled now & I was wondering if anybody knew of an easy fix for the problem? Any ideas would be apprecialted!

bigreddaddy
01-23-2007, 12:44 AM
Well I'm not exactly sure what screw you are talking about, but if you want to get it out you can get a small drill bit and drill it, then tap in a TORX bit and screw it right out.
Hope this helps.

robc68fb
01-26-2007, 02:21 AM
Well, It's like a piece of threaded rod that comes out of the side of the transmission about 3/8" or so & it has (had) a straight slot cut in the end of it for a flat screwdriver to fit. There is also a nut on it to keep it in place after it is adjusted. That's a good Idea about drilling & tapping it. I'll probably give that a try come spring. Thanks!

robc68fb
01-26-2007, 02:38 AM
Looking at another thread, I guess it's called the clutch adjustment shaft. Seems like I'm not the only one with shifting problems. :eek:

danteross77
01-26-2007, 03:19 AM
I had a z 50 with simular problems when I got it. Actually was a pretty easy fix, turns out some one adjusted too much and bent this little trianglualr piece(Not sure of what it is called) Long story short took the side cover of so I could loosen the slotted screw, replace the trianglualr piece with another on I had off of a atc 70 parts motor, put it back together adjusted according to my manual, and I was back in business. Kinda glad it was so easy, I got the bike for $75 because it wouldn't shift gears at all.