PDA

View Full Version : t3 r. shock...raptor or 300ex?

scooterroo
01-22-2007, 10:25 PM
ok guys, whats your take on this. i have heard rave reviews about the raptor rear shock, my question is, 1. how easy is it to bolt up? 2. what mods are needed and which year shock is the best? 3. will the piggy back work? now, i have also heard thru the boards here about using the honda 300ex rear shock as well. if so, who has one and how do yo like it? how easy was it to mount up, what mods are needed to make it fit? i looking for all options here. i want to off the stocker i have, its an 84 bounce special.

jsimonh
01-22-2007, 11:10 PM
I put a Raptor shock on mine, big difference over stock. I did mess up and bought the only year to have a "crooked" piggyback. The resivoir is to one side rather than straight back. With it being like that I couldn't use the stock airbox, which wasn't a big problem as I wanted to run a filter off the carb anyway. If you buy the ones with the piggyback straight back you mount them upside down, and I believe by doing that it lets you keep the airbox in place. Here is a pic of mine, not the best, but it doesn't look bad.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/jsimonh/Picture132164.jpg

tecat-z
01-23-2007, 12:09 AM
T3 lopes and i both run 300ex shocks on out t3s. All years work but use 01 and up if possible, they have a more desirable spring wind. Tight at top for small bump absorption and wide winding at bottom for for maximum resistance. Not to mention these shocks, like all have a tendancy for the bump stop to rot and these cant be replaced on these models since the bottom eye doesn't screw off. And buy finding a new unit it is obviously fresher. Theres a guy on ebay who sells them for 70-80 bucks all the time and they are sometimes new take offs. All you have to do it run it straight up, and on the pivot mount that attaches to the shock, drill that out to the same inside dia as the lower shock mount. Use the oem lower 300ex shock bolt on the top of the tecate and it will clear the airbox tunnel as the arm travels down on compression stroke. These shocks have large shafts and steel bodies which makes them very durable for the long haul. No hoses or rezzies to deal with, making fitment and airbox use questionable at times. My bike performs very well with this unit on it. I would recommend this mod to any first gen t3 owner. T3 lopes is going to post a pic of his bike with it. I don't have one handy. :beer

T3 LOPES
01-23-2007, 12:23 AM
T3 lopes and i both run 300ex shocks on out t3s. All years work but use 01 and up if possible, they have a more desirable spring wind. Tight at top for small bump absorption and wide winding at bottom for for maximum resistance. Not to mention these shocks, like all have a tendancy for the bump stop to rot and these cant be replaced on these models since the bottom eye doesn't screw off. And buy finding a new unit it is obviously fresher. Theres a guy on ebay who sells them for 70-80 bucks all the time and they are sometimes new take offs. All you have to do it run it straight up, and on the pivot mount that attaches to the shock, drill that out to the same inside dia as the lower shock mount. Use the oem lower 300ex shock bolt on the top of the tecate and it will clear the airbox tunnel as the arm travels down on compression stroke. These shocks have large shafts and steel bodies which makes them very durable for the long haul. No hoses or rezzies to deal with, making fitment and airbox use questionable at times. My bike performs very well with this unit on it. I would recommend this mod to any first gen t3 owner. T3 lopes is going to post a pic of his bike with it. I don't have one handy. :beer
This is a pic of my 300ex shock. I am running a 250r coil. It seems to work well with my set up. Once I extend it I may have to switch over to the 300ex coil , no big deal. I have felt a t3 with the raptor shock, it was a bit stiff. I'm still runninig stock air box.

Meat-BoX
01-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Im running an 01 Raptor shock. Its not dialed in perfect but its much better than stock. I had to drill out the top mount on the frame to fit the bolt. I didnt take the hose off of my stock shock and use it as I should have. Im going to take it the the local suspension guru and have him set it all up for me and attach the longer hose also. Right now its bunjied to the swinger:naughty: It works fine though. I guess you can take you pick of what you want to use. I dont know about the 300ex shock but the Raptor shock can be adjusted pretty nice so you can dial it in for your weight and how you ride.:w00t:

dizasterzrfun69
01-23-2007, 06:12 PM
This is a pic of my 300ex shock. I am running a 250r coil. It seems to work well with my set up. Once I extend it I may have to switch over to the 300ex coil , no big deal. I have felt a t3 with the raptor shock, it was a bit stiff. I'm still runninig stock air box.

Thats awesome, you gotta use HONDA parts to make your kawasaki what you want it to be :lol:

Tecate250
01-23-2007, 06:19 PM
You can run any shock as long as you modify your lower shock mount. I am running a trx 250r shock on my t3. But my lower mount needs some upgrading.

T3 LOPES
01-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Thats awesome, you gotta use HONDA parts to make your kawasaki what you want it to be :lol:
Well what ever works. I also have a little 400z, KX 250, KX500 added in to the trike. But like I said ,what ever works . :w00t: :w00t:

hadar
01-23-2007, 07:15 PM
I have not tried th ex shock but in defence of the raptor, I love mine. Whatever you choose, it will be a wonderful improvement over stock. I think this emoticon guy: :Bounce represents 1st gen tecate riders with stock rear shocks.

tecat-z
01-23-2007, 07:45 PM
There is no modification of the lower shock mount at all when using a 300ex shock. It goes in like the original. And hell yeah, Honda specked SHOWA to manufacture the shock on the 300 so they built a lot of quality and durability into it. Don't know about you, but i will use whatever it takes to improve my trike with newer parts that work great and are readily availiable. That's the beauty of this hobby. Use your brain, and research, and problems can always be overcome.:idea:

BigGreenMachine
01-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Ok! What ever shock you feel would be better scoot.

Now, how about thumb throttles for the TECATE? What fits??

Lopes, what Z400 and KX500 stuff have you got on that T3?

tecat-z
01-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Z400 throttle and cable work perfect. Did this a while back. You need the angled throttle tube out of the carb and some clearance work in the throttle box so you have full throttle. I have many newer mods.

BigGreenMachine
01-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Great! Please PM me some of those mods if you would.

TimSr
01-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Ive no expereince with these shocks on a Kaw, but on a Triz. Both shocks are the same length. The Raptor shock has more travel, and is superior performer to the 300EX shock, but the Honda shock will probably last you 5 times longer. You might look at a Works shock for a 300EX.

250rulzes
04-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Just picked this custom rear dual rate up from Janssen Motorsports. The people there are really professional and only charged me $40.00 to re-valve it. Problem is that I don't know if I should put it on the Tecate 250 or 500 project? Stay tuned...

Preddy05
04-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Anyone know of a rear shock that will fit the 86 t3?