PDA

View Full Version : another one of those yamaha questions

troy
01-18-2007, 09:37 PM
I know there's a few people who have the same bike as i have. 200ERN. once in a while when i'm going at a steady speed about 20 to 30 km Hour i hear this weird rattling sound from the engine. What the heck could it be? Some one told me that it's some thing to do with the electric start and the part is only 3 dollers? any ideas what he's talking about. like i said it only when i stay at a stead speed, normal between those speeds.

edog
01-18-2007, 09:39 PM
I beleve it is the auto clutch.

troy
01-18-2007, 09:43 PM
lol...where the heck did he get 3 doller part out of that then...LOL!:wondering ..any thing with the words "auto clutch isn't cheap"

Erics350x
01-18-2007, 10:25 PM
piston slap?

troy
01-18-2007, 10:36 PM
piston slap?

i like this answer the best, because i'v notice she's burning a bit of oil lately

edog
01-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Then is there smoke coming out of the muffler?

troy
01-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Then is there smoke coming out of the muffler.

yes sir there is, blackish colour, and the valve settings are dead on (i already checked):)

troy
01-18-2007, 10:41 PM
And i forgot to say the valve settings are dead on:) because i just change the cam and rocker arms to get rid of the ticking noise in the head

edog
01-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Rings must be gone.

troy
01-18-2007, 10:43 PM
that was the first thing on my parts list was a set of new rings, second on the list new gaskets (top end that is):)

edog
01-18-2007, 10:44 PM
What kind of money do you have to spend on this top end?

troy
01-18-2007, 10:49 PM
not to much, the dealer here is giving me the gasket and rings for $120 taxes included. i have had the top end off before because of head problems. But what is bring most of this top end rebuild back is the fact she's leaking oil out of the gasket down on the engine, the one between the engine and cylinder wall. And it's making a mess out of the bike and not very nice one the enviroment when going though water.

troy
01-18-2007, 10:55 PM
I forgot to say, i won't be skimping either on parts. if it's some thing i need i'll save and buy.. i don't like doing thing half ***:)

edog
01-18-2007, 10:57 PM
I forgot to say, i won't be skimping either on parts. if it's some thing i need i'll save and buy.. i don't like doing thing half ***:)

I'll second that:w00t:

troy
01-18-2007, 11:00 PM
lol....i forgot one thing to, it's again going to the electric start. I have a fully charge 750CCA car battery on my bike...ya it gets that cold here..lol...but for some reason it will not turn over fast enough for the engine to catch...HOW EVER. if i pull it over with the pull start, perfect it starts...any ideas?

edog
01-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Starter on the way out maybe?

Do you have a decompression lever?

troy
01-18-2007, 11:07 PM
yes, yes i do, it's how i found out that my exhaust valve setting came undone one day on the trails, it was like no valve was there when i lifted up and down on it, lots of free play in it.

thats some thing else to when i pull it over it has enough compression to tear my fingures off,

thefox
01-18-2007, 11:23 PM
I am not sure what the sound is. Have you tried listening to your engine? Put a piece of tube up to your ear and put the other end against the case. Move it around till you hear the sound. Kind of a shot in the dark but you may be able to narrow down where it is coming from more accurately that way.

As for the starter motor they are notorious for wearing out. You may just need new brushes, pull it apart and see but be careful with it. Also when re-attaching the cable make sure not to over tighten the nut that holds it on.

$120 for rings and gaskets? I would get the Yamaha rings and aftermarket gasket kit. I don't know how much that would be in Canada but Yamaha rings here are about $30, and another $20-$30 for a top end gasket kit.

troy
01-18-2007, 11:30 PM
I am not sure what the sound is. Have you tried listening to your engine? Put a piece of tube up to your ear and put the other end against the case. Move it around till you hear the sound. Kind of a shot in the dark but you may be able to narrow down where it is coming from more accurately that way.

As for the starter motor they are notorious for wearing out. You may just need new brushes, pull it apart and see but be careful with it. Also when re-attaching the cable make sure not to over tighten the nut that holds it on.

$120 for rings and gaskets? I would get the Yamaha rings and aftermarket gasket kit. I don't know how much that would be in Canada but Yamaha rings here are about $30, and another $20-$30 for a top end gasket kit.

Thanks, as for the noise i'm about 95 percent sure it coming from up by the starter, if there was a way i could pull the start off and run it with out it that would be great. but it would make one heck of a mess of oil...

code-blue
01-18-2007, 11:38 PM
lol....i forgot one thing to, it's again going to the electric start. I have a fully charge 750CCA car battery on my bike...ya it gets that cold here..lol...but for some reason it will not turn over fast enough for the engine to catch...HOW EVER. if i pull it over with the pull start, perfect it starts...any ideas?

I had the same problem with my 85' DRN225. My starter was bad. It would not turn the motor over fast enough to start it. I bought a starter off ebay, start's great now. A new starter should solve your problem. Good luck