PDA

View Full Version : 110 Problems

Rennat_2006
01-19-2007, 01:02 AM
Alright i have had alot of problems with my 110 lately.

I rebuilt the carb and put a inline fuel filter in each line coming off of the tank. These are the screen types.

Ever since this thing just doesnt want to start, I rebuilt the starter and it is already garbage and i have only rode it maybe 5 minutes because of this! The most i can get out of it is a sputter. Once you get it running it will start easier but sometimes you have to turn the choke on to get it to restart warm? This isnt the first time ive been into the carb so im pretty sure everything is setup correctly with it. The other times ive got it running after putting it back together took atleast 15 minutes to get it to start but tonight i couldnt get it going at all and went and bought a new plug and starting fluid. After probably 15 minutes fighting it with starting fluid i finally had it going but whenever you put it in gear it would bog and die, then when you would try to restart it you wouldnt get anything, turn the choke on and it would sputter or start up then turn it off and right when you would put it in gear and give it throttle it would bog and die. The mixture screw is where it should be and i at one time had the idle set decent.

The motor is due for a rebuild(burns oil) but i couldnt see it causing the problems im having.

Thing is really pissing me off lately because we have had snow on the ground the last two days but i havent been able to get this thing to run and the snow is melting fast!

Im wondering if the fuel filters are supposed to go in a certain way or something? Maybe i have them backwards?

Vealmonkey
01-19-2007, 01:28 AM
Fuel filter generally do have a direction and some are even marker with arrows. The other thing you could be having problems with, is try starting it without the gas cap. If the vent on the gas cap is getting rusty, it won't let the fuel be sucked out of the tank right if that makes any sense. Check for the arrows and try starting without the gas cap. Start with the easy and free things first.

SWIGIN
01-19-2007, 11:27 AM
i know my 2 110s are a pain in the butt to start if they have bin sitting awhile. plus you say yours smokes witch means the rings are shot and that does make any bike harder to start. the reason it will start easier after it has bin running is that makes the ring gap less.

if it needs rebuilt id just rebuild it and start off fresh

bigreddaddy
01-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Try switching the fuel lines around on the petcock to make sure you have correct gas flow.
Also double check your spark with the plug against the motor while trying to start it.

Rennat_2006
01-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Fuel filter generally do have a direction and some are even marker with arrows. The other thing you could be having problems with, is try starting it without the gas cap. If the vent on the gas cap is getting rusty, it won't let the fuel be sucked out of the tank right if that makes any sense. Check for the arrows and try starting without the gas cap. Start with the easy and free things first.

Yeah that is what i figured, Im going to check into it more tommorow. I've tried it with and without the gas cap to no difference.

i know my 2 110s are a pain in the butt to start if they have bin sitting awhile. plus you say yours smokes witch means the rings are shot and that does make any bike harder to start. the reason it will start easier after it has bin running is that makes the ring gap less.

if it needs rebuilt id just rebuild it and start off fresh

This one never used to be hard to start at all! Not to far in the distant past this would start up on like the second or third pull when cold after sitting for who knows how many days. I know that it needing a rebuild will make it somewhat harder but not this bad, this is terrible and still start and runs crappy when it is warm. I will rebuild it but just have to come up with the funding first and i dont want to throw the money into it if it is just going to be a PITA still.

Try switching the fuel lines around on the petcock to make sure you have correct gas flow.
Also double check your spark with the plug against the motor while trying to start it.

I have looked into this also, it doesnt make a difference whether it is on reserve or regular or even with the gas turned off because it still wont start. lol Spark is good, believe me ive felt it myself.

bigreddaddy
01-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Yeah but did you actually switch the lines to check, not just turn the handle on the petcock?
On my 110 I had a hell of a time getting it to stay running. It would run for a couple of seconds and die. It was driving me nuts.
I switched the lines because that about the one thing I haven't tried. And that was the problem.
Try it man, it might work!

ALSO: Mine kept fouling the plug. I would just clean it up and re-use it. After I switched the lines it was running rough and was very hard to start.
I put a plug in from a PARTS 110 I had, and it fired right up and still runs good.
So the plug I was cleaning was just too far gone. Make sure you have a fresh plug.

Rennat_2006
01-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Yeah but did you actually switch the lines to check, not just turn the handle on the petcock?
On my 110 I had a hell of a time getting it to stay running. It would run for a couple of seconds and die. It was driving me nuts.
I switched the lines because that about the one thing I haven't tried. And that was the problem.
Try it man, it might work!

ALSO: Mine kept fouling the plug. I would just clean it up and re-use it. After I switched the lines it was running rough and was very hard to start.
I put a plug in from a PARTS 110 I had, and it fired right up and still runs good.
So the plug I was cleaning was just too far gone. Make sure you have a fresh plug.

I havent switched the lines but it has a full tank of fuel so it shouldnt matter. Im willing to try it tommorow anyways though. Another thing is the filter may be clogged or partly clogged, because i did have some stuff break loose inside of my tank and i got out what i could but some may still be in there. The whole reason why i am running these filters is because i accidentally destroyed the one inside of the petcock when i was rebuilding the carb.

Im always open for suggestions :D

I put a brand new plug in it when i went and got starting fluid. What are the gaps supposed to be at on these again?

rugabugadouglas
01-20-2007, 12:30 AM
mabey your timing chain is getting stretched that sound like my 110 when the timing was off is that cdi?

bigreddaddy
01-20-2007, 12:38 AM
Have you checked/cleaned your points?

Rennat_2006
01-20-2007, 12:42 AM
It is CDI

Chain may be getting stretched for all that i know,
How can i check the timing?

bigreddaddy
01-20-2007, 01:00 AM
Well I guess I'm an idiot on ignitions. I thought CDI still had points. The atc70 engine I just bought is a 1985 model, which is supposed to be CDI I thought. But the seller told me he put a new stator and points on it. Is it just the 70cc model, or am I just totally confused?

Rennat_2006
01-20-2007, 01:04 AM
I dont know about the 70's.