PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225

Gunnar
01-22-2007, 11:05 PM
I know this guy up here and he is realy hard up for cash right now. He has a Yamaha 225 shaft drive trike that he said I could have for 400. It was just rebuilt, plastics are fair (crack on the front and left rear fenders), and tires have 80% tread.

Now for the questions: How does it compare to a big red (honestly now, no brand bashing) I already have 2 big reds. What should I look for, weak spots on frame etc. And any other info I should know.

Now for a final thought: Damn I wish it was an X

Louis Mielke
01-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Its more of a sport utility with more emphasis on sport. if you like your big red but wish it was a little peppier then the DX isn't bad at all. If you like how the big reds can be a freakin tractor around the yard then the DX is a little more than you're looking for. Don't get me wrong the DX will do your work for you, its just not geared like a tractor.

Think of the DX as the 250sx
and the Yamaha YTM200e as the hardtail bigred.

Gunnar
01-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Both of my big reds are the 250es models. I have no idea on how they compare to a 250sx, Ive never ridden one. But I do know they are faster than a trx 200sx. not sure why maybe because my brother in law is "festivly plump". he was driving the sx. Not that many trikes around here to get the feel for other ones. I have seen some old hardtail hondas.

Oh yah! by the way I just had an atc 70 given to me. it runs but keeps fouling plugs.

The boy is 7 months old now! Do you think its too early to get him started riding? The wife sais it is but I have my doubts. Who needs to crawl when you have an opposable(moveable) thumb.

Louis Mielke
01-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Well my personal opinion is that kids need to learn to ride a bicycle before they can get on anything motorized but that's just me. I know there's lotsa guys on here who have their kids on bikes at a young age.

Gunnar
01-23-2007, 12:00 AM
I was only kidding, he is only 7mo. old. He should probably have at least semi developed motor skills before going near anything motorized.:wondering

troy
01-23-2007, 12:06 AM
i don't know if this will help any or not, but i have a Yamaha 200ERN and my aunt has a 250 honda big red and mine seem to have more power and torque over hers for some odd reason:wondering unless hers has some problems that i haven't found yet?

thefox
01-23-2007, 12:21 AM
I think Louis said it well; the DX is basically a sportier version of the Big Red's you are used to.

As for things to look for,
I would check the front shocks, pus on the front end to make sure they still compress and rebound and are not bent.
Check the electric starter, the starter motor tends to be a weak spot and may need to be rebuilt.
Clean rear end gear oil is always helpful for keeping the rear end working.

All in all they are good machines and if it runs well and looks ok then it is worth the $400, you just have to decide if it would fit your style of riding.

Gunnar
01-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the input, I may have a new addition after all.