PDA

View Full Version : painting radiators on my R

dizasterzrfun69
01-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Hey has anyone painted their radiators? I need to paint some of mine but im not sure about which paint to use. Engine enamel? regular spray paint? exhaust paint? any ideas? :confused:

Mr. Clean
01-18-2007, 10:46 AM
I painted the radiator in my 57 chevy (the original one) with base/clear polyurethane and never had a problem. I dont see an issue with engine enamel or exhaust paint. I bet you could even use the high temp barbecue paint.

monstertruckr81
01-18-2007, 12:58 PM
i agree high temp paint

SYKO
01-18-2007, 01:23 PM
be carefull with paint, there is a correct paint for radiators, paint also helps hold some of the heat in, and when you have multipal paint jobs on te fins it can decrease the coolin capacity, what I would sugest is blast them, and then get radiator paint, wich napa should carry or an auto paint supply store should be able to get ahold off, it comes in black and aluminum, this paint lets the heat transfer through it easier than regular paint, High temp paint is made to resist heat so it will keep the heat in, wich is something you dont want. You may never have a problem with it, but like many other folks here, can you afford to HAVE a problem with it?? do it right once, and never have to do it again.

Mr. Clean
01-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Good point Alan, I forgot about radiator paint.

dizasterzrfun69
01-19-2007, 02:41 AM
i had no idea they made actual radiator paint, I guess i just assumed they didnt make anything like it. I'll have to check into it. ;)

edog
01-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Keep them unpainted.The will work more efficiently.

SYKO
01-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Idealy what edog said is the truth, but the copper/aluminum parts are supceptable to corrosion if left bare, the new racing type aluminum are bare, but the parts are pre poilished before they are made, but even them eventually will start to have corrosion.

dizasterzrfun69
01-19-2007, 10:33 AM
well they are for my 85 R resto so i just want them to look better. My old man has a huge tub full of radiators so im sure i have some in good shape, they are all ugly though and need painted/refinished. I dont think they are available new either. I would buy some other kind of radiators but there is no reason to other than for looks.

edog
01-19-2007, 10:35 AM
I believe there is a spray you can apply to the radiator to get the corrosion off. Rinse with water after.

Ever think of buying new ones from www.denniskirk.com?

Here is a cleaner that will work.http://www.hydroclean.com/data_sheets/ht-438.htm

dizasterzrfun69
01-19-2007, 10:47 AM
well i just searched dennis kirk and didnt come back with anything for the 85 atc250r

dizasterzrfun69
01-19-2007, 10:51 AM
and that cleaner comes in 5 gallon and 55 gallon drums so i probablly cant afford it or itd be cheaper to buy new radiators. I wouldnt know though because the only thing i can find for sale on that website is classic airplanes :lol:

SYKO
01-19-2007, 12:22 PM
look in your local phone book most major towns/cities have a radiator rebuild place, I know near me there is a place, they can clean and refinish your rad for you

BigReds Forever
01-19-2007, 02:23 PM
... what I would sugest is blast them...

I dont know that i would try to "blast" a radiator, I would think the fins would get pulverized. I would try a chem. stripper for auto paint, Then use radiator paint. I think eastwood carries it in small spray cans. They should have the stripper also.

BigReds Forever
01-19-2007, 02:29 PM
here are a few links..

stripper-
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=12460&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=379&iSubCat=380&iProductID=12460

paint-
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=125&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=390&iSubCat=391&iProductID=125

pour the stripper on, use a small fine wire brush to clean between fins, wash it off and paint!

madmanwithmouse
01-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I have powerwashed one before but you must be VERY Careful not to close and stay perfectly straight with the fins. if you do bend a few you can use a tiny screwdriver to straghtin them.

85 250sx
01-19-2007, 08:19 PM
just blast them it worked great for me and did not damage the cooling fins at all. just make sure to plug all the holes first so no sand gets in. I also just left mine bare and have not noticed any type of corossion and its been over a year now